Rebuilding a first year evo eg

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:24 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by Sacredsouls
What you talking about Willis? Lol

So my cases should have a case breather and the heads shouldn't? I got the basketcase from a guy that got it from a guy lol. The dude I got it from makes a living flipping Harley's and said there would be two sets of heads to choose from and when I got there he only had one set. I am guess those aren't the original heads to this bike. The block numbers match the title does that mean anything? Can a re power block have the correct numbers put on it from the factory?

[QUOTE=Sacredsouls;13512205]What you talking about Willis? Lol

and noticed there is was flat spots for it so I did it. Having the oil filter hang off the bottom of the trans scared me do I changed it. But yes the cases are 84

But yes the cases are 84 <<<<<< FROM POST # 5 -- Maybe you should have explained a little bit better what you bought and HOW you came to believe your cases are an 84 vintage - and yes you get a re power with the same numbers that was on the original block as its transfered by harley so it matches your documents

My reason was to question was venting the engine - does the block have a bottom vent or are you using the top vent - top vented blocks did not happen till the early 90s and they vent top all the early vent bottom - the gaskets are different as well but you might know that also --- i was just looking to point out something you might have missed in the process

i wont do that again i see you have it under control -- jz

Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Sacredsouls
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=johnjzjz;13512402]
What you talking about Willis? Lol

and noticed there is was flat spots for it so I did it. Having the oil filter hang off the bottom of the trans scared me do I changed it. But yes the cases are 84

But yes the cases are 84 <<<<<< FROM POST # 5 -- Maybe you should have explained a little bit better what you bought and HOW you came to believe your cases are an 84 vintage - and yes you get a re power with the same numbers that was on the original block as its transfered by harley so it matches your documents

My reason was to question was venting the engine - does the block have a bottom vent or are you using the top vent - top vented blocks did not happen till the early 90s and they vent top all the early vent bottom - the gaskets are different as well but you might know that also --- i was just looking to point out something you might have missed in the process

i wont do that again i see you have it under control -- jz
I said they were 84 cases before you said anything only because I didn't know you could get re power cases esp with matching numbers. I apologize if you took that wrong I wasn't trying to be a dick I was simply trying to answer questions to the best of my knowledge.

I believe the head bolts were the hollow cap style that have internal threads like a nut. The studs stayed in the block and then slid the cylinders down over them and put the cap style bolts on. My next question is your saying the head breather heads should have had different gaskets. I got a gasket kit for a 1984 so do I have the wrong head gaskets and no my motor won't be able to breathe? All this info is making me second guess everything.

I don't see any vents on the block it self. Where would it be and I will look again. Me and my buddy noticed the heads were breather heads and I thought that's weird 84 wasn't supposed to have that. I don't know what the hell I have now. Frankenbike just my luck haha.

Sorry again if I seemed like I didn't want your help because I am new to the big twin game and I am always open to hear knowledge on anything about anything. So please point out all you can I am listening. I don't want this thing to grenade immediately when I finally get it started.

Last edited by Sacredsouls; 12-19-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:04 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=Sacredsouls;13512477]
Originally Posted by johnjzjz

I said they were 84 cases before you said anything only because I didn't know you could get re power cases esp with matching numbers. I apologize if you took that wrong I wasn't trying to be a dick I was simply trying to answer questions to the best of my knowledge.

I believe the head bolts were the hollow cap style that have internal threads like a nut. The studs stayed in the block and then slid the cylinders down over them and put the cap style bolts on. My next question is your saying the head breather heads should have had different gaskets. I got a gasket kit for a 1984 so do I have the wrong head gaskets and no my motor won't be able to breathe? All this info is making me second guess everything.

I don't see any vents on the block it self. Where would it be and I will look again. Me and my buddy noticed the heads were breather heads and I thought that's weird 84 wasn't supposed to have that. I don't know what the hell I have now. Frankenbike just my luck haha.

Sorry again if I seemed like I didn't want your help because I am new to the big twin game and I am always open to hear knowledge on anything about anything.
I know the rocker gaskets are different, not sure about the head gaskets. Wish I had an answer for you man. Looks like you got a re-man motor with the 84 vin number on it. What you should do is go up to your HD shop, give them the motor VIN # and they can tell you if it's had a re-man or if it's been rebuilt in the past, at least then you'll know for sure and can do what needs to be done.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:12 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Sacredsouls;13512477]I know the rocker gaskets are different, not sure about the head gaskets. Wish I had an answer for you man. Looks like you got a re-man motor with the 84 vin number on it. What you should do is go up to your HD shop, give them the motor VIN # and they can tell you if it's had a re-man or if it's been rebuilt in the past, at least then you'll know for sure and can do what needs to be done. __________________QUOTE]

this might help you a pic of my 85 same as the 84 and your head bolts are wrong for a 84 so it might be a repower or like you said a frankenbike and it wont hurt to have top breather heads just use solid bolts in the heads not the hollow ones

Old 12-19-2014, 10:22 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

look behind the oil pump and see if it has the bottom breather hole thats first

Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding a first year evo eg-shoveloilpumplinerouting2_zps1124302f.jpg  
Old 12-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Sacredsouls
Intermediate

Ok so I did some looking. I believe this is a breather hole in the case.

And I pulled the oil filter mount and here are the bosses that I drilled and tapped.

And here is a pic of the "stock" breather gear. It now has an s&s one in it which I don't know if that would have that for a top breather or a bottom or both.

No I have no idea what the hell I have haha. I am gonna guess that the guy I got this from have me later model heads but that still doesn't explain my "84" block having the oil filter bosses. I am gonna take your advice and go to hd tomorrow and see about the numbers to see if a re power has been done at some point. Now my question is should I use the top breather in the heads (if I have 84 jugs will they have the correct passages for top breathing?) or should I continue to use the bottom breather. I thought I was perplexed before. Holy ****

Old 12-19-2014, 10:38 PM
Sacredsouls
Intermediate

This is the only pic of the inside of the cam chest I have.

And this is a pic of the back of the motor by the oil pump before it was painted to show that hole clearly.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that's definitely a 91 92 case

Old 12-20-2014, 02:19 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

...I thought I was perplexed before. Holy ****
calm down and grab a cup of coffee; the men in this forum REALLY know their ****...they'll do everything they can and beyond to help. They'll most likely be able to help more than anyone at a dealer.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:11 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

I can't tell which heads you have without seeing if the vent passages are drilled from the top side.
When I had my original '90 evo remanned, it came back with top breather heads and rocker boxes with umbrella valves, but it had the reducer inserts in the vents to accept the 5/16" solid bolts.

Make sure you have the right cam chest gasket for the bottom breather engine, and the air/oil seperator in the tube.

I think you can use either, or both the top and bottom vents as long as you have the top breather heads and boxes.

Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding a first year evo eg-img_1879.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a first year evo eg