EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Touring Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:58 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino-1
Was that $600 for the pair? That would be quite reasonable if they work as stated.
I actually found them on Amazon for $400. Might have been a fluke tho. Haven't seen them for that price since, except for on ebay once in a while. As stated previously I went with the 944 HD 1st. Ride 2up and loaded most of the time. Way too stiff, had them re-sprung to the standard spring and have em set at 2 in the mid-range. It's better, not perfect yet, but better!

Old 10-15-2014, 12:47 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
How stiff are they? The Ohlins, are they plush and smooth?
They're not stiff, they behave as we would all like shocks to. Howard, previously mentioned, will supply springs to match your weights, not 'normal' or 'heavy duty' ones!

It is worth pointing out that the springs on shocks or forks only do one job, which is to hold up the bike. In the case of Ohlins, the springs are adjustable, so having got your nice new shiny ones from Howard and installed them, he will advise you how to set them up just so. They will bed in over the first few hundred miles and become smoother. You are able to fine tune the springs yourself.

What makes shocks exceptional, like Ohlins, is the design and quality of manufacture of the damping components. It is the dampers that smooth out the ripples, bumps and thumps, which is where your money goes. Mrs B and I have #3-3 stock length ones and have travelled many thousands of happy, smooth and comfortable miles on them.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Running Ohlins here also, 2.5-3's, which are the 6's with no seperate reservoir, emulsion style, adjustable damping, 94mm travel IIRC.
Not only the tremendous improvement of the ride and never a thump, but much improved handling, I hardly ever scrape the boards anymore, they're not compressed down like the stock air shocks did in faster corners, and more stable all the way around.

$800 invested and no regrets,

Old 10-15-2014, 09:06 PM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I still have the stock air shocks. When it's just me they are fine. Two up that flat out suck. They bottom out way too much. They suck! If I add a few pounds of air that just barely helps (not much). Is the proper length 13 inches for a 1988 FLHTC?

I have the progressive fork springs and have no complaints with them. But, they were in there when I bought the bike so I don't know what the stock forks felt like. I have rebuilt the forks one time. Not that it matters, LOL..

Old 10-16-2014, 02:54 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino-1
Was that $600 for the pair? That would be quite reasonable if they work as stated.
Yes it was for the pair. They may not be quiteas good as Ohlins but they are still very good. If you can get Ohlins from Howard for a similar price they would be well worthwhile.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by falconbrother
Is the proper length 13 inches for a 1988 FLHTC?

I have the progressive fork springs and have no complaints with them. But, they were in there when I bought the bike so I don't know what the stock forks felt like. I have rebuilt the forks one time. Not that it matters, LOL..
Yes, 13" is the stock length. A combination of Progressive springs and heavier fork oil has worked great for me for many years. I now have the Intiminators also.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Having studied shocks threads on HDF for many years there is an observation I will pass on, which is that very few members mention if they carry a passenger, when commenting on their shocks. IMHO as soon as we add our favourite passenger the rules change - the need for comfort back there is much more important than for us up front when riding solo. Added to that is that the stock shocks and many aftermarket ones do not deal well with a passenger.

Putting that a different way: many aftermarket shocks will give the solo rider an improved ride. However if you want to improve comfort for The Most Important Pillion Passenger In The World be prepared to dig deep and don't shy away from doing so. Ohlins from Howard are a cut above all other brands and well worth paying out the extra for.

Last edited by grbrown; 10-17-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:44 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
Having studied shocks threads on HDF for many years there is an observation I will pass on, which is that very few members mention if they carry a passenger, when commenting on their shocks. IMHO as soon as we add our favourite passenger the rules change - the need for comfort back there is much more important than for us up front when riding solo. Added to that is that the stock shocks and many aftermarket ones do not deal well with a passenger.

Putting that a different way: many aftermarket shocks will give the solo rider an improved ride. However if you want to improve comfort for The Most Important Pillion Passenger In The World be prepared to dig deep and don't shy away from doing so. Ohlins from Howard are a cut above all other brands and well worth paying out the extra for.

Just got off the phone with Howard, and we decided on the adjustable Ohlins #2-#2(B) for me. Main reason being cost as of today. He is giving me a hell of a deal, discounted price for being an HDforum member. (Thanks Howard!) Order is being processed today and I look forward to getting them installed.

We went on a weekend trip last week and it really beat up my wife. She has fybromialgia and chronic back issues. The tourpak backrest simply hits her hard in the worst part of her back. Softening up the ride is a must, I even have a sheepskin pelt ordered to take it further. Thanks to you too Grbrown. You have recommended Ohlins many times, and I credit my decision to you.

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 05-11-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
Just got off the phone with Howard, and we decided on the adjustable Ohlins #2-#2(B) for me. Main reason being cost as of today. He is giving me a hell of a deal, discounted price for being an HDforum member. (Thanks Howard!) Order is being processed today and I look forward to getting them installed.

We went on a weekend trip last week and it really beat up my wife. She has fybromialgia and chronic back issues. The tourpak backrest simply hits her hard in the worst part of her back. Softening up the ride is a must, I even have a sheepskin pelt ordered to take it further. Thanks to you too Grbrown. You have recommended Ohlins many times, and I credit my decision to you.
Aw shucks! We had a similar experience a few years ago and I determined to do something about it. Took me a while to discover Howard, but all being well you'll be even more pleased after a few rides! They improve over the first few hundred miles, but that only takes a weekend.......

Old 05-11-2015, 01:13 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
Aw shucks! We had a similar experience a few years ago and I determined to do something about it. Took me a while to discover Howard, but all being well you'll be even more pleased after a few rides! They improve over the first few hundred miles, but that only takes a weekend.......
He had me cracking up on how much he dislikes the progressive shocks I put on last year. I have to agree tho. They are probably just fine for a solo rider. But when 2up and loaded, they are no bueno!

Quick Reply: Touring Shocks