EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1985 and 1986 Wide Glide Owners - Seat Availability

Old 04-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Shasta69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 and 1986 Wide Glide Owners - Seat Availability

Have that 1985 Wide Glide and for the past twenty + years, have gotten accustumed to the solo seat and P-pad option. Now that the wife has another Harley, I'm looking for a new look with a different style seat.

Always liked the one -up gunfighter style seat with plenty of backing for this tired sack of skin and bones, but, if you didn't know, the 1985 and 1986 years for the FXWG have become a dark abysis when it comes to the availabitlity of customized parts (i.e. seats). Manufacturers and suppliers note a limited amount of customer demand (someone indicated Harley made only 70K motorcycles during this time and a limitied number were Wide Glides before they dropped the WG model entirelyin 1986)to retool and make something/parts availablefor another Harley model which is (eh gads) not a Sportster, Softail, or Bagger (sarcasm off).

That said, am looking all over God's creation (including EBay, Dennis Kirk, JP Cycles, HD Wish Books)for a seat which will be wide enought to give the comfort for a hard mounted Evo engine, smooth out a little vibration when that 4 speed transmission is handling a motor turning at 85mph, provides back support for the extended trips,and have the right angle for the bobtail rear fender to swing arm frame. 1984 was the last year for the pogo stick and my frame has the center post pinched (factory) at the top.

Bike is being modified now with new tins and paint. Believe it or not, using high temp BBQ paint for the flat black look (ever see Harley's Street Bob in the Denim Black??? Oh, La, La!). Do have a250 amp stickwith 180 amp rated tig torch via Miller in the garage so I'm not toooo limited on what I can do.

Any one know of some obscure parts house which makes such seat creation?For 85/86 owners, what do you run on your machine?Any ideas? Photos? Just about ready to go to the local sofa recovering shop and have them make me one.

Thanks a bunch and enjoy your day!
-P

Old 04-23-2007, 05:26 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: 1985 and 1986 Wide Glide Owners - Seat Availability

Love the EVO's in the 4 speed frames! Those seats are a bitch to find. If it was me, I'd call Lepera and talk to them. They'll build you a seat from scratch and modify it exactly how you want it.

I did this for my '89 Bagger. I called lepera and told them what I wanted and they built it exactly to my specs. Looks great and works even better.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

I am the original owner of my 1985 FXWG. I have made many mods to it. Hardest parts to fit are seats and exhaust (due to the kick start).

I have the Mustang fastback seat, which they make for the 85-86 FXWG.
I also have the Mustang Vintage and Cobra solos. I have the matching rear pads for each, they can be used as solos or with the rear pad attached. They don't make the Vintage or Cobra solos for the 85-86 FXWG so I got the ones for the earlier shovel model. Just cut off the front forks from the bottom of the new seat and only use the side attachment brackets that come on the seat. Pop the plugs out of the frame tubes, insert the included well nuts an bolt it on. It stays in place just fine. when the rear pad is bolted to the solo you then just use the existing mounting on top of the fender at the rear.

I usually just use the Cobra, since it looks best one the bike. The Vintage is much more comfortable for longer rides but the look is not as good on my customized bike. The Fastback is comfortable also, and has the most lower back support of the three, but also sacrafices some style points on my bike.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Shasta69
Cruiser

Thanks Guys!
Hold on your hats...
Picture with a new seat to follow.
Note: did take your advice and thanks!
-P

Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM
paul69
Novice

Im looking to restore my 85FXWG to factory,willing to buy your two piece with strap if avaible.
Originally Posted by Shasta69
Have that 1985 Wide Glide and for the past twenty + years, have gotten accustumed to the solo seat and P-pad option. Now that the wife has another Harley, I'm looking for a new look with a different style seat.

Always liked the one -up gunfighter style seat with plenty of backing for this tired sack of skin and bones, but, if you didn't know, the 1985 and 1986 years for the FXWG have become a dark abysis when it comes to the availabitlity of customized parts (i.e. seats). Manufacturers and suppliers note a limited amount of customer demand (someone indicated Harley made only 70K motorcycles during this time and a limitied number were Wide Glides before they dropped the WG model entirelyin 1986)to retool and make something/parts availablefor another Harley model which is (eh gads) not a Sportster, Softail, or Bagger (sarcasm off).

That said, am looking all over God's creation (including EBay, Dennis Kirk, JP Cycles, HD Wish Books)for a seat which will be wide enought to give the comfort for a hard mounted Evo engine, smooth out a little vibration when that 4 speed transmission is handling a motor turning at 85mph, provides back support for the extended trips,and have the right angle for the bobtail rear fender to swing arm frame. 1984 was the last year for the pogo stick and my frame has the center post pinched (factory) at the top.

Bike is being modified now with new tins and paint. Believe it or not, using high temp BBQ paint for the flat black look (ever see Harley's Street Bob in the Denim Black??? Oh, La, La!). Do have a250 amp stickwith 180 amp rated tig torch via Miller in the garage so I'm not toooo limited on what I can do.

Any one know of some obscure parts house which makes such seat creation?For 85/86 owners, what do you run on your machine?Any ideas? Photos? Just about ready to go to the local sofa recovering shop and have them make me one.

Thanks a bunch and enjoy your day!
-P

Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM
paul69
Novice

Im restoring my 85FXWG to factory ,90% done . In need of the two piece seat with strap.
also , CARB,MANIFOL,AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY,PIPES,MUFFLERS

Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 PM
boomman
Intermediate
Default 85 FXWG seat

I have a brand new mustang seat for sale if you are interested pm me

1985 and 1986 Wide Glide Owners - Seat Availability-018-1-.jpg

Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 AM
paul69
Novice
Default fxwg85

THANKS, but looking for OEM factory . the closest place for all OEM is RONNIES HARLEY DAVIDSON.COM

Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

I'm the original owner of my 1985 FXWG.
the original seat is 1 peice, although it has the look of a 2 peice.

I recently have removed my original carb, and manifold with new compliance fittings, all in good working condition. Carb currently has a S&S air cleaner with it. I sold the original air cleaner and seat a couple of years ago. I don't have the original exhaust, just sold it a couple of years ago. I've customized quite a bit over the years, but I do have some other original parts sitting around. PM me your needs and offers. I also have a OEM factory tins set that was special ordered through their custom paint program (both fenders, both tanks, all OEM parts)that is in great shape. Dark blue with dual pin stripes (white and lighter blue) on fenders and tanks, and blue/white harley tank logo. All factory custom ordered paint.

Attached Thumbnails  1985 and 1986 Wide Glide Owners - Seat Availability-img_3903.jpg    1985 and 1986 Wide Glide Owners - Seat Availability-img_3901.jpg  

Last edited by pjb; 02-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can use any of the shovelhead wide glide seats?

I am constantly searching for stock harley seats. The wideglide one is one of the toughest to find.

Do you guys remember the factory hd aftermarket fxwg seat with the high backrest that had a pad which covered a secret compartment? Sort of a king and queen plush design. I have one that has never been mounted, I may consider parting with it under the right conditions. It would be perfect for a stock or period correct restoration.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 and 1986 Wide Glide Owners - Seat Availability