Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

1995 Dyna FXDS rear cyl smoke at idle consuming oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 PM
mojojones1
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Dyna FXDS rear cyl smoke at idle consuming oil

Need advice, 1995 FXDS Dyna Convertible 80" with 29,000 original miles Evo all stock except for screamin eagle can and ignition, k&n air filter and SE short shot pipes. Bike had been sitting for around two months due to a baby on the way, installed new battery and fired her up first warm day of spring. Notices small amount of whitish smoke from rear cylinder exhaust only. Cant tell if its blueish or not but it's not black. Warmed her up for 30 minutes still same amount of smoke. Tried revving and slamming throttle shut, no difference. Seems to idle Finland rev fine no miss no slag. I did replace the rocker box gaskets (everything from box up) as one leaked slightly several hundred miles ago, long before i noticed the smoke. Where do i start? Please help i want to do the work myself i have a service manual but want to invest the $ in the tools rather than pay the dealer.

Last edited by mojojones1; 05-08-2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention 29,000 original miles
Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by mojojones1
Need advice, 1995 FXDS Dyna Convertible 80" with 29,000 original miles Evo all stock except for screamin eagle can and ignition, k&n air filter and SE short shot pipes. Bike had been sitting for around two months due to a baby on the way, installed new battery and fired her up first warm day of spring. Notices small amount of whitish smoke from rear cylinder exhaust only. Cant tell if its blueish or not but it's not black. Warmed her up for 30 minutes still same amount of smoke. Tried revving and slamming throttle shut, no difference. Seems to idle Finland rev fine no miss no slag. I did replace the rocker box gaskets (everything from box up) as one leaked slightly several hundred miles ago, long before i noticed the smoke. Where do i start? Please help i want to do the work myself i have a service manual but want to invest the $ in the tools rather than pay the dealer.
Take the bike for a ride and then check the plugs for signs of oil burning. Next step is to get compression and leak down testers. Run those tests and you will have better handle on the problem. Sounds like a valve guide seals may have gone dry while sitting for two months; don't know. Read up on compression and leakdown tests; tools are not that expensive and the test results should point you to the source of the smoke.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:14 AM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did the EXACT same thing, then next thing I know, oil was coming out of the exhaust pipe. Had a busted valve seal! Bike had been sitting for a while too. I don't know if that's the case with yours, but something to think about