EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Recommend a louder horn for me

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
A horn on a motorcycle is the same thing as a mosquito when he gives the finger to a semi windshield when it and the windshield are about to meet. After you get a louder one, you may also start driving more defensive and that does not start with the horn.....
Baloney

Old 01-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

Hay Gliden, make a youtube of it. I seldom if ever use my Harley horn but it sounds more like a cow bellowing then a horn. Would it fit under a Harley horn cover?

Old 01-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Hay Gliden, make a youtube of it. I seldom if ever use my Harley horn but it sounds more like a cow bellowing then a horn. Would it fit under a Harley horn cover?
I left the rivvco air horn just for looks. These 2 Honda horns are ugly Rip.
They just look like 2 car horns...lol I don't think they would fit under the cow bell. But I didn't try. I stuffed them in my abs empty box.

Loud as hell. Almost wtf kind of loud. I used to tell my buddy by headset to blow that horn of yours while we were rolling on the hi way. The thing always made me chuckle. I'll get my kid at some point to take a you tube of it. I don't know how to make a you tube. I just watch em.

I'll tell ya when it's done. Be a few days though.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:21 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,145 Likes on 6,211 Posts

A horn on a motorcycle is the same thing as a mosquito when he gives the finger to a semi windshield when it and the windshield are about to meet. After you get a louder one, you may also start driving more defensive and that does not start with the horn.....
In the particular incident I mentioned, there were deep ditches on both sides of the road and I was waving my right hand to attract attention after I came to a full stop. The horn was not attracting the attention of the oncoming driver, hence me resorting to hand/arm waving and now seeking a horn that might have helped me in this situation.

You try to make a point with your mosquito / horn analogy but are probably one of the people that preaches "loud pipes save lives."

Thanks for your ever so useful input.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:24 PM
CDF346
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the day guys would use 6 volt horns on a 12 volt bike. Its a lot louder but it will not last indefinetly.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:27 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
In the particular incident I mentioned, there were deep ditches on both sides of the road and I was waving my right hand to attract attention after I came to a full stop. The horn was not attracting the attention of the oncoming driver, hence me resorting to hand/arm waving and now seeking a horn that might have helped me in this situation.

You try to make a point with your mosquito / horn analogy but are probably one of the people that preaches "loud pipes save lives."

Thanks for your ever so useful input.
The last one who hit me was staring right at me as she drove into me .
She might have had a bad day or was tired or who knows.?
The point is , if you ride a motorcycle in todays environment you will probably have some close calls or worse.
I have seen some led brake light systems out there that strobe at high frequency for a few milliseconds before going to full on , they really get your attension ! If there was something available to have a bar switch enabled strobing of a led headlamp i would suggest that this would be the best way to wake up a buzzed out car driver .
If anyone has seen something like this please advise.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by machinehed
The last one who hit me was staring right at me as she drove into me .
She might have had a bad day or was tired or who knows.?
The point is , if you ride a motorcycle in todays environment you will probably have some close calls or worse.
I have seen some led brake light systems out there that strobe at high frequency for a few milliseconds before going to full on , they really get your attension ! If there was something available to have a bar switch enabled strobing of a led headlamp i would suggest that this would be the best way to wake up a buzzed out car driver .
If anyone has seen something like this please advise.
You can buy a headlight modulator and instead of hard wiring it to the light I guess you could insert a momentary on switch to use it as you suggested.
Not a bad idea!!!!

Old 01-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,145 Likes on 6,211 Posts

I have been riding since 1987 and have never had as many close calls as I have had in the last couple of years. Texting and other forms of distracted driving are to blame. The last motorcycle accident I was in, I got hit from behind at low speed by a girl texting. When I walked to her car, after the impact, she was still texting.

Yes, I even rode a Sportster in Japan for a year or two in Japan in the early 90's.

My dad used to put me on his bike when I was 6 years old and I would drive while he sat behind me operating the shifter and rear brakes because my legs were too short to reach.

My point is, I am not inexperienced. The world is just different now.

I upgraded all of my lights towards the end of last year.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

Ouch and more ouch...Know what you are saying.. Guess I'm usually so busy dodging them I guess to find the horn button so far. Have hollered at one coming between two stopped cars from a 7-11. Guess I have just figured if they are close enough to hit you, it's too late for the horn..

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

My strong recommendation is a Steibel air horn. It is ear splitting loud, louder than any car horn and even my Cadillac four horn system on my car.

Cheap and best mod ever. $35 or so from Ebay.

Bolts right up using the factory horn nut.

Here is my thread with pics and video.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-springer.html

Last edited by Joe_G; 01-25-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Recommend a louder horn for me