EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Problem bleeding rear brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Retirementtoy
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Problem bleeding rear brake

Changed the brake fluid in the front bakes and had no problem, used my brake bleeder and drained old fluid and bled new fluid in with no problems went to do the rear and got nothing. Pulled the rear master cylinder and checked it, everything seemed to be fine all parts inside were clean and new looking and all holes were clear, put a new hose on the reservoir to the master cylinder and before hooking up the rear hose I blew air through that from the rear caliper and blew out all the old fluid from there and put it all back together. Filled the reservoir with new fluid and put the bleeder on the rear caliper and nothing. It will not suck the new fluid into it. I put the pedal back on and tried to bleed it the old fashioned way and nothing.

Opinions are welcome and all help is appreciated.

STEVE

Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

clean an oil can or use new one - fill with the brake fluid - using a vacuum hose connect to bleeder on rear caliper - pump fluid out of can and into master - when bubbles stop close bleeder pump the rear foot pedal - when you have a good firm pedal your done or you could pump some more onto the system just to be sure

Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Retirementtoy
Tourer

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
clean an oil can or use new one - fill with the brake fluid - using a vacuum hose connect to bleeder on rear caliper - pump fluid out of can and into master - when bubbles stop close bleeder pump the rear foot pedal - when you have a good firm pedal your done or you could pump some more onto the system just to be sure
Isn't this the same as hooking the vacuum line to the rear caliper and filling the reservoir to the master cylinder and drawing it through? That's what I did and it wouldn't draw any fluid through.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Originally Posted by Retirementtoy
Isn't this the same as hooking the vacuum line to the rear caliper and filling the reservoir to the master cylinder and drawing it through? That's what I did and it wouldn't draw any fluid through.
ahh ahh, push it

Old 01-22-2015, 08:38 PM
TheZombie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was there a problem before you decided to bleed it?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
ahh ahh, push it
As long as it's not a Speed Bleeder.

I noticed you blew the old fluid out with air while the bleeder was out and then put the bleeder back in. Would a speed bleeder also keep you from drawing the fluid out? Maybe try a new bleeder screw.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

In the umpteen years I've been bleeding brakes I have never found a foolproof way. When I replaced the rear hose on my bike a while ago I gave it a few experimental presses on the pedal, did what I intended as a preliminary bleed - before tackling it in earnest - and hey presto - firm as a rock! The fronts took ages.

On my bike the reservoir is high up on the left side of the bike. Wherever yours is go about this in sections. On mine I would disconnect the down-pipe from the reservoir at the master cylinder, to ensure fluid is at the bottom of the pipe and available to the cylinder. Remove the pipe to the caliper, at the master cylinder, and ensure fluid is coming out of it. Connect the pipe and if necessary disconnect it at the caliper and check fluid is there. Reconnect and bleed.

On my first Harley, a shovel, I used to remove the rear caliper (not disconnecting the hydraulics), as it was much higher than the master cylinder. I would lay it on the ground and bleed it more easily down there, as the caliper was now lower than the master cylinder.

The following users liked this post:
AHD4ME (11-27-2022)
Old 01-23-2015, 06:41 AM
Retirementtoy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Schex3x
ahh ahh, push it
Push it, push it good.

Originally Posted by TheZombie
Was there a problem before you decided to bleed it?
I was just changing the fluids because I just got the bike and want to do all the fluids especially since it's a 1988, who knows how long it's been.

Originally Posted by Tony_N
As long as it's not a Speed Bleeder.

I noticed you blew the old fluid out with air while the bleeder was out and then put the bleeder back in. Would a speed bleeder also keep you from drawing the fluid out? Maybe try a new bleeder screw.
I am not sure it's a speed bleeder, it looks like all other bleeders I have dealt with and when we opened the bleeder on the rear caliper it didn't leak much at all and since I had the line off the master cylinder I wanted to make sure that line was clear so I took a piece of 5/16 hose and put it over the open hole and blew the old fluid out. It didn't blow as freely as I thought it should so that may be the problem, the hose may not be good anymore.

Originally Posted by grbrown
In the umpteen years I've been bleeding brakes I have never found a foolproof way. When I replaced the rear hose on my bike a while ago I gave it a few experimental presses on the pedal, did what I intended as a preliminary bleed - before tackling it in earnest - and hey presto - firm as a rock! The fronts took ages.
On my bike the reservoir is high up on the left side of the bike. Wherever yours is go about this in sections. On mine I would disconnect the down-pipe from the reservoir at the master cylinder, to ensure fluid is at the bottom of the pipe and available to the cylinder. Remove the pipe to the caliper, at the master cylinder, and ensure fluid is coming out of it. Connect the pipe and if necessary disconnect it at the caliper and check fluid is there. Reconnect and bleed.

On my first Harley, a shovel, I used to remove the rear caliper (not disconnecting the hydraulics), as it was much higher than the master cylinder. I would lay it on the ground and bleed it more easily down there, as the caliper was now lower than the master cylinder.
This is how I will attack it this morning, one section at a time, to make sure there is fluid at each point, I will probably be getting a new hose for it also. I didn't have any problem with the front all went as planned. Thank you all for your responses I'll let you know how it works out.

Last edited by Retirementtoy; 01-23-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

It seems when bleeding brakes what works for one does not always work for another. Pushing the fluid does seem to help when your dealing with a troublesome system. Did not see mentioned. If you haven't gotten a good pedal after bleeding, try pushing the piston back into the caliper and then pumping the brake back up. Has done me good more than once

WP

Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My fatboy with the forward controls it was always a PIA. Crap pedal with my one man bleeder. I bought me an oil can and pumped fluid backwards and I was rewarded with a rock hard pedal. I spent many hours trying to achieve this until I found the oil can method. I now do the front the same way.

Quick Reply: Problem bleeding rear brake