EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Turn signal question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:12 AM
Retirementtoy
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turn signal question

The turns signals on my 88 Electra Glide do not stay on. I have to hold the button in to make them work. I am pretty sure that's not how they are supposed to work my 76 sporty work that way but I don't think these should. Could it be just the flasher or do you think it's more than that. I thought maybe it was because the speedo wasn't hooked up but now that is working and they still don't hold. All suggestions are appreciated.

STEVE

Old 10-31-2014, 07:43 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

My '89 Sporty worked that way, too. Self canceling turn signals arrived in the H-D line in 1990, so your '88 is working the way it was intended to work.

The only exception I am aware of was the '86 model year. That year, the signals were push on/push off. I think they reverted to the "hold on" signals because too many people forgot to turn them off.

At least that's the way I remember it. If I'm wrong, somebody else will correct me in a little while.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Retirementtoy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
My '89 Sporty worked that way, too. Self canceling turn signals arrived in the H-D line in 1990, so your '88 is working the way it was intended to work.

The only exception I am aware of was the '86 model year. That year, the signals were push on/push off. I think they reverted to the "hold on" signals because too many people forgot to turn them off.

At least that's the way I remember it. If I'm wrong, somebody else will correct me in a little while.

Thanks UncleG, I was afraid someone would say that, I really like the self cancelling, I wonder if I can change the switches to a newer style, I don't mind pushing the button twice, but its a PIA to hold the button especially on the right side.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:10 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,341 Posts

I think the 86 style is going to be hard to find. It was only one year that I know of. Maybe 85's too, but there aren't many of those either. You might look into the Badlands module thing. They might have something for your bike that will self cancel.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:09 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts
Old 10-31-2014, 10:49 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the process of adding the Badlands module to my FLT. Gotta fix an intermittent rear turn problem first before I start cutting and splicing in the new module.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:15 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

My '90 FXRS has the same thing...hold down to signal.

That's the one thing about this bike I can't get my brain wrapped around.

I've taken to just not using them. If circumstances call for it, I'll use hand signals. Most of the time I just don't bother.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Retirementtoy
Thanks UncleG, I was afraid someone would say that, I really like the self cancelling, I wonder if I can change the switches to a newer style, I don't mind pushing the button twice, but its a PIA to hold the button especially on the right side.

Well, truth be known, I lost my turn signal cancellers on my '94 when I changed the speedo to a "62 style" (no reed switch in the speedo), so my turn signals are now push on/push off. They work well except when I forget to turn them off (insert "senior citizen" joke here). Wouldn't be a problem except for people who see your blinker and assume you're going to turn into the street they're coming out of. Happened to me twice this year. I have to be more careful.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Retirementtoy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Well, truth be known, I lost my turn signal cancellers on my '94 when I changed the speedo to a "62 style" (no reed switch in the speedo), so my turn signals are now push on/push off. They work well except when I forget to turn them off (insert "senior citizen" joke here). Wouldn't be a problem except for people who see your blinker and assume you're going to turn into the street they're coming out of. Happened to me twice this year. I have to be more careful.
So what you're saying is that the 94 switches are push on/push off? I have a white wire with a green stripe coming from my speedo that I don't know what it does, could this be something that works an auto cancel? Reed switch? If that's the case, shouldn't mine do the same thing? I know, too many questions. I might try replacing the switches to the newer part number just to see.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,341 Posts

No, the 94 switches are going to be momentary on. There was a control module that managed the push on/off and auto cancel. It takes an input from the speedo, I believe, to manage the auto cancel stuff. That module is a common failure point.

Your extra wire is probably related to the auto-sound level of the radio, where it makes the radio louder at higher speeds. But I'm not sure there. You'd need to look at a wiring diagram for your year.

Quick Reply: Turn signal question