Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Tool to unload AND remove TC88 tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:24 PM
enginesludge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool to unload AND remove TC88 tensioner

I would like to replace the cam tensioner shoes on my 05 softtail TC88 engine. I am looking for a tool to remove the tensioner. I like to only replace the shoes and the inner bearings. I dont really want to do the inner bearings but; the book says it is required to do this service anytime the cam is removed. I will use Torrington. But; Nothing else. I found several tools & pins used to unload the tensioner so the cam can be removed, then the tensioner can be removed. I want to leave the cam in place.

Can I leave the cams in and just easy the tensioners out? Is there a tool for that job and who makes that and what is it called? This would have to compress the spring and hold it while I remove the tensioner. Then I assume release the spring gently so I could R&R the shoes.

I dont want more power, or wake up anything or improve anything (beyond Cyco shoes and inner bearing). Just get new shoes in there with min time and cost. And still do it right.

Thank you for your help, and any tips much appreciated.

Last edited by enginesludge; 08-27-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by enginesludge
I would like to replace the cam tensioner shoes on my 05 softtail TC88 engine. I am looking for a tool to remove the tensioner. I like to only replace the shoes and the inner bearings. I dont really want to do the inner bearings but; the book says it is required to do this service anytime the cam is removed. I will use Torrington. But; Nothing else. I found several tools & pins used to unload the tensioner so the cam can be removed, then the tensioner can be removed. I want to leave the cam in place.

Can I leave the cams in and just easy the tensioners out? Is there a tool for that job and who makes that and what is it called? This would have to compress the spring and hold it while I remove the tensioner. Then I assume release the spring gently so I could R&R the shoes.

I dont want more power, or wake up anything or improve anything (beyond Cyco shoes and inner bearing). Just get new shoes in there with min time and cost. And still do it right.

Thank you for your help, and any tips much appreciated.
Short answer is that it can be done but you really need the right tool for the job. The problem is the inner tensioner. Since you must relieve the spring pressure on the tensioner to remove it, you can't do that with the inner without removing the cams and inner chain. No issue with the outer as you can pull the tensioner away from the chain and remove the chain/sprockets, replace the tensioner and reinstall the chain/sprockets; can't do that with the inner.

Some guys modify a 21mm socket with two notches; one for the tensioner arm and one for the spring but I have never tried so cannot attest to how effective that method is. Check the link to a YouTube video; the guy sells and rents a tool he made which makes the job quick and easy.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently did mine. A thick screwdriver to move them, slowly released spring pressure, and small diameter punches to hold them still for installation. Cams must come out to install the inner one. I did the Cyco pads too. Didn't use their tool to swap pads. 3/4 inch socket, a punch, and a ball peen hammer did just fine

A proper tensioner tool would have been a little easier, but I like being creative and saving money

Old 08-28-2014, 02:40 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Strahley
Cams must come out to install the inner one.
Not with the right tool. Can buy, rent or make one.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Strahley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
Not with the right tool. Can buy, rent or make one.
I saw the wrong one then. It was too bulky to get in there. No matter, I was swapping cams anyway so no loss

Old 08-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Krutch
Tourer

Depending on the year and model, the inner can be changed but the cam support plate must come out. Not necessarily cams out of the support plate but the assembly must to get at the inner shoe.
Now, I claim this not having done one yet. Just my research into the operation.
Some models, the cams will come out of the support plate without the tool for pressing the cams.
A wire or similar rod will suffice for the paid for tool to hold the tensioner while changing the shoe.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Krutch
Depending on the year and model, the inner can be changed but the cam support plate must come out. Not necessarily cams out of the support plate but the assembly must to get at the inner shoe. Now, I claim this not having done one yet. Just my research into the operation. Some models, the cams will come out of the support plate without the tool for pressing the cams. A wire or similar rod will suffice for the paid for tool to hold the tensioner while changing the shoe.
Basically you are almost right. Year and model has nothing to do with it; '99-'07 (except '06 Dyna) are all the same before the advent of the hydraulic tensioners. The OP is replacing the OEM shoes with the CYCO shoe which requires removal of the tensioner from the cam plate which can be done, with the right tool, without removing the cams from the plate. That was the OPs original question.

You are also correct that some cams will slip out of the bearings but most will stay in and even if they slip out; the retainer plate on the backside of the cam plate will keep them from coming all the way out if the front chain and sprockets have been removed.

If you wan to be entertained, go check out some of the YouTube videos of guys that are completely clueless and watch them struggle, without the proper tools, to remove the inner tensioner without removing the cams. These guys should not be allowed to come near a tool box.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Krutch
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl

If you wan to be entertained, go check out some of the YouTube videos of guys that are completely clueless and watch them struggle, without the proper tools, to remove the inner tensioner without removing the cams. These guys should not be allowed to come near a tool box.

I've worked on many shovels, pans and had a hand in getting a knuck up & running. Been doing that kind of work for 40+ years. So I KNOW there are some who ought to be barred from turning a wrench on bikes or most other things. If I could remember all of the things I've seen done in the name of the HD gods, I might be able to write a book on how NOT to "fix" a Harley.
Hell I did some of those things myself when I first started ridding.
A lot of times I'd get invited on a run just because I could get their bikes back on the road for them. Some would never spend a dime on dependability but waste much on "pretties". And I don't mean the ones at the bar, either!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 PM
enginesludge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you djl, that video is just the ticket. After viewing that I sent him an email asking his prices.

I also found this home made tool:

I need to watch that a few time more to consider that vs the reply from the first option.

One point I did not follow on the first video (midwesttool88) is where he briefly showed a socket shape tool and something about using that to reinstall the plate. I just dont follow that bit. I see those on ebay, assume it was not something I wanted or needed. If anyone know about those and why a man with a good tool would want that also? For cam removal maybe, but not for the job I plan of the video. Right?