EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Generic Dyno Jet Kit

Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 AM
2manyhobbies75
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took it back apart this morning, the clip was in the third groove from the end with three washers under it...

I have never tuned a CV carb so this is new territory for me (maybe I should have started a new thread). I put it back together with no spacers and the e-clip n the 4th grove. Right now it is backfiring through the carb at about 1500 rpm... Baby it past there and it will accelerate fine. Almost seems like the slide is opening early??

As far as I know the only engine mods are air filter and exhaust.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 437 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies75
I took it back apart this morning, the clip was in the third groove from the end with three washers under it...

I have never tuned a CV carb so this is new territory for me (maybe I should have started a new thread). I put it back together with no spacers and the e-clip n the 4th grove. Right now it is backfiring through the carb at about 1500 rpm... Baby it past there and it will accelerate fine. Almost seems like the slide is opening early??

As far as I know the only engine mods are air filter and exhaust.

There shouldn't be any washers under the clip and there should be a spacer on top of the clip.

To check that you need to hold the white plastic piece upside down and put the needle into it, if the circlip slides into the hole or if it doesn't sit nicely against the outside of the hole then you need a spacer in there (usually comes with the kit but the kits vary).

Take the spacers out and move the clip down by 2 grooves and try again.

I had a choice of needle and my Indy said to use the fattest one. If you should have the spacer above the clip and its missing then the needle will oscillate as the slide opens and closes and this makes them run bad.

I had no spacer available so I made one out of JB weld.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:50 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Those washers go on top of the clip and allows the larger retainer to hold the needle into the slide. Without the washers the needle moves up and down and is not held by anything until it reaches the clip.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:21 PM
2manyhobbies75
Cruiser

Well I worked on it more today with the result being that it is back on the bench, taken apart.

I moved the washers to the top, not much better, off idle backfire through the carb. Started looking a little harder, turned the idle air mixture screw all the way in and the bike did not stall, ran a little rougher, but I am thinking I should be able to starve the engine doing this (at least on other engines I have worked on... usually I turn the idle air mix screw in until the idle changes and back it back out a little) ?

I did the propane test to make sure I had no leaks and I could not detect a change in how the engine was running.

So I took the carb off and back apart to check the float level, check for proper assembly ect... - float level checked out at ~ 0.419" @ 17º tilt. I didnt see anything glaring that was wrong. Then I started thinking that possibly the enrichener valve is not sealing properly?? Maybe the 48 idle jet is just too big?

So far I am thinking that my next steps are to get a 45 idle jet and a new enrichener valve.

You guys have any ideas?

edit: this does have the dynojet emulsion tube with two holes in it.

Last edited by 2manyhobbies75; 12-21-2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: emulsion tube info
Old 12-21-2014, 09:00 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

I had this jet kit, still do on the bench, I lowered the clip one more slot from where you have it which raised the needle. Ran a 45 pilot and it seemed better. I've since gone and changed to a whole CV Performance carb jet kit and a brand new vacuum slide and I can't get rid of the off idle cough same as you're getting now. Try the needle up higher with the clip lower see what you get. Others may offer better advice just sharing what worked for me before I spent $50 and made no progress. Also, I changed the intake seals too. No difference. Before the season ended I moved to a 46 pilot but never got a chance to test it.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

If you pulled the emulsion tube, did the needle jet come out? If so it may have been put in backwards which will make it run lousy. The squared end butts up to the emulsion tube as shown here:
http://www.cv-performance.com/harley...tuning-issues/

Might also try the CVP Velocity Needle

http://www.cv-performance.com/cvp-velocity-needle/

Old 12-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Off idle cough is usually a lean condition, with the washers removed from under the clip it will be lean as hell so as per my earlier post you need to change the clip position to at least one notch further down.

Mine runs a 45 low speed jet so your 48 should fine.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:45 AM
2manyhobbies75
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Off idle cough is usually a lean condition, with the washers removed from under the clip it will be lean as hell so as per my earlier post you need to change the clip position to at least one notch further down.

Mine runs a 45 low speed jet so your 48 should fine.
I didn't mention that in my post, but I had moved the clip to the 4th notch from the end, so 1 notch closer to the pointy tip.

The part that really confused me was that when I turned the needle all the way in I could not change the idle much.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:51 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

I didn't mention that in my post, but I had moved the clip to the 4th notch from the end, so 1 notch closer to the pointy tip. The part that really confused me was that when I turned the needle all the way in I could not change the idle much.
That's because you're running a 48 pilot. If you downsize that the idle mixture screw will change

Old 12-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

I didn't mention that in my post, but I had moved the clip to the 4th notch from the end, so 1 notch closer to the pointy tip.

The part that really confused me was that when I turned the needle all the way in I could not change the idle much.

Is your accelerator pump working? If it is then go down another notch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Generic Dyno Jet Kit