EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New ride need help with an issue or two

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee⋁13541064
Where do you put your right hand when you're rolling and the grip is auto-twisting?
The throttle grip doesn't move when the cruise is set. A cruise equipt bike has a special idler cable that needs to be properly adjusted.

Originally Posted by Spanners39
......I think its dangerous on a bike.
Only when you fall asleep. And trust me, I've nodded off at 70 mph....

Originally Posted by Beemervet
If you live in a country that has thousands of miles of interstate highways and you travel hundreds of miles per day, cruise is a wonderful thing.
The Harley-Davidson electronic cruise is one of the things The MoCo did right. Holds speed within 1mph on my 80" EVO. Resume, 'bump' to increase/decrease functions all work great.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by fireman_033
... Hackd that is pretty much the gist of things.
Check for corrosion at the Set/Resume switch. It's just a small micro switch.

Check for corrosion at the stepper motor connection.

See if the on/off light is still working when the cruise is not. You could be tripping the breaker.

Unfortunately, the stepper motor has been obsoleted by The MoCo. If there is an issue with it, then you will need to source a used one from a salvage.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:18 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

With the stepper motor/control, if you're careful you can warm up the HD label and peel it off. The ones I've worked with were made by Delco and a few years back the Delco part # showed it as available. Not sure if that holds true today,

Old 12-30-2014, 04:31 PM
BigBlock1969
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have electric cruise on my 98 ultra and honestly couldn't even tell you if it works. Never liked it.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:03 PM
fireman_033
Novice

Off on switch on nacelle is lit up and I have turned it off and on to see what happens. When it works the light on the dash lights up but when it does not light on dash does not light.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Off on switch on nacelle is lit up and I have turned it off and on to see what happens. When it works the light on the dash lights up but when it does not light on dash does not light.
Ain't that switch for the passing lamps?

Old 12-31-2014, 04:00 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Your FLHTCU uses the same instrument cluster as my FLHS, the green CRUISE lamp will be lit only when the cruise is turned on (toggle switch), AND the SET is pushed on the mini-toggle (handlebar). Hitting the brakes, physically rolling off the throttle, or turning off the power toggle (when cruise is SET) will turn off the green CRUISE light in the cluster.

Again, I would start by checking the mini-toggle switch on the handlebar grip housing for corrosion or a bad connection.

Also check the idler cable. There is a spongy rubber spacer that prevents two contacts from completing a circuit. Rolling off the throttle compresses the spacer and the two contacts come together and deactivate the cruise. If the spacer is gone or permanently compressed, the circuit could be activating intermittently.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:43 PM
fireman_033
Novice

Thanks Hackd I will check that Friday or Sunday if the weather is good. Back to the fire station tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:33 PM
fireman_033
Novice

OK finally warmed up enough to ride a little and I noticed that the charging system was not acting quite right. Under 12v at idle and 16 cruising... I broke out the handy dandy volt meter and it was below 12v at idle but it was the top end that was scary... 17.5 at about 2800... I ordered a voltage regulator but you guys think a spike like that could cause cruise issues?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:20 PM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

when the cruise quit on my '02 Ultra it was the micro switch on the throttle cable that kicks off the cruise when you twist the throttle off. it's along the neck in front of the tank on the right side. unplugged one wire from the switch and the cruise works again, still shuts off either with brake or clutch just not with the throttle.

Quick Reply: New ride need help with an issue or two