EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Aftermarket CV carb anybody try one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:50 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the only sporster only built carb was the first one as it did not have an ACC pump for the 883 hugger - the rest cross with the big twin with the parts

Old 12-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dun Roamin
is this them?

What wrong with your current carb?

Why replace it all instead of jets and rebuild kit?

"oem standard performance" isn't a name, it's a description.

For $200, you should be able to pick up a second hand Mikuni & adapter on Ebay ...
This.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:13 PM
ronks2
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys,

I am going to get back to my funky carb in the next week or so, and will keep you updated on what tips and tricks worked best.

I bit the bullet and bought one of those $200. carbs, where the only thing that I have less than money is free time. What swayed me to try the new carb is the previous owner of my Fatboy kept the bike as close to perfect as possible. Where the bike has such real small jets in it I figured he might have been playing with this rich issue for a while. I hope to get this new carb on my sporty this weekend and will get back to you on how it did.

Not sure if my 93 883 hugger had the factory carb on it, but it was a Keihin CV and walked over to my Fatboy without a hitch.

Have a great evening,

Ron

Old 12-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Dun Roamin
Banned

It would have made more sense to take your present carb off and checked what sizes of jets and needle you have in it first. Also whether the idle jet bung has been removed to allow the adjustment of it.

Your idle setting and needle size are the most important. A typical problem is the needle on the Big Twins was too lean.

Ask the seller what sizes of jets and which needle it has and, depending on which ones, to supply one or two extras.

You may find the new one has the same sizes as the old one.

It's not a "new" issue, folks should be able to give you fairly accurate sizes to start work from.

At least you should be able to sell you old carb on Ebay to get much of cash back.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:22 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

There's a used carb in the Evo parts section for $130

Old 12-04-2014, 09:06 PM
ronks2
Intermediate
Default Thanks for the heads up on ebay

I received the new carb a day ago. It really looks good. It does not have that heavy Harley look, but quality would not look out of place on a Kawasaki or other Japanese.

I am going to hold on to my carb where they are getting hard to come by, and once I get time to get the float pin out depending how this new one works I may put the stock back on.

Will keep you updated after the weekend.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2014, 06:18 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,818 Likes on 3,320 Posts
Default U Get What U Uay For

Honestly, you get what u pay for and if I was to go to after market products I wouldn't skimp. Do your self a favor in after market and go with an S&S E series. You'll really like it....

Old 12-05-2014, 06:26 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ronks2
I received the new carb a day ago. It really looks good. It does not have that heavy Harley look, but quality would not look out of place on a Kawasaki or other Japanese.

I am going to hold on to my carb where they are getting hard to come by, and once I get time to get the float pin out depending how this new one works I may put the stock back on.

Will keep you updated after the weekend.

Thanks

use this tool it works great for those pins

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Old 12-08-2014, 01:11 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned

Originally Posted by D_gyver
use this tool it works great for those pins
And the tricks are;

a) don't knock the pin right out ... leave it sticking on one side
b) support the side you are knocking it through, not the bottom edge of the bowl, because there's a small change you might damage the alloy (bend/crack it).

Original poster, would you mind posting a picture of this new carb of yours?

I'm interested to see what it is.

I'm still thinking it is a genuine Keihin rather than a "cheap Chinese rip off" ... albeit not bar and shield branded but I'd like to know.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 PM
ronks2
Intermediate
Default results are in.....

Worked great. Bolted it on, a few twists of the throttle and it started right up. Turned the idle adjustment screw about a turn and a half and I had a nice Harley thumping idle. Went a quarter turn more and it smoothed right out.

I did take a few pictures of it with my digital camera so I will be able to upload photos over the next day or two. The only note I have that will be visible in the photos are the EPA plug is in (not a problem, mine does not appear lean) and they have deleted the overflow tube from the bottom of the bowl. For what I needed, an inexpensive fix for my older Sporty that cruises the beaches, it worked excellent.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Quick Reply: Aftermarket CV carb anybody try one?