EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New ride need help with an issue or two

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:46 PM
fireman_033
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ride need help with an issue or two

I just picked up a 94 flhtcu and it is bone stock. I have an intermittent cruise inop issue any ideas? Already checked brake light switch. Light is turning off anyway. I want to do some upgrades such as cam and ignition. Not necessarily in that order. If I add a dynatek 2000 HD1 will I notice any difference? Looking at the Andrews ev27 or ev23 cam. Any suggestion? By the way I posted this in the touring section and was referred to the classic section by another member... I knew it was not a new bike but did not realize it was a classic... but thats ok cause I like classics... Just left that classification for things like my 69 Firebird...

Last edited by fireman_033; 12-28-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:58 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Same bike and same problem. A few years back I stripped my bike down, tested every wire and switch and found no problems. I reassembled the bike went through the cruise control diagnostic tests and could not get through it without errors so I gave up. I rode it without trouble all year then the next year the intermittent problems were back, still have the issue. Some times it works for many miles and sometimes only for a block. All I can suggest is to get the manual and start tracing the circuits and you may get lucky.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:05 PM
fireman_033
Novice

Thanks for the reply. When mine works it stays engaged until I stop then it does not want to resume but not all the time... Guess i should have put that in the first post...

Old 12-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman_033
.. it stays engaged until I stop then it does not want to resume but not all the time...
Okay, I'm a bit confused. Do you mean until you come to a complete stop? Or hit the brake lever or pedal?

Does it just disengage without braking, hitting the on/off switch, or rolling off the throttle?

Old 12-29-2014, 03:44 PM
fireman_033
Novice

Just does not always re engage or engage to begin with for that matter. It stays engaged until you hit the brakes or clutch though. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Okay, so you're saying that when the cruise is 'on', and you activate the 'set' on the handlebar switch, that it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't?

And that when it is working, when you deactivate it by braking, the
'resume' sometimes works and sometimes doesn't?

I would look at the small toggle switch and check for corrosion, etc.

Also check the connection to the stepper motor for the same.

There really isn't much to the HD electronic cruise, I installed one on my FLHS using a kit designed for the FLHTC.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Arrrrrrgh, hey Op,
Welcome to the Evo forum and now the hijack, arrrrrrgh,
What is so useful about the cruise control? I get it that if it's there then it should work but I personally dislike it. Where do you put your right hand when you're rolling and the grip is auto-twisting?
Welcome to the forum, fireman!
Tom

Old 12-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee&Vee
Arrrrrrgh, hey Op,
Welcome to the Evo forum and now the hijack, arrrrrrgh,
What is so useful about the cruise control? I get it that if it's there then it should work but I personally dislike it. Where do you put your right hand when you're rolling and the grip is auto-twisting?
Welcome to the forum, fireman!
Tom

Agreed, the easy fix for this is not to use Cruise Control.......I think its dangerous on a bike.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

If you live in a country that has thousands of miles of interstate highways and you travel hundreds of miles per day, cruise is a wonderful thing. Of course there are times not to use it, like in the rain, heavy traffic, etc. You may do as you please with your right hand.

OP, make sure your throttle cables are not adjusted too tight.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:13 PM
fireman_033
Novice

Thanks for all the response. Hackd that is pretty much the gist of things like when I left the dealership on test drive I pulled out on the service road I reached down and turned the cruise switch on and hit the set button and the light on the dash popped on and I was cruisin. When I came up to the stop sign crossed the interstate and got on the onramp and entered the interstate hit the resume and nothing... I have never rode a bike with cruise so I wasnt sure if I was doing somethin wrong or what. Left the dealership after purchase hit the button and it worked. Next ride no work. Later made another trip to town and it worked every time I turned it off and on. I have not been able to ride it since Christmas eve due to the weather 40s and raining argh... As to what to do with my hand while the cruise is on... Text of course... lol No not really it boils my blood to see someone text and drive. Work enough wrecks as a result and u will understand. I have not had the chance to ride this bike much maybe 60 miles thus far but i know on previous bikes my right hand gave me a little trouble wanting to go to sleep and such on any kind of trip like even 20 miles so I thought since it has it it would be nice for it to work. The vibes on this one arent like they were on the softail but that may change with the cam.

Last edited by fireman_033; 12-29-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: New ride need help with an issue or two