Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Hesitation off Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Trim Reaper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation off Idle

2011 Road Glide TC. All engine mods are listed in my signature. The throttle body is stock. I've had the bike tuned by two different dyno tuners here in my area and neither has eliminated this problem. Actually I don't think either tuner was able to reproduce the hesitation when on the dyno. One possible important clue. This always happens when the bike is hot. The hotter the worse it is. If the bike is cold, just getting warmed up it does not happen.
So here is what happens- Sitting at idle say at a red light. When starting to take off engine will cut out/hesitate pop-pop backfire sometimes. I can pull in the clutch and rev it and it goes away, but this hesitation isn't right. Also say slowing down considerably to make a right hand turn. No throttle, while making the turn, then as exiting the turn I roll the throttle and again hesitation, pop-pop etc. It starts firing normally after the hesitation but like I say it's not right.
This always happens when the bike is well warmed up or outright hot. It's sometimes 110 degrees here in Phoenix area and that's when it gets really bad.
Any comments?

Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Trim Reaper
2011 Road Glide TC. All engine mods are listed in my signature. The throttle body is stock. I've had the bike tuned by two different dyno tuners here in my area and neither has eliminated this problem. Actually I don't think either tuner was able to reproduce the hesitation when on the dyno. One possible important clue. This always happens when the bike is hot. The hotter the worse it is. If the bike is cold, just getting warmed up it does not happen.
So here is what happens- Sitting at idle say at a red light. When starting to take off engine will cut out/hesitate pop-pop backfire sometimes. I can pull in the clutch and rev it and it goes away, but this hesitation isn't right. Also say slowing down considerably to make a right hand turn. No throttle, while making the turn, then as exiting the turn I roll the throttle and again hesitation, pop-pop etc. It starts firing normally after the hesitation but like I say it's not right.
This always happens when the bike is well warmed up or outright hot. It's sometimes 110 degrees here in Phoenix area and that's when it gets really bad.
Any comments?
Engine temp sensor may be faulty. I can't see your sig in mobile app but see what your tuner shows as temp at the times it occurs if it can.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Trim Reaper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Engine temp sensor may be faulty. I can't see your sig in mobile app but see what your tuner shows as temp at the times it occurs if it can.
Thanks, I'll bring that up with my tuner.
Engine mods are as follows-
Patrick Racing Headwork, 10.5/1 pistons, 106in S&S Jugs, Andrews 55HG gear drive cams, Ness Big Sucker AC, V&H True Duals with High Output Slip-ons, Power Commander tuner.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:10 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Maybe an intake leak? Mine had a hesitation when at a stop light when I tried to take off when hot. Took it back to my tuner and he said show him what its doing and of course it wouldn't happen. than it finally did it in front of him, it wheezed and popped when blipping the throttle. He put it back on the dyno and I think he added a little fuel off idle. Made a 500 mile trip in 100* heat and it ran good. He did say that a better tuning can be done if I put the 02 sensors back in and install a TTS Mastertune.