EVO All Evo Model Discussion

91 Ultra Rebuild. Rear Fender Swap question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:45 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 91 Ultra Rebuild. Rear Fender Swap question.

The Rear Fender on my 91 Ultra needs a bit of restoration.
I have been looking on eBay for a good replacement and I was wondering if anyone on the Forum can tell me which later model Fenders will swap without mods inc.drilling. Bungo

Old 01-18-2015, 04:22 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 08 street glide fenders on my 90. But had to drill the holes. It's very simple. Lay the old fender on top of the new and mark the holes. Drill and bolt it up

Mike

Old 01-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Bungo,
I'm baffled! You've taken this build from at death's door to almost a full resurrection. What's a few drilled holes to you along this (our) odyssey?
Tom
🔧

Old 01-19-2015, 06:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by MIKE93SVT
I have 08 street glide fenders on my 90. But had to drill the holes. It's very simple. Lay the old fender on top of the new and mark the holes. Drill and bolt it up

Mike
I've done exactly the same, even to the same model years! To support mine while I juggled with it I drilled a hole through the top of the new fender and used a screw from underneath through the threaded hole at the front of that beautiful tourpak mounting platform that later bikes are not blessed with.

I bought my 'new' fender from a trike conversion and it came complete with all the lights. Only after receiving it did I realise that was just as well, as they look the same, but aren't - the original lights won't transfer over, even if you can get the old ones off (I also have a newer '03 front fender and the same comment applies).

I think I'm right in saying that a rear fender up to 1996 will fit as a direct replacement, but from '97 to '08 they are actually a different shape and use a different system of mounting. They are however exactly the same width. Although when installed they look the same, the curvature is tighter, viewed from the side, so that the front end is around 2 1/2" further rearward, at the swingarm pivot area.

As Mike points out, it was a simple matter of drilling a few holes in the right places, also adapting the lights wiring to marry up to the harness.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:02 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Mike
Hi Mike,did your 08 Fender come with the vents at motor end.?
If not....how important are the vents.?

Old 01-19-2015, 12:07 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tee&Vee
Bungo,
I'm baffled! You've taken this build from at death's door to almost a full resurrection. What's a few drilled holes to you along this (our) odyssey?
Tom
🔧
Normally I would have no problem drilling new holes on the swap Fender but I was hoping just to bolt it straight on. Also...how important are the vents on the motor end of the fender. I notice that a lot of Fenders look similar but have a "cutaway" at the motor end.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:38 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by BungoBill
Hi Mike,did your 08 Fender come with the vents at motor end.?
If not....how important are the vents.?
The later fenders don't have those vents, but then they are much further rearward at that location, due to the different shape I mentioned above. I'm not sure what benefit those vents had, to be honest!

Old 01-19-2015, 11:24 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
The later fenders don't have those vents, but then they are much further rearward at that location, due to the different shape I mentioned above. I'm not sure what benefit those vents had, to be honest!

yep. if they were that important, they would have kept them on the fenders....

forgot about the wiring for brake lights, but that's easy too. i ended up converting the bike over to a 2001 Road king harness. so that just made EVERYTHING easier. newer dash and speedo, hand controls, etc.

mike

Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain

yep. if they were that important, they would have kept them on the fenders....

forgot about the wiring for brake lights, but that's easy too. i ended up converting the bike over to a 2001 Road king harness. so that just made EVERYTHING easier. newer dash and speedo, hand controls, etc.

mike
Hi Mike,Thanks for reply. I Have seen an 95 FLHTCUI (Injection?) Rear Fender in good condition. Do you know if that will fit my 91 FLHTCU ?

Old 01-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

The '95 should fit just fine, there are no frame changes from '91 to '95.

Quick Reply: 91 Ultra Rebuild. Rear Fender Swap question.