Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Woods 777s Beware of Stock Springs And his BS

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 AM
swampking
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woods 777s Beware of Stock Springs And his BS

Well I went on vacation last week got to and broke a Valve Spring with my Woods 777 cams and Stock beehive springs in my 08 Roadglide. It's a 107 build. I call Bobby Woods and asked him about it and he said he had never had a Spring brake with that Cam and Stock springs. He told me he had better springs but they were not needed. But if someone is doing a build they should always use bigger springs and he hade some. So I asked him if that were the case why are they listed on his web site as for stock springs and he really got pissed and blamed it on the guy that did my heads because he should have knowen to put bigger springs in them. Lesson here first this is my 5th and last set of woods cams. Bobby Woods talks out of both sides of his mouth at the same time. And if you have a 107 build with 777 and stock beehives beware. By the way I was going less than 40 MPH when it broke just riding through town.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There is very little relative information and a lot of blaming the other guy in your post. When building high performance engines it is the responsibility of the builder to verify that parts are compatible. How many miles are on this Build?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

And not just compatibility but soundness. I guess Bob should be able to see and check both over the phone.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

It isn't Woods fault that the guy that put it together didn't know what he was doing.

I have run lots of Woods cams in my bikes and have never had a problem.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM
johnnyjellybean
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

you dont mention if they were new stock springs or the originals ........... if they were new , did you heat cycle them?

Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I think if Woods said that his cam can be used with stock springs and it breaks a stock spring, it is the fault of the manufacturer. If springs need to be changed, it should have said so in the literature. What is the builder supposed to do if the literature says it can be used with stock springs? I would be very skeptical of Woods literature from now on.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:55 AM
johnnyjellybean
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
I think if Woods said that his cam can be used with stock springs and it breaks a stock spring, it is the fault of the manufacturer. If springs need to be changed, it should have said so in the literature. What is the builder supposed to do if the literature says it can be used with stock springs? I would be very skeptical of Woods literature from now on.
you can have double springs good for .700 lift but if they not heat cycled when new, you stand the chance of premature failure.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:22 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,106 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by swampking
Well I went on vacation last week got to and broke a Valve Spring with my Woods 777 cams and Stock beehive springs in my 08 Roadglide. It's a 107 build. I call Bobby Woods and asked him about it and he said he had never had a Spring brake with that Cam and Stock springs. He told me he had better springs but they were not needed. But if someone is doing a build they should always use bigger springs and he hade some. So I asked him if that were the case why are they listed on his web site as for stock springs and he really got pissed and blamed it on the guy that did my heads because he should have knowen to put bigger springs in them. Lesson here first this is my 5th and last set of woods cams. Bobby Woods talks out of both sides of his mouth at the same time. And if you have a 107 build with 777 and stock beehives beware. By the way I was going less than 40 MPH when it broke just riding through town.
When we talked this morning you mentioned you had your heads done as part of your build, there lies the question. I would highly recommend getting with the company that did your heads and see how they were setup. Between Fuel Moto and Bobby Wood we have in the thousands of bikes running stock springs with TW-777 and other .575 lift cams and have had zero issues.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-16-2014, 10:17 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 there....Fancy trying to blame the Cam instead of the builder! This guy sounds like a bit of bollocks to me as if it was my build I would have:
a. Asked the questions of the head builder up front regarding compatibility of parts in my build.
b. Gone straight back to the Builder if something broke instead of randomly picking a part and blaming that.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 04-17-2014, 05:15 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

The 777 is ok under the OE spring, something else is going on.
We've seen broken springs before, even on bone-stock OE set-ups.
When Wood had K-Motion springs as his vendor, we lived in hell, with the multitude of broken inner springs we had to attend to from those spring packs................he warranted the spring...........we ate all the rest.

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility