EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Another "crank but won't turn" bike here. Please help (Yes I used search tool too).

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 11:18 AM
hog indo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another "crank but won't fire" bike here. Please help (Yes I used search tool too).

About a week a ago (during cold early morning) I stopped by nearby gas station to fill up my 1992 Ultra Classic before heading to my destination. Filled her up good and it won't start at all. No cranking, no clicking, NADA! Towed it home and parked it. Also put it on a tender.

Two days ago, I checked the battery and found out the connections wasn't too tight. I tightened both. Started the bike, cranked but won't fire. Later that day, I took the battery for some Load Test at local O'Reilly. Kinda "low" they said. So they re-charged it for me. I then put it back onto the bike and I tendered it.

Yesterday afternoon (after an overnight on the tendered), I started the bike again. Cranked but still won't turn fire. When to HD Forum and search similar problem and also PMed Dr. Hess if he has other method re. charging system diagnostic if the bike won't turn on (still waiting for his reply). I ended up taking the spark plugs out (black-ish) and replaced with a new ones. I started again. Still..., cranked but won't fire.

Hmmm....

Last edited by hog indo; 12-20-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: using better terms.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:22 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Do you mean cranked but won't fire?

Old 12-20-2014, 11:24 AM
hog indo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Do you mean cranked but won't fire?
Yes..! That what I meant.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Did they load test the battery after bringing it up to full charge? Load test and charge test are two different things.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:49 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

Are you getting spark?

Old 12-20-2014, 06:20 PM
hog indo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Did they load test the battery after bringing it up to full charge? Load test and charge test are two different things.
They load test first. Result was "low". And then they re-charged it. Result was then good. Took it home, installed back on. Leave it overnight while tender it (battery back on the bike). Tried the bike the next morning, cranked but won't fire.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:25 PM
hog indo
Tourer

OK so we just got back home just now. Went and tried to start the bike. It crank (almost) the click, click. And I stopped trying. Stator busted?

Old 12-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Next check all cables and wires to battery and starter. We aren't looking at the stator or rotor because it's not a charging issue (you haven't been riding). You will need to figure out why you aren't getting full voltage at the starter. There are others here that can tell you how to check through the circuits. You also need to check for spark at the plugs.

Unless the guys at O'Reillys are full of crap.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:15 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Put a multi-meter on that battery and then you'll know for sure.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:18 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

you only need three things for it to run: fuel/air/fire.
start at the plugs… (you can just use an extra for this test..) pull a spark plug wire off the plug in the head… plug it into a 'spare' plug (so it will receive the 'shock' when cranked (pull the other side too… just leave it hanging..) then with your test plug laying on a stool or box, (and it is best to do this in the dark), fire it up. You will see the spark, or not. If no spark… well, there it is.
I've seen somewhat similar circumstances… one time the guy did not have the spark plug wire fully pushed onto the plug. Another; the plug wire was old and was shorting out on the frame…, and another; a battery cable was corroded underneath the plastic covering (closest to the battery). So, my suggestion.? well, you just heard it.. just be sure not to be standing in any water……...

Quick Reply: Another "crank but won't turn" bike here. Please help (Yes I used search tool too).