EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Another "crank but won't turn" bike here. Please help (Yes I used search tool too).

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Never got a PM. Nothin' on my PM stuff either.

Regardless, a charging problem is not the first thing to look at here. As 2 other people have said, do you have spark? Do you know how to check? Stick a #2 phillips in the end of the spark plug wire and hold the shaft near the head while you crank. Hold it by the plastic handle. If the spark jumps to the head, you have spark.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:33 AM
hog indo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I guessed mine didn't have spark at all. I used PTSD Bob method. Please tell me if I'm doing wrong:

I unplugged the plug's wires from both of the plugs. I didn't take out the plugs thou. I then plugged the old plugs (blackish on the head. That's OK?) and placed it on drill bits metal box. The box itself is not bare. Has red paint on it. I cranked to times on each wire using this method and didn't see any sparks. So what's next?

Old 12-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Do what I told you to check for spark. And only unplug one wire at a time.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:42 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by hog indo
Well, I guessed mine didn't have spark at all. I used PTSD Bob method. Please tell me if I'm doing wrong:

I unplugged the plug's wires from both of the plugs. I didn't take out the plugs thou. I then plugged the old plugs (blackish on the head. That's OK?) and placed it on drill bits metal box. The box itself is not bare. Has red paint on it. I cranked to times on each wire using this method and didn't see any sparks. So what's next?
That won't work as you are not completing a circuit.
Follow the Doctors orders and everything will be fine.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:45 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 ...
- Its also going to be easier on the system to also remove the sparkplugs.
- Then plug one of the sparkplug leads (the positive side of the circuit)into a free plug and then lay it on top of your primary cases or some bare metal on the bike (the negative side of the circuit)
- Now try to crank her over.
- If you have spark it should be very obvious.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:07 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GraemeR
+1 ...
- Its also going to be easier on the system to also remove the sparkplugs.
- Then plug one of the sparkplug leads (the positive side of the circuit)into a free plug and then lay it on top of your primary cases or some bare metal on the bike (the negative side of the circuit)
- Now try to crank her over.
- If you have spark it should be very obvious.
Thank you GraemeR; my mechanical memories are a tad bit old……..
So, help me with the next step… if no spark, then check battery voltage. If that is okay, then check that the wiring is clean, not corroded and well connected.. If that's not it….. sell it. J/K You will need a muti-meter to go any further….

Old 12-21-2014, 07:35 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

OK so we just got back home just now. Went and tried to start the bike. It crank (almost) the click, click. And I stopped trying. Stator busted?
At that point if you only got CLICK CLICK CLICK then the battery is under charged again.
Could the battery itself by bad/sick ?
Any chance you have some kind of shorted circuit that is causing a parasitic drain ?
If you are able to crank but not get started then you are missing fuel or spark.
I would remove a battery from a vehicle and connect to the battery post and see if it cranks.
If bike cranks then i would check spark.
If you have spark then i would check fuel.
I would guess the valve is open for fuel and fuel is able to flow and you have no blocked filter.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cranked ?

About a week a ago (during cold early morning) I stopped by nearby gas station to fill up my 1992 Ultra Classic before heading to my destination. Filled her up good and it won't start at all. No cranking, no clicking, NADA! Towed it home and parked it. Also put it on a tender.

Two days ago, I checked the battery and found out the connections wasn't too tight. I tightened both. Started the bike, cranked but won't fire. Later that day, I took the battery for some Load Test at local O'Reilly. Kinda "low" they said. So they re-charged it for me. I then put it back onto the bike and I tendered it.

Yesterday afternoon (after an overnight on the tendered), I started the bike again. Cranked but still won't turn fire. When to HD Forum and search similar problem and also PMed Dr. Hess if he has other method re. charging system diagnostic if the bike won't turn on (still waiting for his reply). I ended up taking the spark plugs out (black-ish) and replaced with a new ones. I started again. Still..., cranked but won't fire.

Hmmm....
I read the pages ., you need to charge the battery on a charger not a tender as a tender is not a charger. Take the indicated fully charged battery to a shop with qualified men in it and have a proper load test done on your indicated FULLY charged battery.
The loose battery connections you found originally will do some nasty things to your battery and charging system.
Check for overheated battery connectors etc.
Come back regarding no fire when you have acertained a good battery either by test or by purchase of a new one .

Old 12-23-2014, 10:33 AM
hog indo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to formally apologize to Beemervet, tmanbuckhunter, PTSDBob, Dr. Hess, texashillcountry, GraemeR, im and machinehed for wasting their time replying my thread.

Yesterday I sat next to my bike with my iPad on my hand and reading through your replies. For whatever reason, my brain telling me to look at the Pingol petcock on the bike. And.., yup! You guessed it right!!

So yeah..., I feel so stupid right now. Again..., I apologize for this!

Old 12-23-2014, 10:40 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Forget to turn the gas on?

Quick Reply: Another "crank but won't turn" bike here. Please help (Yes I used search tool too).