Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Carbon Build-up...Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:10 PM
racer11
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by northeastconfederate
Combustion chamber cleaning: GM Top Engine Cleaner does a hell of a job of this. When I was a Benz mechanic, we used this stuff regularly on cars that got driven... what, softly? Lightly? And ended up with carboned/coked up combustion chambers and valves. It is (or at least was) available in an aerosol can which works well on bike carbs/throttle bodies. Follow the directions on the can closely. And make sure to point the exhausr AWAY from your garage and house. The stuff REALLY stinks when the motor gets going and blows it and all the carbon, etc, out the exhaust.

If I can figure out how to post pics via my phone on here I'll post up my venting setup. It's not all that visible byt what can be seen of it looks at least tolerable. Actually pretty good.
I'm dying to see your venting pics,,,,I pondered a venting route for mine and could not think up something that I thought looked acceptable.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:15 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll see if I can get them posted up at work tonight; if not, will do it tomorrow afternoon before I go to work.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:02 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Here is one way to skin the cat. Could be plumbed higher if one wanted to hide as much of it as possible behind the air filter. Most is out of sight when the filter cover is in place.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that KrankVents are attached at the head breather outlets; can't see for the filter.

Last edited by djl; 09-11-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Chevron Techron Injector Concentrate. Fill tank with pure gas if possible, install 5oz of Techron and run it hard. Do this for 3 tankfulls and then about every 10 tankfulls. This stuff works on carbon in combustion chamber.

Last edited by checkers; 09-10-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:00 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Duralt is another good fuel conditioner; used to be available at H-D dealerships and touted by the MoCo as their recommended fuel treatment.

http://www.fueladditivestore.com/duralt.html

Old 09-11-2014, 11:55 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,205 Likes on 8,361 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Back when EFI hit the market in the automotive industry and coolant temps went regularly to 210 degrees F, coupled with EGR valves, the carbon build up in the small 4 cylinder engines was unreal, to the point were exhaust vales would hold a large mushroom size piece of carbon buildup that would totally block the exhaust port creating a major skip in the engine (no air out, makes no air in, makes no power) we actually were able to clean all that with MMO. To date I still use in all my cars and my Harley. Crankcase and Fuel tank. love it, swear by it....Over 30 years......

Old 09-11-2014, 02:23 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer

Here are a few pix of my vent setup. I still have to devise a catch can. I'm trying to dream up an aluminum can with a vent filter and drain plug, possibly with a couple of baffles to provide a "torturous path". We'll see how that turns out. Maybe attach to the back of the transmission pan or something. It's made with 4AN PTFE (Teflon) braided stainless from each breather attachment at the air cleaner (the passages into the intake are welded shut); the union under the air filter is a Tee that is 4AN on the ends, 6AN in the middle; there's a KrankVent under the motor, between the motor and trans pan; the line then runs along the trans pan on the exhaust side and you can see where it ends (with no fitting or anything right now) at the back of the frame by the side cover. This is where I am going to try to put a catch can of some sort, like I said, maybe attach to the back of the trans pan or something.

Attached Thumbnails Carbon Build-up...Prevention-20140823_113844.jpg  
Old 09-11-2014, 03:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by northeastconfederate
Here are a few pix of my vent setup. I still have to devise a catch can. I'm trying to dream up an aluminum can with a vent filter and drain plug, possibly with a couple of baffles to provide a "torturous path".
I am also working on an aluminum catch can of some sort but haven't figured it out yet; need a really small filter. Not so worried about a drain plug; not that much blow buy.

I have vented mine similar to yours but without all the AN fittings, just plastic tees and nineties and black hose. The current catch can is fabricated from a small piece of capped PVC stuffed with the mesh that you find in the OEM head breathers. Route of the out hose is between the cylinders, low in the V down as yours is routed to a small inline lawnmower fuel filter. After a hard 300 mile ride, there might be a drop that drips out of the small filter but nothing of any consequence.

Last edited by djl; 01-19-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 294 Likes on 157 Posts

My old V8 mercury used to get a couple of good blasts of plain old water into the carb from a spray bottle while a buddy revved it up..cleaned up the valve train pretty good.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:20 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer

I am also working on an aluminum catch can of some sort but haven't figured it out yet; need a really small filter. Not so worried about a drain plug; not that much blow buy.

I have vented mine similar to yours but without all the AN fittings, just plastic tees and nineties and black hose. The current catch can is fabricated from a small piece of capped PVC stuffed with the mesh that you find in the OEM head breathers. Route of the out hose is between the cylinders, low in the V down as yours is routed to a small inline lawnmower fuel filter. After a hard 300 mile ride, there might be a drop that drips out of the small filter but nothing of any consequence.[/QUOTE]

I saw a pretty good catch can in a speed shop in Vegas (which is where I was when I built this motor initially); it was maybe an inch and a quarter in diameter, had a K&N type breather/filter on one end and pipe thread on the opposite end; I almost bought it, but it was $50 and had no guts, was just empty. I figured I could machine something nicer or as nice for a lot less, plus it was a little long (6" or so) and would need some welding on for brackets, etc plus baffles inside. Couldn't see paying $50 and doing all that to it. Maybe a PVC catch can is in order until I get something like that figured out. I have a few spare head breather "sponges"; I was thinking Scotch Brite, but I bet those head breather sponges would fit right inside a standard size pipe.