EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Best place in the USA to build an "Evo classic"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Dun Roamin, I feel your pain. It's up to those of us as parents (or mentors, like Johnzgz) of some of this "next gen" to pass along our love for things noisy, greasy, and mechanical. With my children, it started with them watching daddy struggle with his track bikes, helping to hold wrenches and lights. When old enough, we built and raced RC cars, then duning quads. Now, my girls love to help daddy work on his bikes. Interestingly enough the boys, not so much. They'd rather write code or gain grand master online status or something. Oh well.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:31 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 498 Posts

It's about teaching the younger folks about RESPECT. Respect for your job (the guy that pays you), the customers (the folks that pay the guy that pays you), and other people in general. I banished cell phones from our dinner table a long time ago.....I think its very disrespectful when someone is looking at their phone when they are talking to someone. I guess I'm too old to care that much about social media.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Seems most stores carry pretty much the same brands of cheap chit, want anything quality you have to find it online, order it from a specialty shop several states away. Other than groceries and shoes ('cause sometimes a size 12 is tighter than a 10...), I get most stuff off the internet. As far as shop work, having someone fix something of mine, not if there's any way I can do it myself. I had a thing going for a while, fixing business computers that usually were screwed up by "pros", but it got frustrating and too time consuming with a day job, too. Hard to get new business if you're honest, trying to compete with the frauds and incompetents; word gets around if you're good, but it can be lean till that happens, most people just look for the best "deal".

Last edited by Imold; 11-26-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaZund
I think we all hate having to wait for parts, however Indy's can't afford to carry alot of inventory. Even going to (various) Indys, it seems they still need to order my stuff. I'm either looking for a part that's for too new a machine, or too old. Stopped by a shop in Dallas a couple weeks ago called "Ye Old Bike Shoppe" looking for an exhaust bracket for my 80 FLT. Showed him the part I carried in with me and he just shrugged his shoulders...didn't even have any books or resources to even look it up ! The shop had one EVO and the rest were a bunch of Twinkies getting worked on.
I get that part of it. I guess it's just frustrating when I know of at least three shops in the Houston area that stock engine gaskets and common items of the sort from knuckle to Twinkie years.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:22 PM
whiskey girl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man guys, I sooo get what you're all saying.

My car guy is giving up and closing shop come the first of the year. He can't get decent help, the county is ragging on him with all kinds of new rules and regulations, the state is slapping outrageous stuff on him and it's just a never ending battle for the poor guy. 20 some years, ran a great shop, always by the book and he's done. I won't just miss the quality of his work, I'll miss the fact that I trust him completely. You can't drop your ride off to just anyone, hand over a signed blank check and say "do whatever needs to be done when you've got time and call me in a few weeks". Damn shame.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:15 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im going to blame some of it on the greedy store/shop owners my day job boss threatens to fire me every day and has fired me because "I take food out of his mouth" his words. by working at home. so instead of paying me what I deserve so I don't have to work at home. he hired 3 MMI grads and fired me then called me back 2 days later with a small bump in pay. he found out the hard way without my Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki certificate he will loses his certified warranty repair status.
I figure if he fires me 5 more times I might be up to a real wage.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:28 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Throttle_Jockey
Dun Roamin I have the strong feeling you are talking about the NOLA area in your first post.

I recently came back here, and I can't find a phucking Indy shop for a 75 mile radius. I had to order a damn cam cover gasket online a couple weeks back. Thankfully I have a lathe and mill in the garage, and a buddy with a machine shop for the things I can't handle. The most aggravating part though is with no Indy shops is having to order normally stocked items and WAIT for them.

My ADD doesn't like to wait for *****!!! Hahahaha
Move to Tallahassee... we got an indy out here that stocks plenty of evo ****.

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
I would have a flat out 'no phone/surrender them at the door' policy and only keep anyone on who could make it through 8 hours cold turkey from social media.

after reading that i am sure i heard crickets
If you didn't live in New Jersey I would come ask you for a job tomorrow. I'm a welder... I know how to go 12+ hours without a phone.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 PM
apples402
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow too much to contemplate here concerning employees and the business of operating a business...Schools teach our kids that anything less than a 4 year degree is a failure, that all things white collar and nothing less is their target. Some people do not belong in an office setting nor is a 4 year degree the ideal situation for many, trade schools for some is the better route, but is looked down upon by our educators. Also the value of time and attendance is not stressed enough, your best employee not there is no employee, and the best one is an employee stating that they are doing work I would not do....or haven't, yeah right, if I have to do the work I do not need you, period. Oh my god your rant got me started and I haven't started on the government regulations and taxes that impede business growth or for that matter success. That being said I am not a good employee (I am too bossy?) hence the business chasing for the last 20 years. To answer your question stay small..and I would guess the midwest is still the place to be less regulated, or boxed in.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:39 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's happening with the auto/motorcycle industry in general? We all hear about how Detroit has gone.

I mean, Silicon Valley have the sense to focus all their attentions into well defined areas and have "incubators" etc ... is there no place left for the motor industry, or have all the dirty industries really been moved/outsourced overseas?

You'd think it made a little sense to have the like centralised. Are no cities or States promoting enterprise zones? I tell you, support networks of service suppliers are falling apart and, yes, they are also being crushed by bureaucracy. Being "legit" turns you into a sitting target.

In Europe, specifically the Netherland and Scandinavia, there was a time when bike clubs constituted what was required to be a "community group" and opened them up to receive grants for properties and re-manufacturing equipment ... I don't know any that have a similar focus.

Still looking for trailer in a yard somewhere ... !

Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

this all has to do with the political bull in this country by the self serving

the ones who want to teach the masses the ones who want to regulate the masses the ones who tell you you need unions or you will starve its all politcal dude

look what has happened in our country when a guy was elected because of the color of his skin and not his abilitys

Quick Reply: Best place in the USA to build an "Evo classic"?