EVO All Evo Model Discussion

EVO left me stranded today

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:39 PM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default EVO left me stranded today

1988, FLHTC.. I went out riding today and the bike was running maybe the best that it has ever run. After about an hour or so I stopped at a Subway and when I came back out the bike wouldn't fire at all. It turned over fine. I pulled the plugs and checked for spark and didnt see that there was any spark. I waited a while, tried my backup set of plugs, not so much as a cough trying to fire. I called my wife and to make a long story short got my trailer and loaded up the bike and took her home. I tried to start the bike when I got home and, just like before, it turned over great but, no start.

I went out to the garage a little bit ago to start pulling the tank and tried to start the bike and she fired right up like nobodies business. What could cause an intermediate spark situation? What would cause it to activate when the bike is shut down to then not have spark to restart? Do I need to replace my ignition system? I have a used ignition module I can install that I bought at a swap meet. I don't have a coil or the sensor so I'd need to order that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My wife says I need a new(er) motorcycle. I say, no I just need to fix this one. She thinks I ought to get a Goldwing. I think I wouldn't like a Goldwing like I like my old Harley.

Last edited by falconbrother; 01-17-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the trigger in the cone see if it looks as if its melting at the wire in location

Old 01-17-2015, 08:09 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I can't help you with your problem as I don't really know what's causing it, but I'm conflicted on getting rid of mine everyday... seems like each day there is a new problem, but then I fire it up and forget all about that non sense... hope you get it fixed soon.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:22 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the trigger in the cone see if it looks as if its melting at the wire in location

Old 01-17-2015, 08:59 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Odds are good it's the ignition module. This is exactly how they act when going bad, they become intermittent.

Been there, done that. I upgraded to a Crane Hi 4E. Had to upgrade wiring to the newer module style.

The timing sensor located in the nosecone more often fails completely. It's a magnetic reed switch. Newest version is a solid state module.

Substituting another module is the quickest way to trouble shoot the issue.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

There's no point in guessing, you'll just end up swapping a lot of parts. You have to wait until you have the problem again and trace it back until you find where the current stops. It can't be that much of a problem, but you have to find it.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by falconbrother
1988, FLHTC.

I went out to the garage a little bit ago to start pulling the tank and tried to start the bike and she fired right up like nobodies business. What could cause an intermediate spark situation? What would cause it to activate when the bike is shut down to then not have spark to restart? Do I need to replace my ignition system? I have a used ignition module I can install that I bought at a swap meet. I don't have a coil or the sensor so I'd need to order that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My wife says I need a new(er) motorcycle. I say, no I just need to fix this one. She thinks I ought to get a Goldwing. I think I wouldn't like a Goldwing like I like my old Harley.
Start with the basics, pull all of your connectors apart from the fuses to the handle bars, to the ignition, inspect them, clean them and use dielectric grease.
On older bikes this should be a regularly scheduled maintenance at least every two years or so depending how the bike is ridden.
Check for any loose wires, and if you did anything to the tank starting to take it off, check there.
Try wiggling wires to try to recreate the problem, if you can check the coil to see if you are getting current. It is hard to diagnose a problem when it cures itself randomly.
And forget the goldwing, they have no sole.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:33 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
I can't help you with your problem as I don't really know what's causing it, but I'm conflicted on getting rid of mine everyday... seems like each day there is a new problem, but then I fire it up and forget all about that non sense... hope you get it fixed soon.
Goodness this from a man with "your twin cam is ****" in his signature:-)

Old 01-17-2015, 09:39 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Only 3 parts to the ignition system, really: Coil, nose cone pickup or module. You have one of those bad. Nose cone, module, coil are in my opinion, the order most failures are seen in. The Book has diagnostic directions for the ignition system.

I think you should trade that thing in on a newer model. This time, make sure you get one that doesn't like Goldwings or other Honduhs.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:43 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Goodness this from a man with "your twin cam is ****" in his signature:-)
I grew up around die hard Harley riders who would bitch about how shitty their HD's were, and nothing has changed. Doesn't mean I'd rather be on a metric. The puddles of oil under mine are a right of passage.

OP, have you pulled your points cover off? A melted pickup will cause all sorts of funny problems.

Quick Reply: EVO left me stranded today