EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What petcock to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 03:59 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
He could always go with the KRINGLE POWERFLOW!

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!
I want one!!!!!

Old 10-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a Pingel ch-6511. I think that is it, it is the chrome, hex and 180 degree output.
I do not believe the Pingel to be the end all be all of petcocks. When I am abusing the bike by riding like a complete ******* I have had the petcock close on me shifting into second. In the vicinity of 6500 rpms. The bike almost dies and I look down and the thing is off.... why?!?!?!

The stocker never did that to me! But the moco one has had problems that required me to replace a valve under the battery, so......

Next time I will buy a Golan with the detentes that you can hear by virtue of the 'click'.

Ymmv, good luck!
Tom

Old 10-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Hey Prot,

You didn't show the leak in your video explicitly enough for me to see anything. What about two adjustable wrenches and tighten the petcock? I know I'll get the keyboard commandos all flummoxed up (ethanol gas with corn), but... the gaskets the moco uses are fairly robust and your solid mounted engine may have vibrated lots and lots over the past nineteen years. Worth a shot, no?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

My video wasn't to show the leak. I have been asked about my exhaust and idle on here a number of times so that's what it was for.

I ended up having to go home and park it because I was smelling the gas so bad I thought I Was going to burst into flames. The weather is too nice to wrench so I pulled the t-tops off my old corvette and put it through it's paces.

Oh yeah, it has a carburetor and a four speed manual transmission.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:20 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee⋁13336446
I have a Pingel ch-6511. I think that is it, it is the chrome, hex and 180 degree output.
I do not believe the Pingel to be the end all be all of petcocks. When I am abusing the bike by riding like a complete ******* I have had the petcock close on me shifting into second. In the vicinity of 6500 rpms. The bike almost dies and I look down and the thing is off.... why?!?!?!

The stocker never did that to me! But the moco one has had problems that required me to replace a valve under the battery, so......

Next time I will buy a Golan with the detentes that you can hear by virtue of the 'click'.

Ymmv, good luck!
Tom

The Pingle turned itself off???
That is a new one to me!! Mine has never done that to me.

Pingle does make a model with detentes.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:23 PM
nanaimohd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Golan petcocks

Old 10-19-2014, 05:26 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Pingle's the best. Just get the correct one. I believe the last digit indicates where the tube to the carb connectes. 4=10 o'clock, 5=12 o'clock, 6=2 o'clock. Then there's dual taps.
Easy to operate with gloves, my stock one was a PITA to get a grip on.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:54 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,699 Likes on 1,154 Posts

Your bike is set up real close to mine. Including the cam. A plain ol off the self from a good indy has served me well. I wasn't to worried about looks as I was function. The pingle price put me off a bit, though I'll admit they have a great rep and look.

WP

Old 10-20-2014, 03:41 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
Your bike is set up real close to mine. Including the cam. A plain ol off the self from a good indy has served me well. I wasn't to worried about looks as I was function. The pingle price put me off a bit, though I'll admit they have a great rep and look.

WP
+1 on this. The hole in your main jet is only 1.8mm diameter, or less. That is .070", or just slightly over 1/16". No point in having an expensive, high-flow petcock with a 1/4" inch hole through it to feed a 1/16" jet.

You might try also tightening the four screws on the petcock that hold the vacuum diaphragm in place, They tend to come loose and leak. Even better, yank the diaphragm altogehter and blank it off.

And the reason the stock petcock does not vibrate shut is that it has the traditional design with the operating lever hanging downwards in the "on" position. So any vibration tends to move the tap to the on position.
If you have the Pingel with the horizontally moving lever, it does not have this safeguard built in.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:10 AM
nyokie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the golan slick click it flows enough for my 48mm mik and the detents make using it regularly easy and no guessing

Quick Reply: What petcock to buy?