Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

NOT SO GOOD Experience w/ Vee Twin Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
Thumbs down NOT SO GOOD Experience w/ Vee Twin Performance

This is just my experince with Kirby Apathy of Vee Twin Performance to inform others getting work done by him.

1. Got Stage III heads ($1,200) - 1.980/1.615, compression reliefs, new seals, valves, guides, & RUNNERS LEFT STOCK (instead of 1.760)!
  2. Metal shavings left in fins when reliefs where installed.
  3. Short email responses never outlining the exact headwork being done.

Kirby wanted me to ship the heads back to him, so he can cut the runners w/ a $18 fee for new seals! What about taking apart me newly built motor, gaskets, and shipping fees ($200)!

HOW HARD AND HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO CUT STOCK RUNNERS TO STOCK????????.........on STAGE III, really! I justed wanted to be compensated back for not cutting my runners and all would have been fine.

He said 1.760 would cause an intake leak with my stock 1.610 t-body, what!!!! The seals are huge and would cover everything. BAISLY cut my friends heads to 1.800 w/ stock t-body setup, so he has the option of installing a bigger t-body down the line, in which the next season he went with an S&S t-body and had ZERO problems with his stock t-body!

Below are emails during the work (I highlighted where he recomended to go w/ 1.760 and then my response that it's fine, but I will hold off on getting a t-body from him till next season to maximize the full potential of the heads).

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: kirby apathy <veetwinracing@hotmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: Head Porting

Hey Kirby,

That's sounds great! Yes, S&S 585 is what I will go with. Next season is probably when I will get the bigger throttle body to get full benefit of the heads. When I'm ready for a new t body I will contact you.
Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 19, 2013, at 8:02 AM, kirby apathy <veetwinracing@hotmail.com> wrote:

fishing up your heads,did you decide on a cam? (I think the .585 is a good choice) also,we were talking about a larger T.body with 1.760 or 1.800 runners,any decision there? (ide go with the 1.760) kirby

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 19:09:33 -0700 From: danpacyna@yahoo.com Subject: Re: Head Porting To: veetwinracing@hotmail.comKirby,

When you figure out the route that you can go with my heads can you email me the valves that you will install, the spring you will install, etc... I have decided not to go with the woods tw8-9 (590 lift) I just dont want to beat the heck out of my parts. I am leaning towards andrews or S&S 585(not ez start since I rather have compression releases). I dont want to go above 600. Gear drive will depend on how true my motor is, which I will test when all is apart. Last I spoke to you I mentioned I ordered woods lifters, well I switched that order to the S&S premium hyrdaulic lifters instead.

I can't decide on the push rods, wheather to get S&S adjustable or the S&S Quickee rods. Have you had experince with the quickee rods?

Let me know your recommendations for an awesome setup. From start to finish I will post my build on HDForums, so you'll have some advertisment there.

Thanks,
Dan Pacyna
847-924-7062

P.S.
Here's my address:
1054 Hampton Hbr.
Schaumburg, IL 60193

To: kirby apathy <veetwinracing@hotmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: Head Porting

Kirby,

Here is the tracking info for the heads coming your way that I bought from eBay:

FedEx

Looks like they will arrive to you on Thursday ready for you to work your magic. We'll talk more then.

Thanks,
Dan Pacyna
847-924-7062

To: Dan Pacyna <danpacyna@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2013 6:16 AM
Subject: RE: Head Porting

will do
Subject: Head Porting From: danpacyna@yahoo.com Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 22:48:55 -0500 To: veetwinracing@hotmail.comKirby,

Just pulled the trigger & bought a pair of 2010 highlighted 96" heads in excellent shape. I told the seller to ship them to your address thats on your website. Call or email me when they come in and we'll talk about the stage porting about the setup for my 2009 Dyna.

Like I mentioned to you before I'm most likely going to go with your stage 3 setup, but we'll talk.

