EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Big boo boo........

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

2.33 this morning. 3.53 if you didn't want alcohol in it. Wth, alcohol's supposed to absorb water, might keep it from sucking water globs in this cold humid weather. My cage sits for days sometimes. Probably be at least April before any batteries go back in a bike. Wonder how many thousands of dollars I've saved not smoking, bet it's a bunch for a 67 year old. Used to pedal to the grocery in the 50's, get cigs for the adults for a buck a carton. Yep, back then they'd sell cigarettes to an 8 year old. Probably a 3 year old on a tricycle if he had a buck...

Old 12-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
2.33 this morning. 3.53 if you didn't want alcohol in it. Wth, alcohol's supposed to absorb water, might keep it from sucking water globs in this cold humid weather. My cage sits for days sometimes. Probably be at least April before any batteries go back in a bike. Wonder how many thousands of dollars I've saved not smoking, bet it's a bunch for a 67 year old. Used to pedal to the grocery in the 50's, get cigs for the adults for a buck a carton. Yep, back then they'd sell cigarettes to an 8 year old. Probably a 3 year old on a tricycle if he had a buck...
You are thinking about the ethanol backwards. It attracts water and the water gets run through your engine. Ethanol is a huge problem down here, especially in older vehicles. Our humidity levels are high enough to steam broccoli.

My Jeep makes 3 mpg worse with ethanol. My Classic corvette doesn't run right with it. My 95 Heritage tolerates it but is better without it.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:13 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

TD when I read this thread and the first line of your post I thought "Oh **** he knocked Scarlett off the jack!!!!"

Old 12-14-2014, 06:28 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
TD when I read this thread and the first line of your post I thought "Oh **** he knocked Scarlett off the jack!!!!"

No sir! She floated slowly to the ground. That Craftsman bottle jack is the cat's meow on the J&S......

Old 12-15-2014, 06:31 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
You are thinking about the ethanol backwards. It attracts water and the water gets run through your engine. Ethanol is a huge problem down here, especially in older vehicles. Our humidity levels are high enough to steam broccoli.

My Jeep makes 3 mpg worse with ethanol. My Classic corvette doesn't run right with it. My 95 Heritage tolerates it but is better without it.
Mixing with water is kind of the idea, water and gas don't mix, but alcohol mixes with both, so you get a real diluted mix sucked out of the tank instead of a glob of water that makes the motor stutter. Those additives to remove water from gas are mostly just alcohol. Old timers in cold country used to put a pint of alcohol in the tank occasionally in the winter. Of course, that's not near as strong a mix as ethanol. My brother put water injection on his turbo car years back, advanced the timing, doubled the waste gate pressure. When the water ran out under boost, sounded like a couple rods broke.

Usually about 10% drop in mileage with ethanol. They tried selling E85 up here a few years back, cost more, got a big hit in mileage. Was hard to find about a year later. Not that I wanted to...

Your Vette made before gas went unleaded? Some of those earlier engines don't like unleaded gas; I had a Dodge 440 ci that didn't. I've heard the old valves don't like running without their lead cushion, too, need to run additives to make the valves last. There's a Shell station nearby that has ethanol free gas, like that for my bikes, honestly can't say they run better, but do get better mileage.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:25 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My grandfather used to proclaim: "One day gas will be a dollar a gallon. You just watch and see!"

Old 12-18-2014, 05:19 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by falconbrother
My grandfather used to proclaim: "One day gas will be a dollar a gallon. You just watch and see!"

Big boo boo........-forumrunner_20141218_181912.jpg

Getting closer

Old 12-18-2014, 10:08 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i first read the title I thought he looked at his back side in the mirror , As for the fuel price I paid $2.56 a gal for Diesel last night for my truck ,& wife paid $2.09 gal for reg gas today

Old 12-19-2014, 04:08 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by cowboy 51
When i first read the title I thought he looked at his back side in the mirror , As for the fuel price I paid $2.56 a gal for Diesel last night for my truck ,& wife paid $2.09 gal for reg gas today
WHAT? Why you...............

Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by traildog
WHAT? Why you...............
Sorry But just could'nt resist ,I know I have'nt been on here much latey , Life is so much in the way , BUT Merry Christmas to you & yours

Quick Reply: Big boo boo........