EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Got my eye on a 95 Ultra....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:43 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That green one is very nice.. It's not an Ultra though, just an Electra Glide.. Honestly, not all that big of a deal. Just missing the CB, rear speakers, Lower fairings and Cruise control.. I'd miss the cruise, but it really could be added, as can anything else..

Old 10-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Synenberg
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does the 97, in green and black appear to have a quick disconnect tour pack?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Synenberg
Not necessarily that It'll get spent elsewhere, however I never realized how exhausting shopping for a motorcycle is. I know all of the steps being taking are required, especially buying a 20 year old scoot.

Related: I would like to ride before the snow of the devil begins to fall.

Last listing: http://florencesc.craigslist.org/mcy/4685516128.html

I also scheduled an appointment to look at the green and black ultra.
Dang ya have gotten bit bad
Would surprise me if it had a quick detach but its a good look'in scoot
You mentioned a pastor that knows HD, work to take him along with ya to ck it out.
One thing I have seen with 2 friends that bought 97-98 flh was the swingarm had to be rebuilt. 3 if if you count mine.

At 6500 if that was in Texas I'd be wanting a look see at it

WP

Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Synenberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by WP50
Dang ya have gotten bit bad
Would surprise me if it had a quick detach but its a good look'in scoot
You mentioned a pastor that knows HD, work to take him along with ya to ck it out.
One thing I have seen with 2 friends that bought 97-98 flh was the swingarm had to be rebuilt. 3 if if you count mine.

At 6500 if that was in Texas I'd be wanting a look see at it

WP
I'm sure he's aware of the signs, but what's constitutes needing to have a swing arm rebuilt? Please excuse my ignorance.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:04 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure he's aware of the signs, but what's constitutes needing to have a swing arm rebuilt? Please excuse my ignorance.

1st, yes that green bike does have a QD tourpack, along with a lot of other goodies..

2nd, check out Howard's link that will explain the broken swingarm think pretty well.. Again, be careful not to get paranoid.. I would look closely at it, but not obsess.. At some point, an upgrade is a great idea and not all that difficult.. I outlined mine on my "winter snowball" thread.. Remember, there have been many upgrades in the last 20yrs, there are plenty of these bikes still on the road today..

Old 10-28-2014, 05:20 AM
Synenberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by HGM
1st, yes that green bike does have a QD tourpack, along with a lot of other goodies..

2nd, check out Howard's link that will explain the broken swingarm think pretty well.. Again, be careful not to get paranoid.. I would look closely at it, but not obsess.. At some point, an upgrade is a great idea and not all that difficult.. I outlined mine on my "winter snowball" thread.. Remember, there have been many upgrades in the last 20yrs, there are plenty of these bikes still on the road today..
Okay, I thought so about the QD tour pack, as for the swingarm, looks easy enough, I'll keep you all updated as the weekend draws in. I also will be taking a friend of mine who I feel has a strong grasp on all things HD.

I'm so appreciative of all of your generous inputs, you don't realize how much help you've been.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:32 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

I'll ask some the other folks here to explain that.
It's been awhile and I had most the work done by an Indy that I know well.
I help him fix his autos and he helps me fix my bikes.

Good luck to ya WP

Old 10-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old ones can crack but it's not a universal problem. Either at the pivot or the wheel axle. You'll probably not have a problem with it.

The fix is cheap enough and beneficial, you stick a early 2000s to 2007 swing arm on it which is stronger, has a bigger/heavier rear axle, can take later brakes and so on ... but it's not absolutely essential. You'll get a lot of miles and enjoyment out of a standard one.

Cross that bridge if and when you come to it ... if you take that route it often ends up with your putting newer fork legs on the front, upgrading both wheels and brake systems.

Surprisingly not that expensive to do thanks to all the guys take their OEM ones off to stick on chrome. Brakes are probably the best reason to do so, handling also improves along the way.