Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Help!! Engine smoking after FM 107 install. Need ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:06 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Help!! Engine smoking after FM 107 install. Need ideas.

New heads, cylinders and pistons from Fuel Moto. Just finished buttoning her up last night. I started the bike to heat cycle after the install and everything seemed fine for the first few seconds, sounds good, a little rough due to the tune, but then smoke starts drifting out of the cylinder area. Can't pinpoint where it's coming from, but it's a significant amount. Not coming from exhaust flange. Shut it down and checked the pushrod tubes and there was an oil leak from the rear intake rod enough to drip a little oil into the fin area. I pulled the tubes down, checked the O rings (fine) and then reseated them.(original rings not up in there either) I cleaned the area around the tube as much as I could and restarted. Seemed fine at first again, then started smoking after it heated up. Could this be residual oil from the first leak? Could a head gasket leak produce smoke like that? Any ideas on how to pinpoint the smoke source? It seems to just be coming from the area between the two cylinders, but it is hard to tell. It doesn't smell like burnt oil, so I started fearing that it might be a head gasket leak. I will take all thoughts and suggestions as I would love to exhaust all ideas before tearing into it again and replacing everything from the base O ring and gasket along the way.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

this is normal after starting up a fresh engine.as long as you don't see oil leaking out of the engine, start the bike do 3 heat cycles. I use a infrared gun to monitor the cylinders till they reach 150 degrees and than shut it off let it cool till the ambient temp is reached and repeat process. the smoke will go away. than take it for a short spin and stop and look for any leaks should be fine.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM
kishstl
Road Master

Originally Posted by target64
this is normal after starting up a fresh engine.as long as you don't see oil leaking out of the engine, start the bike do 3 heat cycles. I use a infrared gun to monitor the cylinders till they reach 150 degrees and than shut it off let it cool till the ambient temp is reached and repeat process. the smoke will go away. than take it for a short spin and stop and look for any leaks should be fine.
Thanks!!! So glad to hear. I will do it and repost.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

The effect you are seeing is normal, this is the protectant that we coat the cylinders with evaporating as the engine comes up to temp.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

LOL....You need to let folks know then so they do not have the living chit scared outta them on first start-up.....

Odd he posted here as i would have been on the phone to you chaps in 10 sconds...

Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GraemeR
LOL....You need to let folks know then so they do not have the living chit scared outta them on first start-up.....

Odd he posted here as i would have been on the phone to you chaps in 10 sconds...
well anyone with the experience of rebuilding engine's no matter what it was going in would have known their is residue that will burn off and cause some smoke. there are a lot of people these days that are tackling these jobs trying to save on the cost but have got in over their heads at times. and where lacking the experience when something goes wrong . then want to blame the other guy.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:04 PM
kishstl
Road Master

Did both. But happened over the weekend. Got a call right back from Keith at FM. Not in over my head, been pulling bikes apart since '77. Yes, a little smoke and noise while things seat but never seen a new build smoke like this. No blame was being cast anywhere. Not sure where that's coming from. Why so negative??

Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by kishstl
Did both. But happened over the weekend. Got a call right back from Keith at FM. Not in over my head, been pulling bikes apart since '77. Yes, a little smoke and noise while things seat but never seen a new build smoke like this. No blame was being cast anywhere. Not sure where that's coming from. Why so negative??
I would have contacted FM first, not splashed a public query in here! Is everything OK now?

Old 04-09-2014, 05:08 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kishstl
i committed on graemer , not your post no harm ment towards u it just after reading his post if it scared him so much why would he tackle a job like that.