EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Clutch pushrod

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:25 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Clutch pushrod

I posted this in both the Transmission-Clutch and Shovel forums, but haven't gotten any answers yet. Is the clutch pushrod "directional"?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shove...djustment.html

I'm replacing my throwout bearing, and the rod that came in my new kit is definately different on either end.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:07 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaZund
I posted this in both the Transmission-Clutch and Shovel forums, but haven't gotten any answers yet. Is the clutch pushrod "directional"?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shove...djustment.html

I'm replacing my throwout bearing, and the rod that came in my new kit is definately different on either end.
does not appear to be.

Clutch pushrod-ndnzgdo.png

Also the umbrella thing is the oil slinger, an adder in the early 90's, use it. Also they make a beefed up "throwout" bearing

Clutch pushrod-l7rg3ez.png
I lost my throw out bearing, damaged similar to yours, changed the fluid a few times and rode it. No harm no foul. Seemed to shift a little nicer really... LOL!

Last edited by jammerx; 03-04-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:13 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

that picture doesn't show enough detail to see if the pushrod ends are different...but thanks for the effort. I ordered the whole kit, which included the pushrod and 2 end pieces, as well as the new throwout bearing. The kit came with a 9 roller bearing, as opposed to the newer 12 roller. And since it was for a 1980 FLT, it didn't include the oil slinger.

Last edited by SeaZund; 03-04-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:18 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

None of the EVO's or the twin cam I have owned have been different, nor directional. Hillside cycle would probably know if an 80 FLT is...

but it looks like back in the day they used a one piece vice a 3 piece push rod. The small end would have had the throwout bearing as best as I can tell.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-SHOVE...9803a3&vxp=mtr

Last edited by jammerx; 03-04-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

well my 80 FLT is definately a 3-piece setup. That one piece rod would have eliminated any question as to which was to install it.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:32 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the early 5 speed push rods did have different ends one side is blunt and larger diameter that end goes towards the pressure plate the small end goes towards the throw out bearing.

what causes the bearing to fail is improper adjustment as the clutch wears you need to adjust it or it will smoke the bearing and friction weld the rod to the ends.
I check mine every 300 miles with a new clutch if it doesn't need an adjustment after 900 miles I switch to 1000 mile checks.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:51 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

Awesome, thanks, Dale...I had a feeling you would know. That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a million...again !

Old 03-04-2015, 09:55 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by D_gyver
the early 5 speed push rods did have different ends one side is blunt and larger diameter that end goes towards the pressure plate the small end goes towards the throw out bearing.
is there any chance I can replace the pressure plate side pushrod end piece by pulling it through the mainshaft with a magnet on a stick?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:19 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaZund
is there any chance I can replace the pressure plate side pushrod end piece by pulling it through the mainshaft with a magnet on a stick?

as long as its clean and no burnt oil or dirt on it. it will slide thru

Old 03-05-2015, 04:09 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

ok, I'll spray some PB Blaster in the shaft and gently whack it a few times using the old pushrod and a dead blow. Perhaps I need a stronger magnet. Hard to find one small enough to fit the shaft.

Quick Reply: Clutch pushrod