EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ok help spend money!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts
Default Ok help spend money!!

First off. I like the site a lot but for some reason it has been a real b tch to use. Pop ups. Click on one subject another comes up.so haven't used it much.
Been snowing like crazy here so ole 98 ultra been parked for 25 days
Going to jump on it and do a top end..
Have a spare set of cyls So what pistons do you guys like? How much overbore is safe on stock EVO jugs? Jim's gaskets? Not pulling bottom end out. Heads only guides and valves. Maybe cleanup cut. Compression Just finished my FXRP but that was on a budget. This bike I ride almost everyday . Already is carbed and ev27. Not a touring bike anymore now I have the 2012 ultra Wouldn't even touch it but typical oil now leaking out rear cyl. What pistons come coated?
Going to pull it a part in the next week so need to get ordering
Light touch up in ports but I know to keep volumes close. No polish. Just clean up like I do on intake manifolds
Ok spend away..........can't do a crate motor at this time or it would be done and over

Old 02-17-2015, 04:43 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I like cometic gaskets.
You can go 30 over on your jugs but I wouldn't at one jump.
I would only bore out what you need to and no more.
The best thing you can do is pull the jugs and heads and send them to Scott over at Hillside.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:08 PM
Anthony Paul
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go here http://www.hastingsmotorcycleparts.c...-Kit-TE400.htm

This is what I did. Plus a Andrews 46 cam

They also have lots of other options for the Evo.

Have fun!

Last edited by Anthony Paul; 02-17-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:10 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

AdBlock Plus for your pop-up issues.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I've read about other members suffering problems with pop-ups but have never suffered them myself. May be worth going to the 'Forum Issues' part of HDF, to see if there are any suggestions on avoiding them.

As for your bike I agree with THC that it is worth using a reputable shop to advise on CR and cam and to do your rebore and heads. No substitute for an expert input! I know we can come up with a home-made 'recipe', but ole Stormy will repay a bit of tender loving care, I'm sure!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:17 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Paul
Go here http://www.hastingsmotorcycleparts.c...-Kit-TE400.htm

This is what I did. Plus a Andrews 46 cam

They also have lots of other options for the Evo.

Have fun!
all that is is a set of over bored cylinders / that is if someting should happen you have to throw it all away - no replacement stuff is available like the next size piston again - its at the max when you get it .040 < and they tend to overheat as they are now too thin < none of that is in the discription BTW

Old 02-18-2015, 08:29 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Paul
those are .030 over cylinders 3.528 bore = 83.09ci never had a problem with overheating at that bore. but I do have a problem with the price 600.00 is way to much. buy the piston kit for 250.00 and have your cylinders bored. and only bore what you need too.

stock bore 3.498 =81.69ci at .030 over your only gaining 1.4ci you wont even notice a gain in performance. its kind of sad they are calling it a big bore even worse people are buying it thinking it is.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks everybody Boring is no problem I finally made a set of plates and bore and fit my own now. I also don't care about the next rebuild. Jugs are plentiful around here. But I don't want overheating either. So I guess .030 is were it's at. Wisco I use in other builds I do and Manley sever duty valves. I have heard good things about hillside. But turnaround time for me is a big deal. If I knew 2 weeks I could send out .I would do it as time is money. So time I dont have to do machine work......that i am slow at . I could be doing fab work on customer stuff getting paid. Why can't I be filthy rich ? Hey I got half of it. Lol. Oh a crate would be so much easer. Lol

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 02-18-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Thanks everybody Boring is no problem I finally made a set of plates and bore and fit my own now. I also don't care about the next rebuild. Jugs are plentiful around here. But I don't want overheating either. So I guess .030 is were it's at. Wisco I use in other builds I do and Manley sever duty valves. I have heard good things about hillside. But turnaround time for me is a big deal. If I knew 2 weeks I could send out .I would do it as time is money. So time I dont have to do machine work......that i am slow at . I could be doing fab work on customer stuff getting paid. Why can't I be filthy rich ? Hey I got half of it. Lol. Oh a crate would be so much easer. Lol
Dude if you are doing this for power and you can do all of the above then don't fart around and put a stroker in it.
That will do way more for you than merely boring out 30 thou and higher compression.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

No not doing it for a big difference in power. Just want it sealed up good this time. Wanted to go the big motor route but time is not on my side rite now. I ride this one everyday now( other than the last 30 days lol) see if I can't swing a stroker next year. Nice to be busy but my stuff us last! Darn this site is a SOB now to use. I must have somethin wrong