EVO All Evo Model Discussion

wheel bearing, oil seal removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 04:31 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

Any kind of solvent, but what ever you use (some even use a little gasoline in a cup or coffee can - but typical warnings apply). Kerosene or mineral spirits is less volatile.

However, when all said and done, follow up a final complete flush with brake cleaner in an aerosol can. Get a good complete flush/rinse of whatever your main cleaner was use the straw on spray tip to blow that old grease out of there. Some of the stuff like kero or mineral spirits can leave a film on the bearings. Brake cleaner removes that film.

I like using white paper towels for my final rinse/clean. Any remaining residue will show up on the paper towel and tell me to keep cleaning.

Once clean, you can hold the bearings so the light hits the rollers the right way, and you can see the wear patterns on the rollers. It will tell you the condition of the bearings and if your spacing was set correctly. YD

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...ments/6347.pdf

http://www.nskamericas.com/cps/rde/x...ing_Doctor.pdf

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...light=bearings

Old 02-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Should I mention to use HD wheel bearing grease?

I've also taken out stubborn seals with a slide hammer dent puller. Works great.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:05 PM
johnod
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Should I mention to use HD wheel bearing grease?

Why HD ??

Old 02-05-2015, 03:45 AM
das56170
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnod
Why HD ??
Good question. Would other brands of wheel bearing grease from an auto parts store work?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,341 Posts

We've had the discussion in the past. Any grease "will work," but in my personal experience, and that of the shop I used to frequent, Genuine HD grease, which is a private label of Kendal super blue or something like that, is far superior to other greases out there in this application. Generic grease: Used to replace wheel bearings with tires. HD Grease: Went 50K miles without replacing bearings, until an Indy shop insisted that their grease was just as good and used that. I needed new bearings next tire. Your bike, do what you want.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:21 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,188 Likes on 1,265 Posts

I like lucas red and tacky #2 for wheel bearings.

I clean them in kerosene.

I've got a seal puller but I don't like it. It's too easy to score the inside of the hub. I need to get something better.

carl

Old 02-05-2015, 09:57 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I pop the grease seals out with a big flat head. Mine have always popped right out. I clean the bearings with brake cleaner and make sure they are good and dry, I use compressed air to help out. Be careful blowing on the bearings, don't spin them or blow parts out. I used Lucas green extra heavy duty grease on mine last time. My indie says any good quality extra heavy duty grease will do. They sell Lucas extra heavy duty green at Walmart.

Check the outer race really good. They tend to last a very long time. If the inner race and bearings aren't perfect replace them. You can run the new inner in an old outer as long as the old outer looks good, not burned or scored, etc.. I always buy extra grease seals when I buy them.

Also, there's probably a step washer in there. Pay attention to how that comes out. It only goes in one way.