1998 Road King EFI tuners

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts
Default 1998 Road King EFI tuners

Had this in the touring section , it was suggest to try here

1998 FLHPI EFI , Runs great but has a decel poping and was wondering about tuners for these earlier versions of EFI

Thanks

Dave

Old 12-24-2014, 08:20 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

To fix decel pop is easy with a Powercommander PC3 USB, In the 0 percent TPS colume add a 5 in the 1500 rpm to 3500 rpm area and load it to the bike, the pop will go away. You can use a stock map to keep fuel management where it is at from the factory and make the change mentioned to the 0 TPS, Let me know.

Make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks or intake leaks before starting to change fuel management

Old 12-25-2014, 08:04 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

I have an old power commander on mine . The power commander II. You can contact Fuel Moto USA a forum sponsor. They have a much newer power commander that can function on your bike and they will send it programmed.
Check exhaust leak at slip-on muffler first. This bike runs lean from the factory and if pipes or air cleaner were changed it really needs a fuel adder. Are you sure one is not piggy backed ? maybe behind the left (clutch side) side painted cover near seat.
Here some information that will present valuable too you if you do not already know it in regards to that bike.
1-COMMON...Two fuel hoses under tank leak after 10 years. Harley $$$$$$$, Goodridge HDFL005 under $160 USA dollars or less total for BOTH if you check google .
The Goodridge lines are less than half the price of the Harley parts and are of good quality.
2-COMMON..speedometer LCD (odometer screen bleed). requires replacement when unable to read miles. Requires cutting about 12 wires. NOT PLUG AND PLAY LIKE NEWER ONES.
It is a different manufacturer from the newer ones.
3-COMMON..Cam position sensor...very difficult starting, lots of cranking but does not catch. A lot of cranking and no start then you wait a second and a quick tap to start button and it starts with very little cranking…look for visible goo leak under timer cone (right foot) at black wire exit from cone.
4-CRANK position sensor by oil filter (RARE) but if you use a power commander the signal must be 100%.
5-(MEDIUM COMMON)Tank liner releases at middle section near fuel pump..blocks flow of fuel..loss of power, slow down and piece moves from fuel inlet so bike is OK but then becomes trapped again so cycle repeats.. FREE REPAIR..open gas tank access lid, drain fuel and clean piece out.
6- VERY COMMON...ENGINE TEMPERATURE SENSOR...very common, general rough riding as bike bucks from cold to hot rapidly..$100 part.
7- Bikes that are pressure washed or in snow conditions with salt roads or people that added a power commander and destroyed the rubber boot at ECM..GROUNDING PIN ON ECM becomes corroded and requires cleaning.
8-The little chrome cover cap thing with the allen bolt on the starter will get loose one time and you will chase the rattle a long time until you figure out that under the cover is two 0.15 cent nuts and one is lost.
***-The shift linkage ends SUCK on all harleys and you need to change those yesterday to heim joints look on ebay if on a budget for: Heim Joint Rod End 5/16" with bolts for Harley Davidson as they should be about $10 delivered for both.
****VERY IMPORTANT...THE CAM POSITION SENSOR USES AN INSERT TWIST AND LOCK CONNECTION. MAKE 100% sure it is tight, zip tied and secure and then tie it one more time.. Located at throttle side of frame behind the PAINTED plastic side cover by seat (remove cover) and hidden by the triangle portion of frame..connector is black and about 2 or 3 inches long and the thickness of a fat pencil.
That thing had me scratching my head for a long time trying to chase an intermittant cut-off over bumps. Side of the road frustration thing..Many shops are unable to identify the simple problem while others waste your money by replacing it when it was only loose.
THE PARTS ARE READILY AVAILABLE for this bike with the exception of the gas tank from either the dealer or aftermarket.
I would imagine you have the service book or will get the service book for this bike from Harley for about $50 99483-98 . Finally if needed you get the book read chapter 9. You can review check engine codes with no tools by following a simple sequence.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

im------ Thank-you very much for that reply and the time it took you

now a have a few things to check and a place to start

Dave

Old 12-25-2014, 10:02 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

With this system fuel is being cut off in the 0 throttle position area above the idle parameter at decel which causes unspent gases in the exhaust to ignite from heat, adding fuel in the areas I mentioned puts some fuel back into the exhaust on decel and cools it down.

Catch a PC3 USB for 97-98 EFI for $50 on Ebay and contact me or Fuel Moto has their own PC3 without the manual fuel buttons that is cheaper, not many areas of fuel in a map being added to a stock application so don't over think EFI and head down the wrong path, no exhaust or intake leaks, add fuel in the 0 TPS colume for repair in a mild to stock application. This system works well keeping it simple, make it complicated and you will pull it off.

They also make a Cobra and Doebeck that adds fuel in 3 areas like the common carb crossover rpm ranges low, mid range, high and a easy set up to use that can get the job done but not as precise as a PC3 plus a PC3 can alter timing

Last edited by 1997bagger; 12-25-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Just to make sure , this is what i have , i am assuming stock ????

Thanks , as you probably guessed im a S&S B expert LOL

Dave

Old 12-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shovelhead1980
Just to make sure , this is what i have , i am assuming stock ????

Thanks , as you probably guessed im a S&S B expert LOL

Dave
Yup. Don't see any fuel controllers there... BTW, I have a PCIII, dyno tuned, and still have some decel popping... I don't know that the MM FI will ever be as crisp as a good carb, but it works just fine.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

The cheapest unit i can find is $300 usd + shipping and that was e-bay

fuelmoto dosent list anything under 1999

Any body know of anything else ???

Thanks

Dave

Old 12-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shovelhead1980
The cheapest unit i can find is $300 usd + shipping and that was e-bay

fuelmoto dosent list anything under 1999

Any body know of anything else ???

Thanks

Dave
You can find them (Dyno jet power commanders) on ebay, used, for around $100....

Old 12-25-2014, 03:21 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Looks like Fuel Moto dropped the 97-98, PC3's will come across Ebay or parts boards cheap as people who dump the system try to recover back some money, Keep watching and one will show up

Quick Reply: 1998 Road King EFI tuners