EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What glue is recommended to repair cracks in plastic saddlebag backs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 01:05 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Damn nice job Joe!!!!!!!!!
When I fist saw those cracks I thought there is no way in hell your gonna be able to fix that!!!
But you damn sure did!!!!!!!
Thanks THC! Yes these things feel stronger than new thanks to the screen reinforcement! I couldn't be happier with this easy fix.

Heck I think I could sculpt some art out of milk jugs with this cheap kit. It's so easy to do once you get the hang of it, the HDPE works like thick butter.

I was going to fool around with glue which I've had bad luck with. I'm glad I got the tip to buy a cheap plastic welder. This is definitely the way to fix these bags.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by indiablue
I had a crack develop in my left saddlebag on my '91 FLSTC. Started small and, as yours did, it grew. I ended up going to Menards (I'm in MN) and picked up the plastic welding kit that I believe others mentioned in their responses. It worked great. Included in the kit was a section of metal screen just like you would have in a screen door as well as some sections of plastic filler rods. The filler rods are just filler material but the screen will reinforce the repair area.
All you have to do is clean and scuff the repair area. Cut a section of the screen large enough to cover the repair area. Heat up the iron and press the screen with the iron into the melting plastic in the repair area. Cover the screen with more filler rods by gradually melting the rods with the iron until covered. You can dress the repair by sanding if you want. I left mine as is but tried to a least blend it or feather it out so that it's not too rough.
Mine has held and is way more ridged than it was previously.
Really easy fix that will only cost you about $20 and an hour or so of your time. Good Luck!
Indiablue I realize that you had the right recommendation a few days ago. Thank you too for your help and input!

Joe_G

Old 03-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
These bags feel as sturdy as new!

I live in Davie just south of where you grew up. I'm from Missouri and I like Davie as it has a Midwestern horse farm feel. A bit too many rebel flags for my taste but overall a great area.

Overall I'm very happy with the repair and I think I saved these bags. Thanks again Tony_N for taking your time to research this! My 12 year old finds out how to do everything he wants to do from Youtube, you think I'd learn from him. Lol
Glad it worked and it looks good.

Davie's nice...next time I'm down visiting family I'll have to give you a shout.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tony_N
Glad it worked and it looks good.

Davie's nice...next time I'm down visiting family I'll have to give you a shout.
Sounds great Tony, we have a huge bike meet at Cafe 27 out on 27 at the edge of civilization each Sunday, maybe you can make it one day. Ring me up when you are in town first round on me.

You have one clean scoot there, I miss my Evo and it's good sounds.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:26 AM
indiablue
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the nod. Glad it worked out for you.
Indiablue

Old 01-16-2017, 09:34 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Joe how are the bags holding up after the repair? Noticed that one of my bags is starting to crack at the bottom. They are less than 2 years old. I'll be contacting them tomorrow.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Tony I have new fringed bags now; the old bags that were repaired look great but they haven't been used in a while. That said the plastic weld still looks great but I haven't used it on the bike for a while.

You have nothing to lose and the plastic weld will work great for you I predict.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:36 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Thanks Joe...I appreciate your input.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

That repair looks great! Nice Job!!! YD

Old 01-19-2017, 09:19 PM
97stalker
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

JB Weld worked fine on my 1994 heritage bags that had the same exact problem..

Quick Reply: What glue is recommended to repair cracks in plastic saddlebag backs?