EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need advice on adjusting progressive 422 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:20 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
You're not cheering me up very much. I've worn out two sets of the Progressive 413 Softail shocks, and had to switch to the 422 last year as the 413 is discontinued. I got 60,000-70,000 out of each set of 413s. I have about 8,000 miles on my 422s and they're holding up fine so far, but your troubles are not giving me any confidence.
That is the same problem I am having with this thread.
I just put some on in February.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:44 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

I have been busy with work and some other stuff going on, so I have not been riding, until last night. I have to say it doesn't feel like the same bike at all. It actually made me a little nervous, kind of like when I ride a different bike for the first time.

First and foremost, it is a lot taller. It's not too tall for my legs or anything, but is a lot taller. I know I can adjust them to be lower, but since one of my annoyances was dragging the floorboards frequently then taller is good. So far I have not experienced any bottoming out whatsoever.

The ride itself is strange to describe. It feels both firm and soft at the same time. It's like it is firm on nice smooth pavement but is soft enough to soak up the bumps without bouncing me around or upsetting the chassis or bottoming out when I go over bumps. I guess one way to describe it is like riding on a firm cloud.

I feel like some of the firmness may go away once they are broken in. Again, when I say firm, I mean controlled, not hard or harsh.

I bought this bike bone stock with the stock shocks on it and it has had two sets of progressives on it prior to these. It has never even come close to riding as good as this since I had it. I always figured that this is just how softails ride. That apparently is not the case. The difference is dramatic enough that it is like comparing a rigid bike with a swing arm bike.

My ride was cut short last night though. Because it sits higher, it changed the angle of my headlight so much that it seems as though my light is shining down right in front me which made riding very frightening. So, I'll be adjusting the aim again which is no big deal.

Needless to say I am very happy with these shocks.

Last edited by Prot; 10-17-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Shocks don't get broken in. It is what it is.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Shocks don't get broken in. It is what it is.
I completely disagree based on my experience especially with the various suspension incarnations of my Jeeps.

Regardless, I am very pleased with these Works Performance shocks.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

HDs are not jeeps.
and I have Works myself.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Prot
Club Member

Thought I would post an update on these Works Performance shocks, now that they are broken in. Yeah, I have been riding a lot lately with the beautiful weather we have been having.

I can whole heartedly recommend them without any reservations. They are that good, for more reasons than one would expect.

Sure, they give a nice controlled ride without bottoming out and no harshness whatsoever. It is like comparing a rigid to a bike with suspension. It's these other characteristics that I am most impressed with.

Control. These shocks have improved my riding so much that I am riding as well as I used to long ago on an old Honda. The Heritage no longer feels cumbersome in corners and curves. I can flick it left or right on a whim. It tracks straight through corners effortlessly. I am yet to drag the floorboards despite leaning over more than I have ever leaned this particular bike over. I practiced emergency maneuvers and was thoroughly satisfied. I can do u-turns with forks turned all the way to the fork stop without duck walking or putting a foot down. Both feet stay on the floorboards. I no longer return from a ride with an aching back or with my whole body feeling flogged and worn out like I had spent a day working out.

All of these improvements are based on simply changing to these shocks. My bike has never been anywhere near this good before.

I was to the point where I was either going to give up riding or possibly try a 2015 Road King out. These shocks have changed my mind big time and I now love riding the old 95 Heritage Softail Classic.

Now for some forum bravado.

The last thing I rode that felt this good was my last girlfriend.