EVO All Evo Model Discussion

chasing vibration

Old 10-18-2014, 06:42 PM
darylnj
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default chasing vibration

i've been riding another bike more, so i'm not sure if this is normal or not.1994 fxds,new front wheel bearings,new balanced tire,new handlebar bushings,replaced fork oil.there is a vibration in the front end and noticed it in the highway pegs more at faster speed. thinking front motor mount? any way to check it or just replace?

Old 10-18-2014, 08:15 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Although I haven't changed my motor mount yet I do know it is worn from when I put the floor jack under the motor bottom and lifter the motor and there was a gap in the motor mount. Try it the test won't lie.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

There are a good many things that cause vibrations. Many have been helped with them. Including Me. Try to post as much info about the vibration as you can. Take the time to ride and pay attention to it and what changes the vib.
Speed, RPM , does it happen or get worse with acceleration or deceleration.
Clutch in or clutch out, tire condition.

You have listed what has been done to the bike. Did the vibration start with a change that was made?

I have learned the more info a fella can give these folks here the better they have been able to help

WP

Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 AM
darylnj
Cruiser
Default vibration

vibration hasn't changed with all the work done.it's in the handlebars doesn't change with speed, but in the highway pegs it does increase with speed.feels like somethings loose but nothing is

Old 10-19-2014, 07:15 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,784 Likes on 3,300 Posts
Default Bad Vibes

I've owned my 98 evo for over ten years and there has always been a vibration to the bars where I can't use the mirror at times and the faster I go the worse it gets to the point where the mirrors actually loosen up and spin like a pinwheel in the wind. I've tried bushings and checked this and that but it all seems to be a comon issue with the motor.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:29 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by darylnj
vibration hasn't changed with all the work done.it's in the handlebars doesn't change with speed, but in the highway pegs it does increase with speed.feels like somethings loose but nothing is
Stop looking you won't find the source. I chased it for many hours. My "cure" was mini apes with lead in the ends. It still shakes but I was able to deaden it with the bar length and lead and it doesn't make my hands tingle in 5 minutes anymore. I hate apes wanted low bars but if the choice is between riding or not I'll live with it. If you don't believe me it was so bad with stock height bars that I would go 5 minutes down the road and my hands would be numb pins and needles at 2000 rpms I could barely hold on. With the tall bars I feel nothing. They shake at idle that's about it and it's a slow shake doesn't bother me. If you have questions ask, I'm sure I've tried or checked it already. I have a lengthy thread with many many things I found wrong that I repaired. Each one I thought would be the cure but each one did nothing! Glad it's all fixed it all needed to be addressed but still. Save yourself the trouble.

Last edited by br549A1; 10-19-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Compared with the touring models, the rubber mount system of the Dynas is a serious design compromise IMHO. Your bike is 20 years old and replacing both mounts would be a good idea, but I wouldn't put any money on it improving things.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi,

I think if you want to find out if it is the engine get the bike up to a speed where the vibration is really evident, pull the clutch and turn off the motor. If the vibration stops it's associated with the motor, if not then atleast you know to look elsewhere..

Doug

Old 10-19-2014, 10:16 AM
darylnj
Cruiser
Default vibes

thanks guys

Old 10-19-2014, 07:20 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,518 Likes on 2,862 Posts

seen this more than once on an early dyna, the motor mounts are / were soft new, they have updated them now and are much stiffer - when that bike was new we had a few after tweaking them a bit, would rock the motor on the mounts so much the upper frame in the lower rear would hit the starter - soo if you have the original mounts i would swap them for the newer ones, and than check the heins as they as they seize more so down the shore than up north as well, it should be much different well the ones we did were -- jz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chasing vibration