EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Got my eye on a 95 Ultra....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:17 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New bags and black primer suggest it has been dropped, so I'd have a look for any other signs.

Look closely at the swing arm bracket mounts on the frame for pinhole signs of corrosion. They do rot and if they have rotted you're looking at a complete strip to repair.

Ditto brake lines and crimps, especially the rear one that is hidden, under the shrinkwrap.

Ditto, rear fork/swing arm for cracks.

Tour-Paks are expensive even second hand, replacement lowers not so much. The extra beef in the engine is a nice extra but a proper paint job to match would make it too expensive. You'd probably be better going for a low mileage stock one which you will find and sticking your own 97ci conversion on it.

What's your budget and what's your plan? If it just to buy a junker to ride into the ground, this could be good enough fun and a good deal. If you're looking for a long term keeper, I'd start somewhere else.

Black primer kills resale value.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:28 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

You need ot know much more about what "S&S Internals" means. You can't bore an EVO out to 96" without changing out the crank (increased stroke,) or cutting the cases out severely. Find out what he did to the motor specifically. Could be some heavy money invested there.
The 95 frame is the 2nd generation out from the current offerings. 97 to 08 were the frames that were replaced in 09, so 95 is the one before those. Taller seat height and fewer parts available as compared to 97/08 models.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Synenberg
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alright guys, Thanks again for all of your input! He does not have the fairings, every time I ask him a question he kind of stumbles through the answer as it is his sons (who live in Knoxville 2 hours away). He has 0 answers for me that I'm not finding all kinds of holes in.

As for what I'm looking for in a bike, this will be my first Harley, and I've decided that I'm far too big for a sportster, I'm 6'2 260 lbs. I've looked at several bikes, to include an 02 fatboy, white gold in color, tons of chrome, with less than 10k on the clock. Asking price is only $6k. I think thats a steal for that kind of money, BUTTT, I could care less about Chrome, I'd take every piece off and sell it, I also hate the solid wheels on a fatboy. I feel like when a man buys a motorcycle, it shouldn't be "Well, if I change the wheels, the bars, exhaust, take off all the chrome, it'll be okay." Maybe I'm being a little nit picky here, but It's not something I'm going to ride for a year and sell.

When I buy, which I've decided won't be that ultra this weekend, I've decided I want a big bike, an SG or a UC, mainly because they're timeless and will have no problem hauling my big *** around, and my little wife will feel most comfortable not squeezing me to death on the likes of a sportster, or even a dyna.

I will continue to hunt my bike, however, I seem to not have a lot of patience. There's a few good riding days left this season before it gets too cold, and I'd hate to buy something in December or January, and have it sit in my garage for 4 months before I get to take it out. Time to breathe deeply and relax and continue the hunt for my classic evo.

Lastly, someone asked my budget, I have up to about 6250 to spend, and not completely deplete my savings account, I'd love to stay around the 5k mark though as I did come from a Jewish bloodline. Haha

Old 10-25-2014, 07:34 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned

Yah, listen to what Stiggy is saying. A 96 ci typically needs a 3 5/8 bore and a 4 5/8 stroke. '95 case are borderline for boring them out to match a high horsepower engine. Did he replace the cases? Did he match it with cams and carbs etc.

You want to see paperwork on all that to know.
Originally Posted by Synenberg
Lastly, someone asked my budget, I have up to about 6250 to spend, and not completely deplete my savings account, I'd love to stay around the 5k mark though as I did come from a Jewish bloodline. Haha
Well, the history of your bloodline should also teach you that pushing things too far will also get your screwed back over royally. I think you are asking a lot to find a Tourer at that price that doesn't need money spent on it, and will have to look older. You'll still find good stuff though.

I find this useful ...

http://www.searchcraigslist.org/

You'll find plenty more with a nice ride back home to get to know it attached.

Is his son incarcerated or in hiding? Why cannot he answer himself?

Bear in mind for around the same money you could buy a 2008 VN2000 that would see you through winter riding and out the other side without a hiccup. Any bagger at that price is going to need some money spending on it, have a good bit of corrosion the frame and fasteners, and have a fraction of the finish and performance. They are either going to be a little rough or in of upgrading.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcd/4693935724.html

Or even a 2005 Triumph Rocket III with 5,000 miles.

http://houston.en.craigslist.org/mcd/4692705163.html

You'd be daft to buy a junker *just* to have a Harley.

There's a '99 Road Glide nearby

http://tricities.craigslist.org/mcy/4708519190.html

Or a refurbed Tour Glide that would suit a bigger guy ...

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/4692810654.html

You'll have a lot more choice if you cast your net further and especially down to the dry States.

Last edited by Dun Roamin; 10-25-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Synenberg
Advanced

I'm very new to this. I grew up on the pegs of a dirtbike and have a lot of hours behind the bars if you will, I traded a jeep for an old kawasaki vulcan back in 2000, but I ended up letting a friend borrow it for a weekend, he was taking his lady to the mountains, and he got rearended and it was totaled. I'm not necessarily stuck on an ultra, I just didn't notice much difference in price from the SG. I'm very aware that my budget limits me to 97 being the newest bike I will find thats not a sportster or a dyna.

The son "Is real busy in Knoxville and doesn't have time to sell it himself. When I asked him for a contact number for his boy he said he would check and make sure he didn't mind me having it, but that was lunch time yesterday, I have yet to hear back from him. I've decided it's a lost cause anyhow, it's far too sketchy.

I've looked at a few metric bikes, and I just don't want to buy something else and wish I had bought a harley next summer. Which I can't seem to entertain the idea mentally without the thought of buyers remorse.

I shall take a look at all of the links you shared, and as I travel to Georgia every other weekend, I'm not opposed to riding it back from a few hundred miles away.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Dun Roamin
Banned

I'd say go hire a new Harley for a few days to get it out of your system, go look at some bikes and take your time.

Prices plummet after Christmas. Hopefully you'll have a little more cash by then. I saw some really tasty Road Glides and Ultras same time last year.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

**** looks fishy to me....I would pass and wait for something a bit more solid. She up a bit, plus winter is around the corner.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:26 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,151 Posts

First thought after reading thread
Take the time to build up a little more cash 8 K range
Let the winter set in and look for a deal at a dealer or individual.

WP

Old 10-25-2014, 06:50 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
First thought after reading thread
Take the time to build up a little more cash 8 K range
Let the winter set in and look for a deal at a dealer or individual.

WP

Old 10-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Synenberg
Advanced

Fair enough, thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Got my eye on a 95 Ultra....