EVO All Evo Model Discussion

EVO left me stranded today

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:50 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
I grew up around die hard Harley riders who would bitch about how shitty their HD's were, and nothing has changed. Doesn't mean I'd rather be on a metric. The puddles of oil under mine are a right of passage.

OP, have you pulled your points cover off? A melted pickup will cause all sorts of funny problems.
On an EVO puddles of oil aren't a right of passage they are a sign of **** poor maintenance.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
On an EVO puddles of oil aren't a right of passage they are a sign of **** poor maintenance.
Bull ****. A leak on a 20 year old motorcycle is a sign of old age and rotted seals. Me and TJ replaced everything but one seal and that was the seal that was leaking... just the way it goes. Don't really care anymore... I only worry about the things that will leave me on the side of the road for now. It's getting torn down to the frame in another year or so anyways.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

You can also heat the cone with a hair dryer or heat gun to try to duplicate the failure.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:28 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I know my original one was melted all to ****... whatever filler/coating they put over the chip on the pick up is different now from the old brown stuff. It's black/clearish.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:39 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry

agreed. my evo doesn't leak, but used to. i have two shovels, and even they don't leak. certainly did when i bought them. after going through them, clean as a whistle. i build bikes as a hobby, buy them cheap, leaking, and neglected. sell them reliable and holding their own fluids. the only person to blame is the owner, or person turning the wrenches.

mike

Old 01-18-2015, 12:09 AM
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The module on my 84 FXST died after 11 years. No warning at all. it just died. I replaced the electronic ignition with a Blue Streak points ignition and ran it for 9 years until I stopped riding. Converting to points took about an hour or so and I never once regretted the decision. I am in the process of brining my 84 FXST back to life and when it fires up, it will have Blue Streak point in the cone.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:21 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle
The module on my 84 FXST died after 11 years. No warning at all. it just died. I replaced the electronic ignition with a Blue Streak points ignition and ran it for 9 years until I stopped riding. Converting to points took about an hour or so and I never once regretted the decision. I am in the process of brining my 84 FXST back to life and when it fires up, it will have Blue Streak point in the cone.
I hear that, I'm switching back to total loss oil system too.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:25 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Bull ****. A leak on a 20 year old motorcycle is a sign of old age and rotted seals. Me and TJ replaced everything but one seal and that was the seal that was leaking... just the way it goes. Don't really care anymore... I only worry about the things that will leave me on the side of the road for now. It's getting torn down to the frame in another year or so anyways.
Ah ha, so that's how you keep the mud from off-roading from sticking.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:49 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
You can also heat the cone with a hair dryer or heat gun to try to duplicate the failure.
This is what you need to do. Get it nice and hot and see if it will start. Or get some of that compressed air in a can and wait until it won't start and spray it with the air to cool it and see if it will start.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:06 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So, I guess I need to drill the rivets on the nose cone cover and look at the sensor? The engine is a HD factory refurbish that was done about 35,000 miles ago and in the winter of 04-05. The module and the coil are the original 1988 version. I don't know if HD replaces the sensor behind the nose cone on a refurb or not. Anyway, it's an issue that occurs when the bike is at operating temperature and it's getting worse. I thought it was the carb and, there may have been an issue there because it does start super easy and idle better since I upped the idle jet size to a .31 on the S&S. Clearly I had two issues that kept stranding me. Before I would eventually get the bike to start. Now, it wont start again for hours. The bike has to be completely cold to start. That kinda makes me think it's the sensor in the nose cone sine that would be that last part to cool down. I really want to stay as close to stock on the ignition as I can. Are stock-ish sensors still available? I am ordering a coil today and I already have a module.

Quick Reply: EVO left me stranded today