Thanks,
Dan Pacyna
847-924-7062

Top Answer

03-31-2021, 05:18 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

OK,last comment on this 7 year old bullshit. the first guy (bobber) had me do heads,i asked about t body runner size and he said he may go to a bigger t body later,well sorry,i set the heads up for whats being run at the time of the build (i did offer to go bigger on the ports later when he decided to go with bigger runners for free & he would only have to pay for seals) that wasnt good enough and he wanted "compensation",whatever the **** that means.then this second jerk off supposibly got a head with a bent stud witch didnt happen here as the ex flange wouldnt have fit when flow testing in my shop & had grass clippings in his ports (since i dont mow grass in my shop & it would be immposible to have this happen),im calling bullshit here too(i do remember sending out another v seal set,but have no idea about the rest which he never complianed about until now 7 years later (inc the shortage of 1 gasket,not "half the kit", from the cometic kit,sorry i dont work for them & had nothing to do with packing their boxes) .how about we (shops) have a section for crybaby,impossible to please customers? well screw both you guys,im done on this now

Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

I don't want to get into a pissing war here, but to inform others that may potentially get work done here and not be satisfied.

In the beginning I stressed to Kirby to go all out and that I DIDNT want to take things apart again, so to do it right and be done!

Last edited by HD Bobber; 04-27-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:52 PM
prodrag1320
Banned

been round & round with this.the heads were ported for the t. body you were using at the time the heads were done (8/13) that was a stock (1.610) t.body,now your going to a bigger t.body and im the MFer because the head ports wernt opened to this runner size (witch I didn't have at the time of porting,if you look at your own emails,you never said to go to the 1.760 opening.it was just a suggestion by me),not sure who you've talked to in the last 7 months,but its not how things work.i have now offered to open the heads & ports for the t. body you've got now for free (besides the new v. seals)but I guess that's not good enough (witch the "problem" wasn't my fault to begin with),and I thought that was being pretty white about it.im sorry im not a mind reader & coulnt anticipate the future mods you may or may not do

Last edited by prodrag1320; 04-27-2014 at 06:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by prodrag1320:
Mattbastard (04-07-2021), touchdown (03-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2014, 03:31 PM
prodrag1320
Banned

BTW,my street port to my stage IV heads don't come with any "standard" port size (ei. 1.610,1.700,1.760 or 1.800 or whatever)their set to whats being used at the time.ive done street ports with 1.800 ports,as ive done stage II,III or IV with 1.610`s

Old 04-28-2014, 09:43 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

All I know is that there are a lot of important details in headwork; valve sizes, springs,
decking, intake runner size, compression releases, extent of headwork(Levels), etc, etc.
When I was called to come pick up my heads, I asked some questions and found out that the heads were not decked enough for the compression I was shooting for - sure would have been a PITA to figure that out after install.

Just an unfortunate event all around, have appreciated both of your contributions to the Forum.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:33 PM
fidel
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you dont check the port size before installed them ???

Old 04-28-2014, 10:36 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Hopefully this gets all sorted out. Sucks yer not happy Bobber.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im gona be judge judy, i dont see where HD bobber replied to kirbys email saying to go ahead with the 1.760 runners. if my bike was at my builders shop for some work and he suggested taking apart my 113 and doing a 131 in a email and i didnt respond directly about the 131, would i responsible for paying him an extra 7k in parts and labor even though i didnt respond to his suggesting about a 131.

hd bobber sucks your in this situation i remember some time back you asking questions about building a motor, i replied saying to contact scott or kirby and they can get you going. my self i have never spoke to or met kirby id say he is a good guy with great reviews, seems like you had a lot of trust in him on these forums you recommended him to numerous people and asked him advice. sucks to end a business relationship like that. your one neg review will not effect him at all, he has way to many happy customers.

prodrag: as you know sometimes you have to fire a customer.

hd bobber: how much did you want to be compensated back?

Last edited by brandon95354; 04-28-2014 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pgreer (03-27-2021)
Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

I simply asked for compensation as I don't think I deserved to pay $1200 for heads that have to come off again, so I didn't even throw a number at him and his replies were simply no!

Main reason I did this is because who knows if this has happened before and when it will happen again, but if we never mention anything then nothing will he done to improve.

Maybe now he will have a sheet written/email listing EVERYTHING being performed w/ customer approval. If this could be provided I will take everything back I said, but stock runners have never been agreed upon.

....I'm not saying or have never said he is a bad head porter (I'm sure my heads will produce great HP), just more care could have been done during my build.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:24 AM
prodrag1320
Banned

this is my last post on this subject.you change your mind on cam choices 3 or 4 times during the porting of the heads,you never decided on a t. body,so I had no choice but to leave the ports stock and the stage III to the heads is 895.00,not 1200.00

Quick Reply: NOT SO GOOD Experience w/ Vee Twin Performance