EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Awe, Hell.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Coming home from work tonight, I was cruising at about 45 mph when all of a sudden it sounded like I had a bag of rocks in my trans or primary. I went to down shift as I was pulling off the road and found the shift return spring isn't working but the noise got worse as I took the load off the engine. I limped it home in 4th gear and kept throttle at a constant speed to minimize the noise and damage. My first thought was a compensating sprocket or loose clutch pack but what's the odds of that going the same exact time as the shift return spring? If it's the trans then why does the noise get worse as you pull in the clutch and take the load off the drivetrain? This is on my 92 Softail. Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to tear into it for at least another week so I thought I would get your opinions on it. I know the shift return spring is shot but the whole more load equals less noise has me confused.

Last edited by Tailbreaker; 10-28-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:48 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

When you put the drivetrain under load, drivetrain lash is dramatically reduced. Everything "tightens up", so it's not at all surprising that the noise level drops. And, it's common for different types of noise to be less under acceleration or braking, for just that reason, but then get louder during no load cruise, or when just rolling off the throttle.

Can't help you with your specific problem, though, too many possibilities.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:47 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That sucks.... I agree, the load will dramatically change the noises.. If you end up needing it, I've got a, low mileage gearset, with shift drum, forks and lever with spring from an '02 Dyna.. I robbed the main drive gear/5th off of it.. If it will work for ya, let me know, you can cross the parts on Ronnie's to see if they will work..

Old 10-29-2014, 04:54 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

I would look at the cam trenchers

Old 10-29-2014, 04:59 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
I would look at the cam trenchers

No idea what that is, but if your thinking tensioners, your in the wrong forum.. Evo's done have em..

Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,233 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Can't answer the load/no load question...when the shifter return spring breaks, sometimes it falls harmlessly to the bottom of the trans...sometimes it goes through the gears causing lots of damage on the way down.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
When you put the drivetrain under load, drivetrain lash is dramatically reduced. Everything "tightens up", so it's not at all surprising that the noise level drops. And, it's common for different types of noise to be less under acceleration or braking, for just that reason, but then get louder during no load cruise, or when just rolling off the throttle. Can't help you with your specific problem, though, too many possibilities.
That makes sense. Thanks!!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:25 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HGM
That sucks.... I agree, the load will dramatically change the noises.. If you end up needing it, I've got a, low mileage gearset, with shift drum, forks and lever with spring from an '02 Dyna.. I robbed the main drive gear/5th off of it.. If it will work for ya, let me know, you can cross the parts on Ronnie's to see if they will work..
thank you!!! I'll let you know when I get this thing apart.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:27 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Can't answer the load/no load question...when the shifter return spring breaks, sometimes it falls harmlessly to the bottom of the trans...sometimes it goes through the gears causing lots of damage on the way down.
Ar this point, that's what I'm afraid of.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll get this thing ripped apart in the next week and figure just how much damage I have.

Quick Reply: Awe, Hell.....