EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New ride need help with an issue or two

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:53 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

To answer your question, no, that spike would have no effect on cruise.

Not being a FSM ****, but to illustrate how complicated cruise diagnostics are, it takes about ten pages in the manual.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 PM
fireman_033
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks beemervet. I really didn't think it would but one can dream... I know in some system low voltage can do some strange things so I was hoping the high voltage may have been having an I'll effect...

Last edited by fireman_033; 01-20-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

It's been my observation that EVO's don't charge at idle. Get the RPM's up and that's when they start charging. 17 volts is a bit high, you probably need to do the whole diagnostic thing on the charging system. If you do replace the voltage regulator, MAKE CERTAIN, that you have a solid connection at the stator plug. This is a horrid design brought to you courtesy of The MoCo.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:05 PM
JohnMB
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If your cables are adjusted too tight it will give you the same problem

Old 01-22-2015, 06:13 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,818 Likes on 3,320 Posts
Default Thumb screw..

I at times do use my manual cruise (it's a thumb screw lock) on longer rides just to relieve the numbness from my right hand, I don"t jam it on but just enough so I can still twist when needed but i still keep my hands on the bars, mostly. Mechanical is a lot more dependable.

As for your cam choice the 27 is a good bolt in but you will need to mess with the jetting in the carb to accommodate and if you do the ignition the dyna is a single fire so you will need the coil as well runs around $400.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 PM
fireman_033
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I managed to score an ev27 can from eBay used for $66.10. I am prolly gonna go ahead and freshen up the engine when I do the can cause the base gaskets are leaking. I will just have to collect parts up and do it when I get them all.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:27 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
There is a spongy rubber spacer that prevents two contacts from completing a circuit. Rolling off the throttle compresses the spacer and the two contacts come together and deactivate the cruise. If the spacer is gone or permanently compressed, the circuit could be activating intermittently.

I wasnt aware of the grommet, I'll need to check that!! I've, long ago, identified that mine is due to the roll off switch, I can fiddle with it and it will start working again, but same symptoms.. I think they were all built with this wonderful intermitent feature..

By the way, no disrespect to the guys who dont like it, to each thier own, but you are nutz! Its great to have the option to maintain a speed on a long trip.. I rarely ride with two hands anyhow, so switching up can double my time between stops.. A friction screw is just not the same thing, though it will do in a pinch.. I use it on the Dyna and Sporty..

Old 01-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HGM
I wasnt aware of the grommet, I'll need to check that!! I've, long ago, identified that mine is due to the roll off switch..
Harley obsoleted the cruise idler cable, but I believe it is available from Barnett.

Originally Posted by HGM
By the way, no disrespect to the guys who dont like it, to each thier own, but you are nutz! Its great to have the option to maintain a speed on a long trip..
I agree with you 150%

Old 01-26-2015, 07:42 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
Harley obsoleted the cruise idler cable, but I believe it is available from Barnett.

I agree with you 150%
On a side note, you guys need to order more of that "global warming" stuff.. I've gotta go to Wixom next month.. I'll be leaving the bikes at home..

Old 01-28-2015, 12:19 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Wixom, MI is just up the road from me, less than 10 miles. Cold crappy SE Michigan winter. At least we don't have the record snow fall that we had last year. If you're driving, you'll really love all the potholes. Too many to miss on some stretches of road. And more appearing every day.

Quick Reply: New ride need help with an issue or two