EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Touring Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:30 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Aw shucks! We had a similar experience a few years ago and I determined to do something about it. Took me a while to discover Howard, but all being well you'll be even more pleased after a few rides! They improve over the first few hundred miles, but that only takes a weekend.......

I realize you probably have a different model shock from Howard. But can you tell me what you did to set them up? I have mine in the box and am going to install them this evening. They both seem to be set with the same preload right now. I am not going to have 2 other people available for adjustments. His instructions say for both me and the wife (passenger) to get on the bike with someone holding it upright.

He also told me to disregard the instructions that came with the shocks and use the ones he emailed me. But there are some differences there as well. The instructions say the shocks are sent with only a few threads showing on body (Mine are not, I have aprox 2" of threads showing). That should be the initial setting to measure eye to eye with bike off the ground. Then to put bike on the ground and measure eye to eye. Then supposed to get on bike (both of us) and measure eye to eye. Take the difference of those measurements and refer to recommended preload. I am waiting to hear back from him to see if he set them in the ballpark for our weight and gear preload per discussions. Thoughts?

Old 05-20-2015, 10:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

We have the #3-3. When I first received mine I set them up for riding solo, which I did with Mrs B doing the measuring while I sat on the bike. I don't recall now (this is five years ago!) but I added perhaps a couple of turns of pre-load to get them right. Howard will have set yours up for you so that the pre-load on each is the same, which I imagine will be fairly close to what you need.

After that I rode for several hundred miles before setting them up for both of us. We did that together, with my wife sitting on the bike with me, but stretching from the saddle to measure the shocks as best she could. It took quite a while and we were in stitches of laughter at times! Hence my suggestion of having a third person - not so much fun, but probably much quicker and easier! We didn't have anyone to hold the bike up, I just kept the tips of my toes on the ground, hence part of the fun and games of doing the measuring.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-22-2015, 06:46 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
We have the #3-3. When I first received mine I set them up for riding solo, which I did with Mrs B doing the measuring while I sat on the bike. I don't recall now (this is five years ago!) but I added perhaps a couple of turns of pre-load to get them right. Howard will have set yours up for you so that the pre-load on each is the same, which I imagine will be fairly close to what you need.

After that I rode for several hundred miles before setting them up for both of us. We did that together, with my wife sitting on the bike with me, but stretching from the saddle to measure the shocks as best she could. It took quite a while and we were in stitches of laughter at times! Hence my suggestion of having a third person - not so much fun, but probably much quicker and easier! We didn't have anyone to hold the bike up, I just kept the tips of my toes on the ground, hence part of the fun and games of doing the measuring.

Hope that helps!
All I can say is wow! The new shocks are awesome. The wife kept telling me how much better they are, and that she has never been so relaxed on the Hog. I am impressed!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:01 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Still super impressed with the Ohlin shocks, put on over 300 miles Saturday. Yes I was fatigues but the shocks were smooth as silk all day long. I am a happy man!

Old 05-27-2015, 06:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
Still super impressed with the Ohlin shocks, put on over 300 miles Saturday. Yes I was fatigues but the shocks were smooth as silk all day long. I am a happy man!
Great news - I'll have details of your next project before long!!!!