Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:48 PM
stephtell
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Starter trouble 1994 FLHTCU

Goodevening!

Steph here, all the way from Holland...

I own a 1988 FLHTC as well as an FXE1200 and decided this was not enough so picked up a really clean 1994 FLHTCU.

Battery was dead so jumped it with a jumperpack at the shop that was selling it: started up no problem.

Just go home and tried jumping it with my brand new FXE battery (MASSIVE thing) and...a rattling solenoid...so used the pushbutton on the solenoid and...piston moves a fraction and that's it while both jumpercables become warm to the touch...

Checked grounds, and fitted positive cable directly to terminal of the startersolenoid and...same thing.

Then got out my Cayennebattery wich was on a tender and in perfect condition...same thing again.

Took out sparkplugs, now it cranks very very slowly and the cables become hot again.

So the facts:

- starter with a jumperpack a couple of hours ago
- batteries are fresh and easily powerfull enough for the job
- eliminated bad connections by putting positive on terminal and ground on the engine as well as starterhousing
- eliminated hydrolocked engine

So my thinking is the only thing that could be at fault here is a clapped out starter...is that right?

Hope to hear from you, thanks!

Old 02-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Don`t go out and start buying parts.

And don`t replace any parts unless troubleshooting has indicated the part is bad.

The starter motor is not a common failure component (but a lot of good starters get replaced ).

Make sure the battery is fully charged, and then have it load tested. Yeah, we know you say it has plenty of power, new etc.

Seriously, charge it and test it. New batteries can be bad right out of the box.

While the battery is out, clean all the cable connections: battery posts, solenoid posts and terminal, starter motor post.
If the problem persists after you do the above service, it will be time to get the voltmeter out.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-25-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Goede Dag.

I'm with Dan. (uh... Ik ben met Dan...) Start out with a fresh charge on a good battery, clean terminals, good ground. Jumper cables themselves can be suspect. Put a volt meter from the battery negative to the battery cable where it connects to the starter. Try to start it and see what voltage you get. Compare to the voltage across the battery when you try to crank it. There are many failure points, including the starter, but it is rare for a starter to go out.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:25 PM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the positive connector on the starter. My wife's XL1200 had one corroded really bad and it had the same symptoms.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:49 AM
stephtell
Tourer

Right then,

Smacked the starter with a plastic hammer, connected up the same battery but not with jumper cables and hey presto!

Fired right up with the solenoid switch!

When I use the starterbutton it will sometimes crank and it will sometimes do absolutely NOTHING, not even a click so I suspect a dodgy relay there?

Thanks for the advice, fingers crossed for the future!!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:22 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by stephtell
Right then,

Smacked the starter with a plastic hammer, connected up the same battery but not with jumper cables and hey presto!

Fired right up with the solenoid switch!

When I use the starterbutton it will sometimes crank and it will sometimes do absolutely NOTHING, not even a click so I suspect a dodgy relay there?

Thanks for the advice, fingers crossed for the future!!

I would replace the relay.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rebuild the solenoid and clean its contacts.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:07 PM
stephtell
Tourer

I've taken of the solenoid starterbutton-lid and cleaned the assembly but I've no idea where the relay resides....

There's a fusebox on the LHD-side behind the sidepanel and one behind the headlight inside the fairing...but that's as far as I've gotten...

Old 02-26-2015, 02:21 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I've taken of the solenoid starterbutton-lid and cleaned the assembly but I've no idea where the relay resides....

There's a fusebox on the LHD-side behind the sidepanel and one behind the headlight inside the fairing...but that's as far as I've gotten...
Not sure where yours in but mine is under the seat behind the battery.
The service manual should tell you exactly where it is.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:45 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Starter relay should be under the right side cover.

Quick Reply: Starter trouble 1994 FLHTCU