EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Help please, shouldered spacer position question

Old 10-10-2014, 05:26 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help please, shouldered spacer position question

Last night I pulled my front wheel, 1988 FLHTC, mag wheels, tapered roller bearings. I installed a new tire and repacked my bearings. On one side there was a shouldered spacer washer under the bearing. When I pulled that bearing out the washer was stuck to it and at first I didn't notice that it was shouldered, that is like a small washer glued to a big washer. I think that the big washer side was towards the bearing and the small washer side was toward the spacer in the hub. I put it back that way. The book says that the shoulder side goes to the bearing. Thing is, I don't know that the heck that means. Help.. Does the big washer side go towards the bearing and the smaller side go inward? If so I'm good. If not I need to pull that wheel back off and flip it over.

And, when I repacked the bearings there was no tire on the rim so, I don't know if that spacer/washer was on the right side or the left side. Can somebody help me out with this? I need to fix it today. Got a big event tomorrow morning. Thanks a bunch.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:33 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 429 Likes on 247 Posts

Small side to bearing so there is clearance between the washer and the outer race.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 AM
falconbrother
Road Master

I'm going to stop by the dealer on the way home and pick up new grease seals. I need to switch that around. I called an indie mechanic and he said that the the small step goes out to the bearing but, he says: "It really doesn't matter". He said that if the spacing is correct the bearing cage and race wont rub the spacer anyway. Nevertheless, by dinner time tonight mine will be right. I think that it was backwards when I took it apart but, can't say for sure.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:18 PM
falconbrother
Road Master

I just want to note that the indie guy I talked too was bloody wrong on the position of the shoulder spacer. I pulled the wheel and was able to look past the bearing and see which side I needed to pull apart. Behind the shoulder spacer was a paper thin metal shim. It wasn't damaged but, I have no doubt that it would not be able to take a lot of abuse. I flipped the shoulder spacer over, repacked the bearing and reinstalled a new grease seal. It's all good now. The new tires really ride differently. No wobbles now, really smooth ride. I gotta throw big support for balance beads.