EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Old evo heads on a newer evo

Old 02-23-2015, 09:26 PM
wrenchin270
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old evo heads on a newer evo

Hi everyone....so... I recently purchased some evo heads on eBay for $125. Great deal considering they came complete with everything. I have torn them apart and cleaned them and they are in great condition. They're not reassembled yet.

Now after I did all this I put a light down the heads top end breather bolt hole and saw a solid end on the inside of it. Thinking I was just not seeing where the breather hole traveled into the head I put my mouth on it and blew and sure enough...no where for the air to go.

So I think I have arrived at a understanding and maybe I am right maybe I am wrong...please educate me. What I bought off eBay are heads for the evo model for when the evos were vented through the crankcase not the head. Is this right?

Part two of this is supplying pcv to the heads. I have the S&S reed valve in place of the normal plastic camchest oil gear in the camchest and I am assuming I still need some sort of pcv in the heads in one form or another...correct?

This is on my 1996 Electra Glide with the 80 inch evo

Old 02-23-2015, 10:53 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wrenchin270
Hi everyone....so... I recently purchased some evo heads on eBay for $125. Great deal considering they came complete with everything. I have torn them apart and cleaned them and they are in great condition. They're not reassembled yet.

Now after I did all this I put a light down the heads top end breather bolt hole and saw a solid end on the inside of it. Thinking I was just not seeing where the breather hole traveled into the head I put my mouth on it and blew and sure enough...no where for the air to go.

So I think I have arrived at a understanding and maybe I am right maybe I am wrong...please educate me. What I bought off eBay are heads for the evo model for when the evos were vented through the crankcase not the head. Is this right?

Part two of this is supplying pcv to the heads. I have the S&S reed valve in place of the normal plastic camchest oil gear in the camchest and I am assuming I still need some sort of pcv in the heads in one form or another...correct?

those are bottom breather heads your best bet is to sell them and get the right ones.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:26 PM
TheZombie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What years were bottom breathers and what years were top? I have a '85, and it blows (or sucks) air and leaks oil through the front rocker box gaskets. I had the valve guides replaced and I don't remember that happening before.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:45 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by TheZombie
What years were bottom breathers and what years were top? I have a '85, and it blows (or sucks) air and leaks oil through the front rocker box gaskets. I had the valve guides replaced and I don't remember that happening before.
Have you checked your front rocker boxes for warpage?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:08 AM
TheZombie
Intermediate

No, I didn't, but I will. It doesn't look like there's a gap or anything and I guess I never really thought they could warp. I should have been more specific. It seems to be coming from between the bottom and the middle piece of the rocker box. I'm going to take it back apart and put cork gaskets back in it anyway, so I'll check then. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:49 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Originally Posted by wrenchin270

I almost did the same thing. Caught the difference before the heads were shipped. The fella was willing to let me outta the deal. On several recommendations I did that and got the correct stuff . Good luck

WP

I almost did the same thing. Caught the difference before the heads were shipped. The fella was willing to let me outta the deal. On several recommendations I did that and got the correct stuff . Good luck

WP

Old 02-24-2015, 08:28 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by TheZombie
No, I didn't, but I will. It doesn't look like there's a gap or anything and I guess I never really thought they could warp. I should have been more specific. It seems to be coming from between the bottom and the middle piece of the rocker box. I'm going to take it back apart and put cork gaskets back in it anyway, so I'll check then. Thanks for the reply.
I had the same thing except mine was on the rear.
I kept changing rocker box gaskets but it never got any better.
It actually got worse every time I changed gaskets.
When I finally checked I found the middle rocker box was warped.
After I fixed that everything has been fine.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:46 PM
TheZombie
Intermediate

Awesome, man. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'da never thought to try that.