EVO All Evo Model Discussion

cam curious

Old 01-22-2015, 06:00 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Read the above sticky "Kees Learns The Truth.........", then come back and ask informed questions.
Read the sticky, wow that's ****ed,did not notice the sticky before , I would not have bothered anyone with my inquiry. Guess I'll be doing a compression check like uuuuumm , yesterday. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:01 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Read the sticky, wow that's ****ed,did not notice the sticky before , I would not have bothered anyone with my inquiry. Guess I'll be doing a compression check like uuuuumm , yesterday. Thanks for the heads up.
Kee's bike had over 100k on the top end... you aint even close.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:12 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Yeah, I got ya. Good point.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:29 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
I don't want to do something half *** or screw anything up by not doing enough but I am about to do more research before I sharpen my bolt cutters.
I got more out of a cam upgrade than I did rising the compression and porting the heads.

Knowing what I know now I would have stopped at the cam upgrade.

As for the bolt cutters I would advise against them but that is just me.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:59 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I got more out of a cam upgrade than I did rising the compression and porting the heads.

Knowing what I know now I would have stopped at the cam upgrade.

As for the bolt cutters I would advise against them but that is just me.
I'll leave the bolt cutting talent to him,as for my ideas I wasn't thinking all out,port & polish , shaving and all that, just new everything and a nice cam that I'll notice. We'll see how the compression is, I have a tester.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:02 PM
Kees
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter

But be sure to add a 42mm Mikuni Carb otherwise you'll be kicking yourself again...

Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

At the time your bike was built, like every Harley since long before, it had to meet EPA regulations on noise and exhaust emissions. Most of the tuning you will read about for our Evos is simply undoing some of the harm done to performance by those regulations. They affect the design of the air filter housing (actually a muffler), carb settings, cam profiles, also (and often over-looked) ignition timing and advance curves.

You probably by now have a good handle on answering your original question, but as you finalise your project, consider replacing the ignition module as well. Each of the various things mentioned above will contribute to making your bike so much better to ride and enjoy.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:37 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kees
But be sure to add a 42mm Mikuni Carb otherwise you'll be kicking yourself again...
I have an HSR42 on there now,love it.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:51 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
At the time your bike was built, like every Harley since long before, it had to meet EPA regulations on noise and exhaust emissions. Most of the tuning you will read about for our Evos is simply undoing some of the harm done to performance by those regulations. They affect the design of the air filter housing (actually a muffler), carb settings, cam profiles, also (and often over-looked) ignition timing and advance curves.

You probably by now have a good handle on answering your original question, but as you finalise your project, consider replacing the ignition module as well. Each of the various things mentioned above will contribute to making your bike so much better to ride and enjoy.
Well I did upgrade to a 32amp charging system, rotor,stator, regulator, also electronic ignition switch. Barrnett clutch,chain, tentioner,every starter component and more,she's very happy that she's being taken care of now. It seems to like the straight pipes with the power cones dropped in them.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,339 Posts

The86 has the "good" cam bearing in it already. No need to change it unless you really want to. It's a matter of how much other stuff you want to do. Just put the cam in? You should put new lifters as well, as those are due now at 40. Re-use the old pushrods or put new adjustables in? With adjustables, you don't have to pull the rocker box tops off, so you don't have to pull the tank off, so you don't have to pull the seat.... But if the rocker boxes are leaking, then I'd certainly go in there and fix that and re-use the fixed ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cam curious