EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rebuilding a first year evo eg

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Sacredsouls
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding a first year evo eg

Hey guys. I was told I should come check in with the guys here in the evo section as it was a good place of guys and I would fit right in.

So I am in the process of putting together an 1984 FLHTC that I traded an 1986 sportster for and got it as a basket case.

I am having fun putting this all together and doing some customizing to it as I go. There will be lots of custom stuff done when I am happy with how she runs and rides first.

Here is a few pics of where I am at with the build.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

You will know it inside and out. Bungo Bill is ahead of you with his rebuild, check out some of his posts.
Did you do the paint on the engine? Looks good.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Sacredsouls
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Beemervet
You will know it inside and out. Bungo Bill is ahead of you with his rebuild, check out some of his posts.
Did you do the paint on the engine? Looks good.
Thanks will look that up. And yes I did the paint on the motor. The trans matches and so does the inner primary. All other black parts are gloss black. All chrome has or will be scotch brited. Only shiny thing on this one will be the gloss black parts. I am gonna do a satin paint job when that time comes.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,477 Likes on 5,455 Posts

Originally Posted by Sacredsouls
Rebuilding a first year evo
Has the motor been replaced? Never seen 84 cases that had the oil filter mount boss.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Sacredsouls
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Has the motor been replaced? Never seen 84 cases that had the oil filter mount boss.
Good eye sir. I drilled and tapped those holes to mount that there. I like the look of it there and noticed there is was flat spots for it so I did it. Having the oil filter hang off the bottom of the trans scared me do I changed it. But yes the cases are 84

Old 12-19-2014, 06:31 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,565 Likes on 2,890 Posts

you also have top breather heads - and the S&S has a top breather end on it --??? and the front filter came that way on later motors -- but i dont remember the bosses on the first blocks as it was many years in advance that actualy happened with the filter 84 is way to early to carry a running change that far in advance

you might have a re power replacement motor from harley not a real 84 evo block and that is a good thing actually

Old 12-19-2014, 07:53 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the way that chrome came out, makes me want to scuff up some chrome!

Old 12-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Sacredsouls
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
you also have top breather heads - and the S&S has a top breather end on it --??? and the front filter came that way on later motors -- but i dont remember the bosses on the first blocks as it was many years in advance that actualy happened with the filter 84 is way to early to carry a running change that far in advance

you might have a re power replacement motor from harley not a real 84 evo block and that is a good thing actually
What you talking about Willis? Lol

So my cases should have a case breather and the heads shouldn't? I got the basketcase from a guy that got it from a guy lol. The dude I got it from makes a living flipping Harley's and said there would be two sets of heads to choose from and when I got there he only had one set. I am guess those aren't the original heads to this bike. The block numbers match the title does that mean anything? Can a re power block have the correct numbers put on it from the factory?

Old 12-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Sacredsouls
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bluharley
I like the way that chrome came out, makes me want to scuff up some chrome!
I really dig the look too. However if all the chrome was already on the bike I don't think I would have done it. The main reason I did was all the chrome wasn't the best shape so this at least hides that some. It takes a lot of work getting all of it done. I have prolly 10-15 hours in just the motor and primary chrome.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:17 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sacredsouls
What you talking about Willis? Lol

So my cases should have a case breather and the heads shouldn't? I got the basketcase from a guy that got it from a guy lol. The dude I got it from makes a living flipping Harley's and said there would be two sets of heads to choose from and when I got there he only had one set. I am guess those aren't the original heads to this bike. The block numbers match the title does that mean anything? Can a re power block have the correct numbers put on it from the factory?
since it was apart there's a way to tell if it was a repower. the head bolts are they real bolts with washers or are they a long cap nut that threads on to the stud like all the Harleys after 85

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a first year evo eg