EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Adding lights to the 88

Old 02-18-2015, 08:01 AM
Retirementtoy
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Adding lights to the 88

I really like to be seen especially from the rear so I have been adding some lighting to the rear of my 88. I would like to add something on the tour pack but have not been able to come up with just what I want to make it brighter. I'll keep looking. Here a pic of the latest addition, it's an old license plate bracket with 6 bullet lights I have the two top ones on as running and the bottom 4 come on as brake. I am working on some old trim lights that go around the base of the saddlebags right now but they aren't ready for pics yet.

Attached Thumbnails Adding lights to the 88-0216151521a-1-.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 08:33 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

I bet you can see it from SPACE already...........looks good.

You ought to post a pic in the dark with them on.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

My tourpak is an 86/87 and came with what I think was an add-on light mounted on the lid, with a twin filament side and brake bulb inside. I added a pair of small red lights, similar to your extra lights, one hanging under each corner of the tourpak. The lights that mount on the rear panel of the tourpak use a different base moulding.

Take a look at this website and scroll down, they have an LED light that fits just below the lid, that should work.

Last edited by grbrown; 02-18-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Retirementtoy
Tourer

Originally Posted by traildog
I bet you can see it from SPACE already...........looks good.

You ought to post a pic in the dark with them on.
I will do that once I get the side lights done.

Originally Posted by grbrown
My tourpak is an 86/87 and came with what I think was an add-on light mounted on the lid, with a twin filament side and brake bulb inside. I added a pair of small red lights, similar to your extra lights, one hanging under each corner of the tourpak. The lights that mount on the rear panel of the tourpak use a different base moulding.

Take a look at this website and scroll down, they have an LED light that fits just below the lid, that should work.
I saw those and they would work only I have a bad spot on the rear of my tour pak right in the middle and I wanted something like the stock lights but I don't want to cut the sides out to make them fit, I did see a wrap around set up on ebay but not sure which one will fit so I have emailed them for more info.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Retirementtoy
I saw those and they would work only I have a bad spot on the rear of my tour pak right in the middle and I wanted something like the stock lights but I don't want to cut the sides out to make them fit, I did see a wrap around set up on ebay but not sure which one will fit so I have emailed them for more info.
By coincidence there is a new thread over in Touring about cutting a tourpak to take the wrap-around lights. It hasn't reached a conclusion yet, but is worth keeping an eye on. May just provide you with the courage to pick up a jigsaw - or axe - and add a few extra lights!

Old 02-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Retirementtoy
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
By coincidence there is a new thread over in Touring about cutting a tourpak to take the wrap-around lights. It hasn't reached a conclusion yet, but is worth keeping an eye on. May just provide you with the courage to pick up a jigsaw - or axe - and add a few extra lights!

I will keep my eye on that one. I added a few more on the bag guards here's a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Adding lights to the 88-0221151557b.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015, 02:49 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that's gonna need a generator off the Queen Mary to supply the juice for all those lights !

Old 02-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny, I got rid of every light I could get away with. Even redid my tour pack to get rid of those lights.
I don't mind lights, I just can't stand to see them.......... Unless they're illuminated.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Retirementtoy
Tourer

Originally Posted by SeaZund
that's gonna need a generator off the Queen Mary to supply the juice for all those lights !
I'm working on making them all led's. The ones on the license plate bracket are led's now so there shouldn't be too much draw.

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
Funny, I got rid of every light I could get away with. Even redid my tour pack to get rid of those lights.
I don't mind lights, I just can't stand to see them.......... Unless they're illuminated.
I have my lights on all the time, I don't want anyone to be able to say "I didn't see you". Really?????
And I am just giving them a try, who knows, they may be gone soon too.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:48 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Retirementtoy
I have my lights on all the time, I don't want anyone to be able to say "I didn't see you". Really?????
And I am just giving them a try, who knows, they may be gone soon too.
If you really think more lights will stop people from saying "I didn't see you." you are underrating the capacity of people to be willfully stupid!!!!!!!!!

You might want to look up something called "Target fixation".
What it basically says is that the more you focus on something to avoid it the greater the chance you have of hitting it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding lights to the 88