EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What cam is in a stock 80ci Evo??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhino-1
None of my business, but f me, this isn't s communist society... He should do as he pleases with his own stuff...
I would not say it was "communist". I'd say it was somewhere between brotherliness and Christianity.

Used to be a time when being a biker was built on brotherliness.

Originally Posted by graystarr
I was given a Andrews EV23 cam. Is this an upgrade from stock or should I get the EV27?!
Given that it was a gift, and you ride a Fatboy, I'd just use it. Just spend the extra $10 on replacing the bearing for an upgrade Koyo bearing.

A Fatboy's more of a cruiser, you're not going to make much additional use of the extra. Some folks don't like the 27 because it is a little noisier. Some folks say the 23 is a little cooler. It's good. It makes power a little earlier.

How often do you ride over 4,500 rpm? Say ... 130 mph in top gear?
Originally Posted by nibroc
well--what is the cam in a stock evo?
An H-D stock one ...?

Folks often say the 23 is "the same as 'old' stock" (meaning the L grind) but it's not strictly true. The later N grind is the soft one.

Maximum power might be similar but the chart suggests the EV23 starts to makes power, say, 500 rpm earlier. However, I've never ridden an L to compare so I don't know ...

In Open | In Close | Exh Open | Exh Close | In Dur | Exh Dur | Overlap | Lift

HD 81-91 (L) ... 1 ... 37 ... 53 ... 2 ... 218 ... 232 ... -11 ... .495
HD 92-98 (N) ... -2 ... 30 ... 31 .. -9 ... 208 ... 202 ... 0 ... .472

Andrews EV23 ... 10 ... 30 ... 40 ... 8 ... 220 ... 228 ... 18 ... .498
Andrews EV27 ... 20 ... 36 ... 44 ... 16 ... 236 ... 240 ... 36 ... .495

Here a quote from a user of both. They say a EV23 is an updated EV13 (15 31, 45 13, 226, 238) which he mentions.
You don't get "on the cam" with the EV27 til you're going 70mph in top gear. EV13 comes on substantially sooner and is a much more pleasant cam in all but out and out racing situations. You're "on the cam" with the EV13 a lot more of the time in the rpm range the average guy spends most of his time in.

I have an EV13 in my FXRS and find it is perfect for how I ride. I never race anyone, but when I need to get on it for one reason or another, the power comes on in a big hurry. In fact, sometimes I get surprised by how fast the bike wants to get out ahead of me. The EV13 has not hurt my fuel mileage. I average 47-51mpg, and that might be a little better than stock. I do not notice any additional valvetrain noise, as many do with the EV27.

I'm not knocking the EV27. It's a great cam for the way a lot of guys ride. But it's not for everyone.

Last edited by Dun Roamin; 11-11-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Dun Roamin
I would not say it was "communist". I'd say it was somewhere between brotherliness and Christianity.

Used to be a time when being a biker was built on brotherliness. .
Which in my day involved letting a brother decide whether to sell swap or use a gift...I get gifted several boxes of H-D parts each year... I sell most of them and would consider it very unbrotherly for someone to suggest it was remiss of me not to gift them on to someone else.

There has always been a fine line between concepts such as religion and brotherliness and being a control freak.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Love the concept of throwing cam numbers around without knowing at what "lift" they were established at...10thou? 20thou? more???zero?

Old 11-11-2014, 08:39 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts
Exclamation Wtf

Originally Posted by SeaZund
thought you were given that cam? You should similarly pass it on by "gifting" it to someone else (as was done to you) JMHO
Give the guy a freakin break! Who gives a rat's *** what he does with the cam.

The following users liked this post:
Rockhavok (09-12-2021)
Old 11-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Dun Roamin
Banned

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Which in my day involved letting a brother decide whether to sell swap or use a gift...I get gifted several boxes of H-D parts each year... I sell most of them and would consider it very unbrotherly for someone to suggest it was remiss of me not to gift them on to someone else.
Well then, I'd say you well pretty self-centred and butting into someone else conversation to inject your values.

I would not call you a brother.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Dun Roamin
Banned

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Well then, I'd say you were pretty self-centred and butting into someone else conversation to inject your values.

I would not call you a brother, nor consider you had much of a claim on defining being a brother ... unless, perhaps, your donor gave you those items specifically with that intent. What did you do to get them?

Where I come from, we call guys who don't pass stuff around "scabs", and their supply quickly dries up.

Honestly, making a simple charitable suggestion is not "control freakery". It's just being nice and Christian. You know, like ... "and Jesus said, Cast your camshaft on the water and it shall return to you". It means, what goes around comes around. And it's not "communism". The world would be a sorry place if everyone who gave anthing to someone else without making a profit out of was labelled an anti-American "communist"!

WTF ... and why distract from discussion of which cam is better and why?
Originally Posted by Racepres
Love the concept of throwing cam numbers around without knowing at what "lift" they were established at...10thou? 20thou? more???zero?
Not much point in doing so for such old, soft cams. Doesn't require cutting edge analysis. Inlet closing will make the most noticeable difference. Lift etc is all pretty much the same.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Dun Roamin; 11-11-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Not much point in doing so for such old, soft cams. Doesn't require cutting edge analysis. Inlet closing will make the most noticeable difference. Lift etc is all pretty much the same.

Old yes...soft...depends.
I am not saying you are wrong, nor anyone is right...I'm saying the EV-23 is so very much like the Original EVO cam it is a toss-up. Numbers be damned...and confusing..

Old 11-12-2014, 03:37 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 252 Posts

Well then, I'd say you were pretty self-centred and butting into someone else conversation to inject your values.

I would not call you a brother, nor consider you had much of a claim on defining being a brother ... unless, perhaps, your donor gave you those items specifically with that intent. What did you do to get them?

Where I come from, we call guys who don't pass stuff around "scabs", and their supply quickly dries up.

Honestly, making a simple charitable suggestion is not "control freakery". It's just being nice and Christian. You know, like ... "and Jesus said, Cast your camshaft on the water and it shall return to you". It means, what goes around comes around. And it's not "communism". The world would be a sorry place if everyone who gave anthing to someone else without making a profit out of was labelled an anti-American "communist"!

I guess you don't been gettin' much ***** lately mate? I know some good cheap Hookers out your way...want some numbers?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Come on fellas, there's some pretty silly and unnecessary stuff been said that would have been better not typed.

Going back to the original question I doubt if we have answered that, although it wasn't an easy one to give a helpful reply to. How many of us can 'read' cam data?!

As for a free EV23, Graystarr, it is well worth trying out and if you don't like it, revert to the stock cam or find another! The concensus seems to be that it is worth a try.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned

Originally Posted by grbrown
Come on fellas, there's some pretty silly and unnecessary stuff been said that would have been better not typed.
Yeah, I am sorry ... but what can a "brother" do when he is hit on by a Venus Van Dam up above.

It's nice of him to think of my ***** ... I obviously get to play his Tig Trager on this forum.

I mistook his goatee for a vagina.

I just hate it when folks with not a lot to add go off on a pointless tangent spoiling a topic. Especially when it is for the principle of selfishness over generosity towards others.

Yes, the cams are not that much different. 27 has a little more top end and like a bit of compression to get the best out of it but can rattle. The 23 is more bottom end and sooner, and quiet. Both are fine it depends on where you ride in your rpm.

Last edited by Dun Roamin; 11-12-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: What cam is in a stock 80ci Evo??