EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Adding 50 hp to my FXR

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:41 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 850 Posts

Running the Rivera Pro Clutch and the catsazz, lighter pull than a stock clutch and holds 150 HP when it locks. Counting coins is out at this point so finish it off and sell your soul.

Big engines are neat and excites the caveman gene but don't rush the install and forget something, one mistake can be critical and cook one of these monsters

Last edited by 1997bagger; 01-26-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:10 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
I'm jealous, that will be a blast to ride especially up where you live.
Yeah Bud, which is why I installed the 14.5" Airshocks. Lower it to about 11.5" in the flats and raise it to 14.5" in the twisties. You gotta get pretty aggressive to get peg on this thing.

Originally Posted by Scudda
Are you planning any brake upgrades? I know when I had my 95 dyna it stopped like crap and it was all stock
Probably at some point in the future, but not right away. As soon as I got the bike home I changed the front & read pads to Lyndall Z Plus and IMO has great braking power. And I have got extremely aggressive with them in the twisties with no fade or ill effects. My Buds Titainium with Brembo floaters requires a much lighter touch for sure. But Clutch, Exhaust & Trans will probably come before the brake upgrade.

Originally Posted by Schex3x
That's gonna be lots of fun to ride, the 111 in my heavy bagger makes it go like hell, just a quick roll on in first and second, even two up, picks the front up.

I have the Barnett extra plate disk set and heavy spring, holds good.
Tried just the spring first, but after breakin, I could make it slip in high gear two up.
Good to know man, thank you.

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
****, I hear you Rich. I've got so much money into my FXR, there's no sense in ever trying to sell it. I'd lose my *** at any price. I've found that at a certain point, it's better to stop counting how much you've spent, and just enjoy the ride.

Clutch? I've got a Barnett Scorpion on mine. High $400's on Fleabay. Great clutch that can take a beating. Between your right hand, and that new S&S motor, I don't think that the stock FXR clutch will fare too well for very long.
I'm with you bud, I don't really care what I put into it. I knew on the ride home from Indiana that I loved the bike. Then once I hit the So Cal twisties I realized that I'd be keeping this ride for many years to come. So yeah, I'm committed to pissing away whatever it takes to making it perfect for me. Couldn't care less about loss of investment, it's all in the cost of having fun.

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Running the Rivera Pro Clutch and the catsazz, lighter pull than a stock clutch and holds 150 HP when it locks. Counting coins is out at this point so finish it off and sell your soul.

Good to know, I like a lighter clutch pull, especially in busy areas. Thanks for the word.

Big engines are neat and excites the caveman gene but don't rush the install and forget something, one mistake can be critical and cook one of these monsters
I couldn't agree more. I work with aircraft for a living so tend to be extremely meticulous with my wrenching. There's not much worse than finding problems in flight. But stranded out on a desert rode with my bike would suck as well. So you bet, I'll take my sweet *** time and do it right the first time.

Thanks all, I appreciate the clutch suggestions. Gotta get to wrenching. Let's see how far I can get today

Old 09-20-2014, 12:56 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Couldn't care less about loss of investment, it's all in the cost of having fun... Let's see how far I can get today
bottom line, that's what it's all about.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:59 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

That is a sweet looking lump, right there.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:10 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

You can't go wrong with S&S.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:23 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, as always with anything I do, the install took longer that I expected. I worked from 10:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Saturday. 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Sunday. And a couple more hours today. But I did have some extra work in replacing trans seals and mounting a a new fairing, wind shield & headlight. I finally got to go for a ride this evening. Did my first 60 miles anyway, and it's running great. This 111" actually runs smoother than my stock engine. And of course the power gain is outstanding. Certainly worth every bit of effort. Next will be my paint & powder coat. I'm hoping to get started on paint within the next couple of weeks. I have all extra tins, so the bike can stay together until the snow starts.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

S&S 107" here - looking good Rich! As for clutch, I have run the stock original clutch for several years, with a Barnett spring added. Copes fine 2-up and fully loaded, although I don't race it.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:22 AM
M1dniterider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet man. I know you're itching to get that stock crossover out from in front of that beauty!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:35 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
S&S 107" here - looking good Rich! As for clutch, I have run the stock original clutch for several years, with a Barnett spring added. Copes fine 2-up and fully loaded, although I don't race it.
Well thanks for the suggestion gb, I never thought of that. It's certainly worth a shot, especially for the price. I'll order some today.

Originally Posted by M1dniterider
Sweet man. I know you're itching to get that stock crossover out from in front of that beauty!
You know it bud, all in good time.