EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXR Lowering and then lower some more!

Old 01-14-2015, 03:27 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Besides the clearance issue, are there any other reactions one can expect if the front and rear are lowered evenly? I know the turn radius would change, but I don't see that being a concern.

Beary
Your gonna have to go through the twisties a lot slower!!!

Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by beary

I love your bike Onedef. Any motorcycle rider who saw the movie has likely dreamed of owning that bike. I can't think of any movie bike that have stirred as many souls. Great job, even the primer on the neck looks the same.

Beary
Thanks! I was obsessed with it for many years, took me 9 years after the movie came out to find the right bike and to find myself at a point in my life with the $ AT THE SAME TIME! Ya know, life!
I've had it like this for 9 years now and I'm not sure I'd ever sell it; probably not.
I matched as much as I could. I wanted to keep access to the battery so my fender/seat pan are two pieces, not one. Mine sits 1" higher than the movies 10.5" struts for that reason. I welded the tanks and the side cover surrounds myself. A bit of Bondo to smooth it all out and a couple spray cans of Krylon in Black and two Primer Grays did the rest. I paid close attention to the way it was sprayed. I should have sprayed the seat hinge but never did.. The bike came with 38 deg +2 stretch and I have 3 degree trees on it. It's not quite enough. I want 5 or 6 degree trees but haven't gotten around to it. It was hard to find a chrome swing arm for a 94 and the FLT sliders weren't cheap to have milled. I saved the fender mounts as this thing is really no fun in the rain, at all; been there, done that, it's miserable, you get a shower tsunami from front and rear.

My crucifix is not the right one, my mirror isn't either (the movies mirror was useless, but I have it) the PM calipers, risers, drag bar, and hand controls almost bankrupted me, I skipped the movie bikes Jaybrake forwards as I found 3" extended elsewhere for a really good price. Last year at Sturgis one of my side covers shattered, I just recently found some metal ones that I'm gonna strip the chrome off and Primer those bad boys. The front calipers were for a Springer front that I got for $60 for the pair on eBay I made brackets for them and had them chromed. Worked like a charm!
Back then I had the Jacket made by the people who made the originals, the pants too, and I had the decals for the tank made up, and I sold them online for quite some time (until I got a cease and desist from Harley Davidson) to others who were building it (we had a forum dedicated to this bike, and there were many of us who made particular parts.. In that way we could get the struts, the seat pans, the decals, patches, etc that were hard to find. This was before Black Desth Motorcycles,and before the "kits"(( which I only recently just heard about, and haven't seen.) it was a great time, everyone helping each other with what we needed to build it. I made lots of fast friends, and some of us are planning a Black Death ride this year in Sturgis)) I also have a stockpile of decals left over and a supply of Ugly Is In stickers too.. I'm the sticker guy. I collected movie memorabiliaposters, flyers and photos and I have about 50 8x10's of stills from the movie, a full size cardboard cutout, and a few bricks of Crystal Dream.

I found a crack in the exhaust recently so I'm looking for skinny black straight pipes to match the movies, but I might just get replacements for what I have, everyone seems to like them and the bike sounds unique ( I'm deaf, but one constant over the ears is a LOT of people commenting on how good it sounds, so I don't wanna mess with that.

It's about time for an overhaul of the motor, I'm considering tossing in the extra SE103" I have but I have a fondness for that EVO, so I don't know.. This is stock 80 except for the cam and ignition system and a clutch upgrade.. It's plenty, and I've had very few problems.

All in all this bike was once my dream bike, and I'm fortunate to realize it, it's been a very emotional journey and we went through a lot together. I've enjoyed it immensely!! (with the sole exception of the return trips from Sturgis... I'll never do that again.. 2000 miles in a week is hell... I was DONE after the first 700... And I rode it there 3 times!! Never again! That's what trailers are for and I am no longer young.) plus I have a 2014 street glide now, my *** and kidneys have already thanked me profusely..

Over the years I'm pretty sure every single nut and bolt has rattled off on the highway at one point or another,;I busted two sets of struts, gone through 3 sets of tires, God knows how many miles, and vibrated half the chrome plate off the swing arm. I've broken a drive belt, a shifter peg and even wrecked it once doing burnouts... It's a blast!

I love this bike. I would hate to have missed out on it. It's been great! Everyone looks and yes, the girls look twice! *People point and crowd and laugh, and try to buy it from me at stop lights, dogs howl and car alarms go off when I go by, the neighbors complained, and I have laughed the whole time*

Last edited by Onedef1; 01-14-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 01-15-2015, 08:22 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Onedef1
Wow Onedef, I think admire your passion more than your bikes. You are part of rare breed.

Beary