EVO All Evo Model Discussion

RK Two-Pece Seat Fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RK Two-Pece Seat Fitment?

I have a good one-piece seat for my 98 RK, but also have the two-piece design. My issue is....when I install the rear pad using the two-piece....it's loose at the front seat attachment bolts. It's so lose that I "manufactured" some bolts that make the fit much tighter. I am using Mustang mounting bolts....could that be the issue, or what am I missing about the simple installation of the rear pad? Using the Mustang bolts...I can lift the front of the pad 1/2 inch or more...it's "loosie-goosie".

Old 10-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I remember, the stock seat on my 95 RK had two slots on the front of the rear pad that slid into some grooves machined into the bolts at the rear of the front pad. The grooves were only about 1/16" wide so no up and down movement at all. You might want to buy some stock bolts.

On my Mustang 1 piece seat, those stock bolts were used to hold down the Mustang bracket and the seat bolted to the bracket.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It must be the Mustang bolts. Maybe the Mustang passenger pad has a different configuration where those slots are cut....HAS to be something quite thicker than the stock HD seat. There must be something close to a 1/4-inch plus spacing from where the bolt bottoms on the front seat bracket to the top of the slot.....just too much to accept a slot that is closer to like...1/8th-inch. or so thick. My "self engineered" system works just fine. I suppose I will take a look at the stock MOCO bolts next time I'm near a dealer. It's been a while since I had a two-piece, but it was not that lose.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:46 PM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who is your passenger pad made by?

I have a Mustang rear and a H-D rear. The Mustang is made from thicker metal *and* the slots are slightly tighter together. You have to fit one and then 'spring' the other into place with force. The H-D just slots on and, yes, it's cheap and sloppy. Even the finish of the seat is cheap and sloppy in comparison; typical but still disappointing.

Still, I suppose they are designed to be "good enough" or thrown away.

There are two kind of mounting points.

Sort of acorn nuts which fit onto a locating strip with upright threaded rods installed, and custom bolts. Which are you talking about?

I have the second type. Originally they were just cheapo aftermarket chrome ones, those were not such a nice fit. I splashed out the $11 each or whatever for the H-D and they are better ... however, they did need hand finishing to remove turning marks and polish. Ultimately, I've chemi-blacked them up and they look great now.

I know Mustang sell their own. I guess they are good quality as their seats are. The cheapo aftermarket ones are poorly sized and round if you are not careful.