EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Crashed...Now vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:31 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

you will have to remove the rear swing arm and look at the mono blocks to see if they shifted - if the engine has moved enough to have ripped the front mount than one could suspect the rear swing arm - AXLE bent ? side cushion displaced - or the trans case is cracked - to think the flywheels have sissored - well no / me i would go for the swing arm

Old 11-21-2014, 09:40 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it is possible to twist the pin your flywheels are balanced. but you could have excessive runout its not to hard to check.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:54 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

not off topic BUT you said you balanced the flywheels ???? what factor did you use S&S in all the paper work sayes 60% factor, but you have a motor with lots of reciprocating weight so did you use heavy metal to keep from cheesing the bottom of the wheels or what did you do - just a question as i do this and i am always looking for a thought

Old 11-21-2014, 10:11 PM
stevequad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bennett performance in long beach put the wheels rods etc together. How it was balanced I don't know. It is not counter balanced of course.
As far as swing arm or all other suggestions, remember this happens with bike stationary so I could only imagine any reciprocating mass, or mount could be the problem. Am I wrong in thinking this? I really do appreciate the input.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:58 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

start from scratch - set the bikes power plant in the netural spot un infulenced by any of the attcahments - check to see rear swingarm is not the issue and then re tighten every one -- see what happend then - if its off and you tightened something that is off you cant get it right with out starting from the point of every thing is loose and in alignment before tightening

Old 11-22-2014, 03:13 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad vibes.

Originally Posted by stevequad
Bennett performance in long beach put the wheels rods etc together. How it was balanced I don't know. It is not counter balanced of course.
As far as swing arm or all other suggestions, remember this happens with bike stationary so I could only imagine any reciprocating mass, or mount could be the problem. Am I wrong in thinking this? I really do appreciate the input.
I think you are correct in thinking this as you describe.
If the vibration occures only in a narrow rpm band and when the bike is stationary , i would naturally assume the same as you .
As advised , there is a procedure in the HD manual describing how to true the drive system. I would first inspect the motor to frame attachment points including all flexible motor mounts and hiem joints etc.
Do some measurments at the frame to look for bent frame components etc. If you took the hit at the rear quarter as described , the frame may be slightly jacked out of true and the motor and its mounts slightly out of true also and causing your vibration .?
I once retrued a bent frame by bolting it to a conctrete floor and used hydraulic jacks , levels and plumb bobs etc., it was a pita for sure but it worked out well.
Let us know what you find.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:25 PM
stevequad
Cruiser

If I find the problem I will post the answer here. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:31 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,630 Likes on 843 Posts

A bad bad vibration years ago was something as simple as a muffler not floating in the rubber slider under the saddlebags. The engine vibrated so bad that it broke the support bracket from the head to the plenom. You said that some work was done in that area, make sure the muffler slider is free in the rubber bracket.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:04 PM
stevequad
Cruiser
Default Fixed it.

I changed to original mount to a Velva ride years ago, and when this one broke during the accident, I just put in the 'New' improved harley mount. That is when the shaking started. Pulled it back out and bought a new Velva-Ride from Rivera Primo, in whittier, CA ($125) Vibration is 90% gone. The bike is back to the way it was.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:07 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,284 Likes on 499 Posts

Glad you fixed it, Thanks for the update

Quick Reply: Crashed...Now vibration