EVO All Evo Model Discussion

LED turn signals work... then don't??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Only old fashioned flasher units 'click' AFAIK, because they have a mechanical device inside, I wouldn't expect a solid state unit to make an audible sound (except in a car perhaps). Do you actually have both the original old flasher unit plus the new electronic one? Perhaps they are interfering with each other.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:01 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I didn't realize you had an electronic flasher...don't think you would hear one click...are you sure you are not hearing the breaker? You have one of 2 problems...either the flasher is bad, or it is not wired correctly.

I guess it could be the breaker I'm hearing. The flasher you posted has three prongs. The one I'm using only has 2. And my harness, wiring diagram, etc. only has two wires going to the flasher. Could those two wires be crossed? Would that cause the signals to work and then stop working?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:02 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
Only old fashioned flasher units 'click' AFAIK, because they have a mechanical device inside, I wouldn't expect a solid state unit to make an audible sound (except in a car perhaps). Do you actually have both the original old flasher unit plus the new electronic one? Perhaps they are interfering with each other.

No, just the new one.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Some new electronic flashers do "click." It's a simulated click so that it mimics the old breaker type. You should have a 2 wire flasher unit, LED compatible, and yes, you do not need a "ballast" resistor when using the proper flasher on our era bikes. Like I said, they are a few dollars at any auto parts store. Cheaper than the shipping on anything else you'll buy. Try one.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:00 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They do go bad after a while; I just replaced the one on my Shovelhead, and it does not have LEDs. I then installed a Badlands module. Doing that requires completely removing both the original turn and hazard flashers.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Some new electronic flashers do "click." It's a simulated click so that it mimics the old breaker type. You should have a 2 wire flasher unit, LED compatible, and yes, you do not need a "ballast" resistor when using the proper flasher on our era bikes. Like I said, they are a few dollars at any auto parts store. Cheaper than the shipping on anything else you'll buy. Try one.

This is the flasher I'm using. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/563-375

Frustrating because it initially works fine. Then doesn't. Then after a few minutes of the ignition being off, works again.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SeaZund
They do go bad after a while; I just replaced the one on my Shovelhead, and it does not have LEDs. I then installed a Badlands module. Doing that requires completely removing both the original turn and hazard flashers.

Just spoke to Badlands. The module they suggested will solve my problem as well as giving me the push-on, self cancelling signals. I think that's the direction I'm going in.

Thank you everyone for your time and your replies.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Ahh, solving the problem the old fashioned way: Throw money at it. That usually works out pretty well.

Lots of people like those Badlands modules. I didn't know they made one for our pre-modern cancelling thingie style. Mine are push on-push off. The 87 are push on-hold on.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:38 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Hope that fixes you up .

Old 03-24-2015, 07:31 PM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Thanks again, everyone. Dr. Hess, yes, mine are the push on, hold on type. But this Badlands Ats-03 is a universal unit designed for custom builds and older bikes and gives you the self cancelling feature. I think it was after 11 seconds.

While I'm definitely not the type to just throw money at a problem, I talked to the two manufacturers of my turn signals, as well as Heartland who sold me the Russ Wernimont (sp?) tailight. Also posted here and talked to Badlands. After all that, I still don't have a definitive answer to my problem. I've been building my bike for over two years and yesterday was the first time she's ever been "alive" while I owned her. So if this module solves my problem and allows me to keep going and finish her up, then its well worth the money. Besides, I have a good friend who got it for me at his cost. Every little bit helps!

Quick Reply: LED turn signals work... then don't??