EVO All Evo Model Discussion

LED turn signals work... then don't??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:28 PM
rpmpit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED turn signals work... then don't??

88 FLST with a stock wiring harness. I have Alloy Art leds up front and a Russ Wernimont (sp?) led cateye with integral run/brake/signals. I have a led type flasher installed. Like I said, everything else is stock. When I first turn on my ignition (new build, first time testing electronics) the signals work fine. I hear the flasher "click" and like I said, both front and rear signals work great. But after a minute or so, they stop working. When I hold either signal button in, they light up and just slowly fade off. No more flashing. Shut if off for a few minutes and it repeats - first they work, then they stop.

I've been referred to Badlands/NAMZ for a load equalizer. I'll call in the morning. Can someone just explain to me why they initially work but then stop? I think I'd feel better if they just didn't work at all. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:51 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I believe it's the draw of current is there then becomes insufficient,need equalizer. I added led signals to my 86 using the supplied equalizer, they work perfectly. I have regular tail lamp.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I think your flasher is not working right. I'd replace that. They are only a few dollars at any auto parts store.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:08 PM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by glidein wide
I believe it's the draw of current is there then becomes insufficient,need equalizer. I added led signals to my 86 using the supplied equalizer, they work perfectly. I have regular tail lamp.
Thanks for replying! So initially its sufficient but then becomes insufficient? They supplied an equalizer with my tailight but its designed for the 2001 & later factory harness.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:10 PM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I think your flasher is not working right. I'd replace that. They are only a few dollars at any auto parts store.
Thank you for the reply. That's what's confusing me. If its not working right, wouldn't it not work at all? Not work at first and then stop working??

Old 03-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,233 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess

A "regular" flasher is dependent on load to work correctly...an "electronic" flasher needs no load to work..so using one eliminates the need for "equalizers" which are just resistors.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...pEBhoCSHTw_wcB

Old 03-23-2015, 08:22 PM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
A "regular" flasher is dependent on load to work correctly...an "electronic" flasher needs no load to work..so using one eliminates the need for "equalizers" which are just resistors.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...pEBhoCSHTw_wcB
I'm sorry but are you saying I am correctly using the electronic flasher and no equalizers?

Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 PM
rpmpit
Cruiser

This is the flasher I'm using:

www.jpcycles.com/product/563-375

Old 03-23-2015, 08:30 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You have a led type flasher installed, what does it do with the normal one. What I was gettin at was;think of a flashlight battery going dead and out,turn off for a while and it will light then go back out again, I think there not being supplied enough current. Might even be tripping the breaker. Too much and they may blink really fast.

Last edited by glidein wide; 03-23-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:15 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,233 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmpit
I hear the flasher "click" and like I said, both front and rear signals work great.
I didn't realize you had an electronic flasher...don't think you would hear one click...are you sure you are not hearing the breaker? You have one of 2 problems...either the flasher is bad, or it is not wired correctly.

Quick Reply: LED turn signals work... then don't??